Garmin Sat Imagery Chart Options

George Seither

Made a few calls and asked a few questions on Garmin Chart Options, First I am a Lowrance User and have never used a Garmin Unit, using the forum there are definitely folks that believe in Garmin so there is Sat Imagery Software available for Garmin's, Coverage the entire Gulf Coast East Side of Florida to the Tip of Texas not sure it'll be of any value but here it goes, if it helps the member that can't afford to switch or update to newer units or prefers the Garmin product might be a good option.  During star up it appears the Garmin is a bit slower in loading the map overlays or the way it processes the data, not sure which, once uploaded the imagery runs and tracks just fine, see the video  below, asked about the 3 different levels of e-maps Standard being Sat Overlay with waterway names, Premium Level with Low Water Tracks, Professional with known reef markings, I know there's more detailing I've misses and apparently the Sat Overlay data is available, the Premium E-Map with known tracks is being developed this questioning was for South Florida and the Key's. My intentions are to stop by the manufactures location and play with it a bit in the near future. I have used this Sat Imagery software ( Louisiana) for a while and it works. It appears that Garmin is listening and is working with these folks.

• Like 2

Looks interesting, too bad the user does not know how to use the unit while making a video to show how good it is. Embrassing for him and Garmin. Started to fumble his words. Does not encourage me as a Garmin user or want to switch to Garmin. Video did more harm than good imho. ☹️Fin

Fin,

Being a non Garmin user I just wanted to see the sat imagery running on a Garmin unit and it was running it and apparently they are working thru some compatibility issues see the link on THT for compatibility and issues they are having and working

https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/992373-new-garmin-standard-mapping-wont-upload.html?992373=#post12309591

Egret,

When you zoom in on the Lowrance it sure will get fuzzy I use 7 and 9" units, but for what I use it for I never zoom in that close, I will say running tight canals in the darkness and fog in the marsh it works for me, it's a tool that I use. If it's a clear night with some moon light the GPS won't be turned on,  some folks like it some don't but it is an option for Garmin users.

On 5/11/2019 at 4:54 PM, fin-addict said:

Mod, 

may I ask what in this thread was not civil, confused. Please explain. Thank you.

Read my post again! It was straight forward. I did not indicate "THIS" thread was not civil! I indicated that the "PREVIOUS" threads (RECENTLY)  pertaining to this subject matter have become contentious. My post was a "friendly reminder" to maintain civility due to the contentious history of this subject matter!

MOD2

Update on visit to play with the Imagery software and look at a second Lowrance Elite TI2 for the 2300, first in discussions with the vendor visited everything I saw was due to the way Garmin processes the data and overlays the information and images, the updating of the Imagery overlay while scrolling the touch screen is slow to update in some cases if you scroll full screen the Garmin takes a while to catch up like 5 to 10 seconds it's the way it is ITWII ( It's The Way It Is). magnifications played with  zoom .8 Mile, .5 Mile, .2 Mile, .1 Mile .1 mile look the best if you start to over zoom it fuzzes up more zoom more fuzziness ITWII. On the land overlays of the imagery all appear reddish and white  and another of the way Garmin Displays the images ITWII. JPG 05 Chatham River View at .5Mile with some routs. JPG 906 Keys view at .2Mile. JPG 907 Everglades Waterway view at .1 Mile. JPG 908 Everglades Waterway at .8 mile. Garmin is assisting in correcting some of the issues seen, how fast and when I can't answer that and I am a Lowrance User. Apparently the way Garmin and Lowrance process and display information are way way different. Also caution should be used if considering this, call Garmin first software compatibility issues with older units some 3 years and older. In being reasonable IMO in the initial development they have some obstacles they are working and need to overcome. As requested by the Mod. it will remain civil. Seeing is believing enjoy.

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

OMG.. that looks like a dangerous nightmare.    That is absolutely incredible it was released for sale.   Good luck to anyone who tries to run with that.  Did the sales person promote this as something you should purchase or were they offering apologies and excuses?  I can't wait to run over to the Garmin booth at ICAST in July to see how they try to spin this.   How embarrassing.

I don’t understand what is going on with this thread.

This the Garmin satellite imagery that is similar to FMT? Why are there different levels of it - classic, premium, professional? 

I don’t see any explaination of what any of that is 

Edited by justfish

Not FMT and by no means doing a comparison to FMT but sat imagery that looks like an option for Garmin users,  from what I saw still has a few issues but I believe they are working the issues, when will Garmin work out the issues is the million dollar question, I did actually played with it on a 10" Garmin Monitor and it did run with some very reasonable resolution and looked very useable IMO. Some opinions will differ.

I'm a Lowrance user as well, it's all I have ever used but not a FMT user or better said not a LMT user just yet, I do use the Standard Mapping software and it works well for the area I'm in,  It's also definitely obvious that Garmin and Standard Mapping have partnered up for Sat Imagery for the Garmin Products. How do Garmin customers take to it remains to be seen.

12 hours ago, Skinny Running said:

OMG.. that looks like a dangerous nightmare.    That is absolutely incredible it was released for sale.   Good luck to anyone who tries to run with that.  Did the sales person promote this as something you should purchase or were they offering apologies and excuses?  I can't wait to run over to the Garmin booth at ICAST in July to see how they try to spin this.   How embarrassing.

We get it...you hate Garmin! But please chill out. I don't think anyone on this forum appreciates this type of post; it's not helpful. 

When I bought my new unit from Garmin , they said this would be coming out soon .

My unit came with the G3 Navionics preinstalled and will say , It is a huge improvement .

I am really curious who will pull the trigger first , and be my Huckelberry .

Starting my timer for Egrets reply .

🇺🇸☠️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Paul...that's the Chatham..our home-bases.....you  can run that one with ur eyes closed....I once .ran the Houston, first entrance, years ago on a negative low, no GPS, Jackplate on 5, trimmed up, 5 foot rooster tail in the 22 Pathy......forget about FMT....just read the water and hope you make the right choices at 25mph :)   If not, it's wooo wooo wooo time :)

In all seriousness, I agree with Mod....let's have some fun....we all know FMT has changed things.....good thing...but, it has zero application for off-shore, therefore, no need to bash others who have them.....or, just don't need the FMT for their application in fishing the sport.....let's keep the posts to info and not aggressive opinions

DC

IMG_0905.JPG