Trolling motor question

East Coast Dave

I have a 36 volt Minn Kota tiller trolling motor. Switching out to spot lock type. Sonny will have on for sale if anyone is looking for one. Here’s my issue from the guy who hates to drill holes in his boat.

I wanted to switch to Rhodan, but they use different pucks. So then I thought I could go back with Minn Kota, but remember that my last Pathfinder it stuck off the nose 4 inches or more. So chances are, the puck would need to move forward and I would likely have to remount it anyway. Am I correct with my thinking on the puck or square quick release that remains on the deck? Interesting enough, I called Rhodan and they said their puck was different, however the holes aligned with Minn Kota’s.

Thanks. 

On 5/16/2019 at 7:06 AM, East Coast Dave said:

Did you have a tiller or a spot lock type minn Kota that you swapped out?  I’m thinking the tiller sits back further.

Ulterra is what came off. So yes to spot lock style troller.  The Rhodan comes complete with their own quick release installed and it will drop right on the MK quick release puck. There is maybe a 1/8" gap between the MK puck and Rhodan base and Rhodan puck is slightly taller but the stainless rod holes even line up you using MK puck and Rhodan base. You can run it this way but you would just have to use the MK rods which are smaller in diameter than the Rhodan or drill out the MK puck by perhaps a 1/16.  The combo of smaller rods and slight gap gives you a bit of slop... if you will... in the mount using the Rhodan base and MK mount so I didn't want to run it long that way but if you drilled out the rod holes it would be fine. On mine the puck is mounted to the Maverick by me drilling and tapping the screws into the glassed in OEM plate years ago when so it was as simple as unscrewing the MK puck and reattaching the Rhodan but the ability to mount to the MK puck told me it would be direct bolt on and gave me the chance to dry fit to make sure of course. Feel free to give me a call if you are seriously considering and have more questions. Left info in your mailbox.