Charger/Batteries question

northernsnooker

I bought my 2600 trs last summer and the previous owner did not have a trolling motor. Under the leaning post are 2 batteries, an amp and Minn Kota dual bank on board charger. 

Im planning to add a trolling motor so will need a 4 battery setup. 

Should I move amp into console?

Can I add a second dual bank charger or am I better off just getting a 4 bank charger?  I’m a casual fisherman at best. Any recommendations on a reasonably priced charger?  

Thanks

Yes you will need two more batteries for a 24v TM or 3 if going 36v. On a 26 I would go 36v. Would add a 4 bank charger for 36v. And have it placed with the additional batteries. Sure others will chime in, by no means an expert with chargers and how to hook them up to keep it “KISS” pretty sure you can also use the two you have and just add one battery for a 36 system. 🙂🙂fin

So, right now you have two house/starting batteries and they are connected to an on-board charger. I agree with fin-addict, about needing a 36 volt trolling motor for a boat that size. You could use your house battery provided it's a deep cycle and just buy two additional batteries for a total of 3 batteries for your trolling motor. Sell your present two bank charger for a few bucks and buy a four bank charger, or keep the two bank charger and add another two bank charger. Your present house battery is probably hooked up to the battery switch as a second starting battery. If so, just leave it as is and you will always have a back-up starting battery which is also part of the three bank trolling motor system.  Will all this stuff fit under the leaning post?  Maybe another member has a 26 and can help with that.

Have you thought about mounting the amp and two chargers on the ceiling of the compartment? If the ceiling or top of the box is stout enough, that would give you room for 4 batteries. Another thought would be to mount the chargers and amp in the console. If the charger wires are too short, the instruction/instillation manual usually suggest the correct gauge of wire to extend the charging wires.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2019 at 3:37 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Have you thought about mounting the amp and two chargers on the ceiling of the compartment? If the ceiling or top of the box is stout enough, that would give you room for 4 batteries. Another thought would be to mount the chargers and amp in the console. If the charger wires are too short, the instruction/instillation manual usually suggest the correct gauge of wire to extend the charging wires.

The ceiling won’t work as there is a drawer above the batteries. 

But, I think 4 batteries in the leaning post with 4 bank charger and amp in the console is the way to go. 

Anybody else with a 26 TRS that can share where their batteries and charger are located?  I think I have also seen some put the 3 trolling motor batteries in the forward in floor hatch.