Chart plotter Recommendations

RockDaddy

I am going to replace my Garmin 545s.  Dealer is recommending a garmin EchoMap plus 94sv.  I fished with a Simrad last week and the side sonar was very good.  I am considering the Simrad Go9 xse. Budget is $1500 or less.  I fish in coastal waters in NC.  2003 Pathfinder.  Any recommendations or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Like 1

This topic will get a lot of discussions and opinions.....I fish a 22 Pathfinder out of South Georgia....I have a Garmin 94 sv and it works great and is simple to operate.  The side scan, split screen, sonar, navigation, etc etc all work well. I have the G3 chart / card and am very happy with the unit and Garmin’s support staff. 

Depends on what you like and what you budget is you have that one worked out, Simrad Go great units some folks complain in a chop being difficult to use being a pure touch scree. Elite TI 2 Products have some button functionality off to the side, and some love the Garmin products and complain about the chart options, I like the Lowrance line because it what I've always used and the Sat Imagery chips I use. Like Fisherman JJ said loads of opinions but they all work.   

Just installed a Garmin 74cv with the software and g3 update. Suits my needs very well. Many say do not go with the go9, better simrads on the market. Go and checkout yourself and see what meets your needs. Touch screen not as good as knob or buttons in a chop so they say, did not have a problem with my 740s on a 34 footer. 16-24 May have one. Fin 😀

I just went through the same thing... ended up with the Garmin942xs.   I was very happy with my Garmin 740s, so I just upgraded.  The 942xs has NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000, so a simple NMEA 2000 cable  plugs into the Command Link bus connector.  It's the same cable I had on the 740s.  That gives me all the engine info on a display if I so choose.

I've just connected it to my GX1700 VHF via NMEA 0183, but haven't had it on the water yet to test that connectivity.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 4:31 PM, RockDaddy said:

Thanks guys.  I am leaning towards to Simard Go9 xse.  Any other comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

See my post on Lowranace vs Simrad.....$ for $, you should consider the Lowrance...same company different platform....suitable for the FMT....talk with forum member COTO...he's been running his Elite for a few months now....if I had to replace, I'd go Lowrance for equiv. $$$ and get a bigger screen vs Simrad after having used on for the full day last week.

I only went Simrad for the value I could get at the time.....close out....

dc

I have the Lowrance Elite 12Ti and it is great.  There are times I kind of wish I got the 16".  Mine is installed on top of the console and is really easy to see while driving.  I also have the FMT and it opens up a lot of areas for me to fish that I was always too scared to due to oysters, especially the Choko area.  

I got mine at Bass Pro for $1500 with transducer a year ago.  The price was only in the stores at that time.  

Thanks guys. I fished with a guide two weeks ago that works with Simrad.  He said to make sure I got the Active Imaging transducer, not the TotalScan.  Turns out that my dealer can't get Simrad Go9 bundle with that transducer yet.  I had already started looking at the Lowrance.  I think it is out of my budget but I saw the HDS Live 9 and it is awesome.  I'm going to try and find an Elite Ti to look at.

5 minutes ago, RockDaddy said:

Thanks guys. I fished with a guide two weeks ago that works with Simrad.  He said to make sure I got the Active Imaging transducer, not the TotalScan.  Turns out that my dealer can't get Simrad Go9 bundle with that transducer yet.  I had already started looking at the Lowrance.  I think it is out of my budget but I saw the HDS Live 9 and it is awesome.  I'm going to try and find an Elite Ti to look at.

I just installed an HDS 9 LIVE and also an HDS7 LIVE and have an Elite 7Ti with the TotalScan xducer that I am going to sell if you are interested.