How much gas is in your tank?

JT Quinta

On 5/8/2019 at 1:32 PM, George Seither said:

JT, Not sure who's GPS/Sonar your using but I'm reasonable sure 06HDPI Fuel Data is available from the engine, you might just need a engine data cable (Est $100) for which ever GPS/Sonar your using, look at the PDF below for what data can be picked up on the much older carb units the installation of a flow meter( EST $200) to a NEMA 2000 network get accurate Fuel flow to your desired device

Yamaha Engine NMEA2000 Connection.pdf 546.85 kB · 6 downloads

I am using a Garmin CV73 which is NEMA 2000 compatible. I have racked my brain on the internet to no avail. It appears from what I have put together that I would still need a "paddle wheel" sender in the fuel line after the filter to make this work. I may be wrong...., or,  is there a pigtail on the outboard motor that can be connected with the GPS unit in order to convey the information on fuel use for the HPDI. If anyone can chime in that knows the answer or an alternative solution to get fuel flow data it would be great. It seems that the NAVMAN 2100 fuel metering system would have been the dedicated solution, but they have stopped making those gauges for years. 

On 5/7/2019 at 3:05 PM, jason p said:

I had a engine data cable I got from BOE on the HPX. It plugs into the diagnostic port of the motor and displays on your GPS via NMEA 2000 network. Reads fuel flow to the injectors from the ECU, gives MPG, remaining fuel, burn rate, etc... as well as water temp, pressure, oil pressure, etc...

Was this difficult to set up or did you have your local dealer do it for you?

It’s really easy, you need to buy a NMEA 2000 starter kit which will have the power cable and a “T fitting” then everything else you want plugs into the powered T fitting via more T fittings (one T fitting per component). Super clean since one power wire runs everything. 

Thanks Gents..., problem may be solved with the NMEA 2000 starter kit noted above and the Garmin in line paddle wheel. My screen on the Garmin is 7" and I have no idea how the flow is displayed on the Sonar / GPS unit. I also am looking into connecting straight into the Yami 250 with a separate dash gauge. 

If BOE or anyone else has a data cable for your motor I’d go that route. Much simpler instal and you get other engine info as well. When the grass was really bad in FL Bay I’d leave my engine gauges displayed so I could use engine temp to monitor how much grass was on the lower unit and remove it before I got the buzzer.