NSS12 EVO 3 Transducer Recomendations

FROZEN

Going to pull the trigger on an EVO 3 in the next few days before the yearly rebates end 31Mar. Garmin 3210 has died. Boat is 22TE.

I'm looking for advice on a transducer selection. The Structurescan HD appears to be the new standard offering. I’m going to transom mount the TD.

I fish the Homosassa/ Crystal River area, and will purchase FMT. I seldom get to more than 50ft depth, with 90 % at 20 feet or less, most of that at 5 feet or less.

Is there anything better for how I use the boat?

Thanks in advance for your input

1 hour ago, dcathey said:

I wish I could fit a 12” evo3 on my 22TE. What year hull do you have?

I have seen 12" units on Gheenos and Small side consoles.. no problem.  There is no reason you could not fit it on your rig if you want unless you insist on flush mounting in a cramped confined space which will not accommodate it which is likely the case.  It just depends on if you prefer the increased functional utility or a flush mount.  In most cases on boats less than 24' the console designs are less conducive to flush mounting a 12" unit.  Flush mounts provide far less in terms of ergonomics vs. using an adjustable mount which will allow floating the unit over the console in a perfect position next to the wheel.  Using an adjustable is not as sleek or clean looking vs. the flush mount but far superior ergonomically in most cases and I think for most inshore boaters the increased functional utility is well worth it.  And if you get a modern high quality mount, the install really can look sharp.

3 hours ago, dcathey said:

I wish I could fit a 12” evo3 on my 22TE. What year hull do you have?

It’s an ‘08. And it has the smaller Maverick CC. I printed out the garmin 3210 template, and the NSS 12 template (Make sure you print both to 1:1.) I do not have a VHF installed, and only a Sony radio on the right side. Comparing the templates, the existing hole is only slightly smaller that is required  for the NSS 12.

I do have two concerns....the stuff inside, behind the unit (NSS appears to be slightly deeper; and the external frame size. The frame size will be tight to clear the right radio and the left edge. It will be close. Vertically  is fine.

The only way to be sure is to remove the Garmin head and lay on the Simrad template. I did make arrangements with the dealer to allow me to exchange the 12 for the next size smaller, if the box is unopened. My installer only has room inside in his shop for two boats, so he schedules to be efficient, which is why we are going this route. I THINK we will be OK. We will see.

DC93CB34-8BC2-415E-8EA6-BC59E69C0E9A.jpeg

7 hours ago, Egrets Landing said:

I have seen 12" units on Gheenos and Small side consoles.. no problem.  There is no reason you could not fit it on your rig if you want unless you insist on flush mounting in a cramped confined space which will not accommodate it which is likely the case.  It just depends on if you prefer the increased functional utility or a flush mount.  In most cases on boats less than 24' the console designs are less conducive to flush mounting a 12" unit.  Flush mounts provide far less in terms of ergonomics vs. using an adjustable mount which will allow floating the unit over the console in a perfect position next to the wheel.  Using an adjustable is not as sleek or clean looking vs. the flush mount but far superior ergonomically in most cases and I think for most inshore boaters the increased functional utility is well worth it.  And if you get a modern high quality mount, the install really can look sharp.

I do have my simrad flush mounted and love the look. I’ll most likely add a second one day when evo3s come down. I can see it perfectly but just love bigger screens. Looking at the 7” in my tower is tough after looking at a 9

5 hours ago, blackacre said:

Frozen,

If you haven't pulled the trigger on the EVO 3, this seems like a pretty good deal on the EVO 2.

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?name=simrad-nss12-evo2-chartplotter-multifunction-display-with-insight-reman&path=-1|344|1970782&id=5531895

Blackacre,

Yeah, that looks good! I have pulled the trigger on a new EVO 3, though. I guess it only costs 75% more to go first class. I’ve gone cheap on a lot in my life ( I don’t throw away cars until 250k or more miles, shop at joe banks, etc,) so I’m treating myself. I fish out of the Homosassa River and surrounding areas (rock city). I can’t wait to see if FMT and a screen I can finally see in some sun, opens up new routes and areas to fish.

Thanks for thinking of me.....great find!

Decided to pick up a Simrad NSS 9 Evo3 while the $400 rebate is still offered.  I like the combination of touch screen and buttons/scroll wheel.

The FMT charts look good for use in unfamiliar areas, but not going to get the chip until they get more tracks for the big bend area.  On one of their YouTube videos they said they were going to do that, but don’t know when.

Now to see what I can get for a used Garmin 4208.

7 minutes ago, all wet said:

Decided to pick up a Simrad NSS 9 Evo3 while the $400 rebate is still offered.  I like the combination of touch screen and buttons/scroll wheel.

The FMT charts look good for use in unfamiliar areas, but not going to get the chip until they get more tracks for the big bend area.  On one of their YouTube videos they said they were going to do that, but don’t know when.

Now to see what I can get for a used Garmin 4208.

Allwet, where in the big bend are you? I fish from Steinhatchee to Port St. Joe. I've been very happy with the FMT chip for the area I fish. I think the tracks are good for the area. Would could use improvement is having the imagery a little further offshore. In our area you could be in less than 4' of water but be 3+ miles off the hill. This is ecpecially true in winter during negative tides. The chip only has satellite imagery close to the shore. The imagery is what really makes the chart a game changer for me. 

Blackacre,

I fish primarily out of Cedar Key, and on up to Deer Island towards Suwannee.  Out to Seahorse Reef, and scalloping in Steinhatchee.  Trailer from Gainesville so sometimes I’lol head east to St. Augustine.

The FMT video of the gulf coast doesn’t show much in this area, he skips on up to the north pretty fast.  

The map for the big bend west of Steinhatchee to New Port Richie was substantively updated in December 2017 with hundreds of miles of additional tracks and fine map details including hundreds of rocks and stakes.  There is tons of detail provided so you know exactly how to run.   The NFL video is not exactly representative of the current map.  A new NFL video will be done this year as soon as the new NFL imagery update is complete which should be before this summer.  We have been working this year to update and improve the clarity of the images for NFL.   The imagery in the entire Big Bend is very challenging to work with to make it highly useful for GPS because the water is dark and there are various image data sets of different quality taken at different times.  Putting it together as one seamless looking image is very challenging and it takes months to get it done properly.  

Archived