Outboard prop loses it's bite in a turn

wrhatt

I have a 2000 Pathfinder 2200V with the pocket transom with a same year 150 Yamaha outboard two-stroke with a 3 bladed Power Tech prop. There are no markings telling me the pitch of the prop. It does not have a jack plate. Top speed with just 1 in the boat is 48mph, When on plane it takes very little movement of the motor before it over trims and the prop loses bite. Going in a straight line is no problem, but if you turn to the left or right more aggressively the prop loses bite. The motor is positioned as low as it can go on the transom. Any suggestions or our ideas on how to correct this (besides not turning)? Thank you

How long since the prop has been refreshed? If you don't want to try another prop, you can have yours tuned up. Steve's Custom Propellers, in Quitman, TX is great! He turns props around in a day, sometimes two. I've shipped out to him on a Monday and had my prop back on Friday (from Jacksonville, FL). Other than that, I'd run a nice, reputable, 4 blade prop to cure the cornering blow out.

Thank you for the suggestions. I had figured it was either the prop or the need for Jack Plate. I didn't know which direction to go. But it appears the prop is the suspect. When trimming the boat it does not porpoise, but the prop will lose bite first. I do not know when the prop was refreshed it came with my boat when I bought it last year. Thank you again.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, wrhatt said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I had figured it was either the prop or the need for Jack Plate. I didn't know which direction to go. But it appears the prop is the suspect. When trimming the boat it does not porpoise, but the prop will lose bite first. I do not know when the prop was refreshed it came with my boat when I bought it last year. Thank you again.

You do not need to buy a jackplate to solve this problem....call Marcus at Power Tech Propellers...tell him every detail of what you are experiencing....he can solve this.  He is owner of Power Tech  , call him 318-688-1970....also known as Funkey Monkey on this site.