Cover treatment

mulligan

My boat has always been in a boat shed since I got it so the cover was only on for added protection.  Moved to a new house that does not have a boat shed yet.  Do you guys put anything on the cover to help protect it? Also how do you air the boat out with the cover on?  I always just left the boat uncover for a few days with hatches open then put the cover over the boat, that is not happening now with all the trees around the boat.

I always sprayed mine with the waterproofer from Wal Mart in the camping section, the one with the orange top, not the 3m stuff. I'd always just pull the sides up on a nice day and get some air moving around under the boat. My cover was blackz so it got caught.

Coleman & 3m tent waterproof spray works well as does the Starbrite cover sealer. I don't use either anymore. In my experience even the highest quality covers can only be counted on to last up to 5 years before they deteriorate in direct FL sun, with or without waterproof treatment. My current mist grey Carver Supreme Aquashield cover has worn well the past 2 years but I don't expect it to last 5. I let a small fan run 24/7/365 under my cover with my console & all my hatches cracked open to allow constant air circulation & keep bilge dry. 

Archived