24 volt or 36 volt trolling motor for 23 HPS?

East Coast Dave

Not much  thought needed. Go with a 36 volt.

This weekend I was fishing with /against friends in a friendly tournament.  A friends boat 22 Sportsman was in a spot that I normally  fish. We we had to set up further down than ideal. As we were approaching he started to leave and as we talked he said they were leaving as his 24 volt motor could not hold. We set up with my 36 volt minn kota fished awhile and caught a sheephead that won some money. 

Always go with max hp feasible and as much voltage /thrust possible. 

I couldn’t imagine a 24v on my 23, that’s a lot of weight and hull to pull around all day. I guess it depends on how much you use it and the tide/current you fish against. I would think the extra 65 lbs. from one more battery is negligible...If I’m by myself with half tank of fuel and a few rods, I run 62.5. Loaded out with more rods, cooler, extra fat person, and live well, I run 62.5. 

Not using a Rhodan but MK Terrova 80 Lb, 60" shaft, 24V, works very well on a 2300, not sure how stiff a current or wind you plan on fishing in as Brad has mentioned above, same set up on a friends SH BX24 and the issues I've seen with the taller gunnels and Carolina flair are the sail effect from the wind when it's blowing pretty good on the hull till you get it straightened out into the wind, again I'm not familiar with Rhodan but MK spot lock I'm a believer. I do a bunch of inside/ bay fishing winds hit 15/20knt. I'm on the inside     

5 hours ago, East Coast Dave said:

It already setup with 36 so this just confirms what I was thinking.  I plan to do some inlet fishing and I fish docks all the time in the current. I’ve been kicking around the idea of starting to bottom fishing a little too. My buddies say the spot lock in a game changer. No anchoring.

Spot lock IS a game changer! I am not a one who likes a lot of change and thought I’d never go away from the tried and true tiller handle, but I did and I love it! I see 5-6’ tides up here in NE FL, and we do go out and spot lock over wrecks. Looks like you’re already heading the 36v direction, which when inlet fishing for any period of time, is the right choice. 

Don't want to derail, but I'm thinking of upgrading my 82 lb. hand control trolling motor. Do all of these new trolling motors hand over the front of the boat? In the pics that I see, they seem to hang over the bow about 8 inches. Do they make a mount that allows the motor to stay within the confines of the boat.

My MK on my old Pathfinfer hung off a good 4 inches or so and the shaft was pretty close to the nose of the boat. I used to worry when I was parking the trailer that my wife or kids would step on the boat and bang it it up against the dock or get it hung-up on edge and break something. I always thought there had to be a better way. I had a buddy that had an Intrepid and the trolling motor had it own compartment that lowered into. It was different....  maybe that’s why they stopped making bay boats. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks finbully, the pic helps. Is there any way for you to measure how far the motor and mount sticks out past the rub-rail??

I Googled (U-tube) the adjustable mount that Goatro talked about and it seems like that's the ticket for keeping the motor within the confines of the boat. Goatro, what is the maximum (in and out) adjustment for the mount? Thanks in advance!

When I drive into my lift, there is a dock built in a "V" shape just like the shape of the boat. I'm concerned about ramming the trolling motor into the dock, so that's the need for all these questions.  

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:03 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Didn't get any answers about the trolling motor hanging over the front of the boat. Does the Rodhan hang over the bow????????

Mine extends just under 9" beyond the point of the bow 7" up from the top of the deck.

• 4 weeks later...