Jump to content

My dry storage... isn't


BlueMojito

Recommended Posts

Gang, 

My front three Pathfinder lockers are getting water in them from rain, and whenever I rinse down the front decks.   I assume the problem is that the gaskets are 13 years old and need to be replaced.  Does anyone have a recommendation on the best replacement, or is it some special MBG item?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Dan

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I buy from McMaster all the time.... I'll take a look at the seals I have and see what they have that will fit.  Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll also take a look at my latches.  I have enough mildew already... no need to add to it.  :)

Dan

PS Just to prove Murphy's law is real... my baitwell seals don't leak a bit.  I'd be fine with a little water in there, but nope... they stay dry!  :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are the closest replacements I can find:

For the side lockers :https://www.mcmaster.com/93085K24

For the front hatch: https://www.mcmaster.com/93085K81

These are both adhesive backed, which should make it a bit easier to install.  I will have to remove all the old glue from the old seals after I pull them up.

Just for reference, here's what mine looked like after 13 years or so:

IMG_2551.thumb.jpg.29af3dcfd748301008298803a27c1cb6.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Success!   My rod locker now closes with a bit of "cushion" feel to it, but still latches very easily.   

I peeled off the old seals, and used "Formula 747 Adhesive Remover" from Home Depot to remove the black adhesive that remained.  It took a few coats, but be patient and let it work, and you can use a plastic scraper to remove 95% of the old adhesive.   I followed up with a green Scotchbrite pad with a bit of xylene and that got every last bit of the old backing off, and left a squeaky clean surface.  A quick wipe with some paper towels and I was ready to peel and stick.

I'll do the others tomorrow and post some pictures.  This is actually a pretty easy job, since for the side lockers you don't even need to get in the boat.  :)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are a few pictures of the process... it's very easy.  The adhesive remover does all the hard work.  Just brush it on and let it sit for an hour.   Scrape off the sludge, and repeat once or twice.   

If any members in the Jacksonville area want to give this a try, just let me know.  I've got plenty of leftover 747 :)

 

IMG_2564.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The main hatch is now completely dry, even if I spray water from a nozzle along the gap between the hatch and the deck.  Bernie is correct in that the latches do drip a bit, but I think I can fix that.  I see what look like seals on the shaft of the latch, so they may just need to be replaced.

The side lockers are much better, but won't pass the nozzle test.  The issue is that the lids and the compartment have a bit of variation in the gap.  In some sections, the new flat foam is perfectly dry.  In others, there is still a bit of a gap and water can get through.

One other note... one locker's lid is clearly sitting about an 1/8th of an inch or more higher than the other, so it allowed water to pass almost all the way around.   I suspect that's just part of the normal variation... it's not like these are machined parts.  :)

I need something thicker than the 1/4" foam rubber seals I used on the side lockers, something with a larger range of compression.  I may do the two side lockers again with a hollow core foam that will compress.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...