Which boat. 2000 or 2200

Tailchaser83

Tried to make a deal.  Boat was at dealership on consignment.   Boat checked out except bearing.  Asked for them to be gone thru.  Dealer said he can’t fix until I pay for the boat.   And asked that i wire full money and sign sales agreement (have not seen in person).  Thought this was fishy.   I said I would bring bank check Saturday,  he informed me he would have to hold boat till check cleared.  I offered to bring $100 bill and he said he would have to fill out a form and did  not want to do that   (He is asking a $500 fee to sell me the boat on top of consignment) 

I tried my best to pay him , but I walked as deal felt wrong. He said he had others offering more.  

back in the hunt!!! 

12 hours ago, Tailchaser83 said:

Boat was at dealership on consignment.

Again, just my opinion and experience - don't buy a used boat (or car, for that matter) from a dealer!

Nothing wrong with this, but dealerships are in the business of making money.  Generally, they will take a trade-in, giving the owner far less than they could get by selling the boat themselves, then do little or nothing at all to maintain or even check the quality of the used boat, then try very hard to sell it at a steep markup.  Consignment, similar story.

I sold my 2009 V 2000 for $25,000.  It was in the best condition anyone could ever want in a used boat...looked great, ran great, had the paperwork for every service from the 10 hour initial service on thru to the last trailer service for bearings, etc.  I would not let the new buyers make the deal without a sea trial (even though they wanted to) AND I delivered it to St Augustine, FL.  On the way to Florida, one of the trailer side lights stopped working.  Since I had told the new buyers that everything was working, I had to admit that a light was out on the trailer and when they gave me the cash for the boat (after sea trail), I pealed off a hundred dollar bill and gave it to him to cover the cost of fixing the light.

Here was the boat at 1,000 hours...

Miss_Laurie-15.thumb.jpg.f1cad7f62351fbac23472fb700054a4e.jpg

Miss_Laurie-12.thumb.jpg.931250a60a478bacac87f6a0e18befb2.jpg

Miss_Laurie-8.thumb.jpg.48de7b4b22ee9ac3281047f3fb36dcb2.jpg

My point is that you can get a great used boat from an individual seller.

I bought the Pathfinders new but a few years ago I bought a used (old-classic) Donzi Sweet 16.  

A 3-part process.  First, went to see the boat in person.  If that went well, took it out for a sea trail.  If that went well, took it to a mechanic and payed for a general evaluation.  I always discussed the process with the seller at the beginning.

Wound up purchasing the 4th Donzi I saw.  First one did not pass the "visual inspection", i.e., does she look good.  Second one, looked great and did well during sea trails but the owner refused to allow the "look see" by my mechanic (even though I was paying for it).  Red flag!  The third one looked sort of OK but was owned by what could generously be called an "eccentric"  old coot who as we went out for sea trail, pulled on an old leather, barn stormer like helmet and googles, put them on and off we went.

So, it takes some time and travel but with that 3 step process, you can buy a good boat from an individual and save the dealer mark-up.

Good luck!

Miss_Laurie-5.jpg

Miss_Laurie-10.jpg