Prop Selection

Dan Zicari

I have a 2001 Master Angler 21 with a VMAX OX66 225 and need a little help selecting a new prop. Has anyone had experience with the ELE PowerTech props? I'm thinking of the 3 blade 14 1/4 21 pitch. If anyone else has this boat engine combo I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Dan

I had that same combo. The 21 likes a lot of stern lift, and a 4 blade does it better than a 3. Powertech OFX is the prop I would suggest in a 19 or 20. 

Sure they are faster props out there, but its a big boat that can get heavy with a well full and 3 dudes. a 4 blade OFX has amazing grip, lift and hole shot. mine ran square thru the rpm with a 15.25 x 20. (square meaning 4500 rpm = 45 mph … all the way up to 59)

Let us know what you pick and your running numbers.

I had a 19 ofx on my 22 pathfinder with 200 SHO. Trust me that is not a great prop for lifting. The boat ran so low in the water the spray was almost even with the center console. I put on a tempest plus I had on a previous boat. I was amazed how much difference it made in the way the boat ran. I run the tempest plus and enertia props and was very happy with the boat.

I have sense flashed my motor. I have run the Bravo 1fs against tempest plus and they are very well matched props. If you step up 1 inch of pitch from tempest to bravo your top end speed will not suffer. 

I would say with 225 horses look to the tempest plus 21 or enertia 21 or step to the Bravo1FS or xs in 22 pitch. 

I’m in Savannah but I have a couple of the above mentioned 3 blad  props if you want to try them. 

I have an ‘07 21 MA VZ250 vmax. The old prop was a Yamaha 3 blade SHO 23 pitch. The numbers were 63+ mph @5400 RPM with 4 batteries & 1/4 tank of fuel..., all bait wells empty, 10" Bob's jack plate 2-3” up, 1 person in the boat, no windscreen and a poling platform. Same day changed out to a Solas 4 blade 14"/21 pitch & the numbers surprisingly went higher to 64+ mph at 5600 RPM and noticeably better pop to plane... No blow out in turns either which was bad with the SHO blade. Can't argue since its only $300. 

JT, I have an '08 21 MA with a VZ250 vmax hpdi. i have a Powertech OFX4 23 pitch. The OFX models are 15.25 inch diameter. I get a top speed of about 62 mph. I am pretty happy with it. I was considering going down to a 21 pitch to see how much better of a hole shot I would get. It's rare that the conditions are such that I run at WOT, so losing a couple mph but gaining a better hole shot would be fine with me. I wonder if there are other owners of a 21' MA with the 250 hpdi that are running other props? If so, I would love to hear from them.

Archived