2001 Pathfinder 2200 Interior Finish??

Flatschaser

Just recently bought a 2001 Pathfinder 2200 and have been very impressed with the boat. My one question is about the interior finish of that year boat. What isn’t non-skid still seems to still have a rough gelcoat finish and not smooth gelcoat with a shine. Was that the finish for them back around those years? 

That could have been the factory finish or a re-do by a previous owner. Like George said, a Marine compound and a stiff brush will help bring it back to it's original state. However, the original state might not have much of a shine. Try a small area and send a comparison pic.

14 hours ago, Flatschaser said:

Just recently bought a 2001 Pathfinder 2200 and have been very impressed with the boat. My one question is about the interior finish of that year boat. What isn’t non-skid still seems to still have a rough gelcoat finish and not smooth gelcoat with a shine. Was that the finish for them back around those years? 

My 2001 Pathfinder 2400v also had a satin finish on the non skid sections of the inside of boat excluding the center console, the center console was slick and shiny like the exterior gel coat. ...I was told by the dealer in Marco Island back then, that the reason Pathfinder finished  the interior in satin , was to reduce glare on your eyes. ??  

14 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

My 2001 Pathfinder 2400v also had a satin finish on the non skid sections of the inside of boat excluding the center console, the center console was slick and shiny like the exterior gel coat. ...I was told by the dealer in Marco Island back then, that the reason Pathfinder finished  the interior in satin , was to reduce glare on your eyes. ??  

That would be a great way to describe it. The non-skid looks like typical non-skid but what isn’t non-skid has a rough satin finish. Except for the center console, it is shiny smooth gelcoat unlike the rest of the boat. 

• Like 1

My 02 had a “satin” or “matte” interior finish your talking about. My 03 was the more typical shiny. I think I remember the brochure for the ‘02 calling it something like “hose and go” finish or similar  

I really, really liked it for its low maintenance 

• Like 1

Mine was the same matte look. It’s nice because it doesn’t produce much glare or reflection from the sun. You can polish it up pretty good with compound and a polisher, but then it’s just one more thing to maintain. I did my ‘02 and the results were nice, but it became more surface area to towel dry and wax every so often. 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:56 PM, Flatschaser said:

What would be a good stiff brush to use with the compound? 

I've seen round stiff brushes that fit on a handheld polisher/grinder type machine. The idea of a stiff brush would allow the compound to get down in the lower areas. Might have to Google around. If all else fails, just go to Home Depot and get a stiff brush that threads on a pole.