Flats Advice

Fatherof4

Hello All.  I need some advice.  I have been fishing saltwater for over 30 years.  Owned numerous boats.  Last year, I bought my first brand new boat.  It is an offshore style.  I am looking for an inshore boat, and always wanted a Flats boat.  I know ZERO about them.  I, of course, know the Hewes/Maverick name, and the quality associated with them.  I love inshore fishing as well.  I am looking for an older/used flats boat.  I would guess minimum of 18'.  Thinking 21' would be great.  Most of the time, would be 2 people fishing.  My wife and myself.  Occasionally, 3 people.  I would like to be in the 10-12k neighborhood. 

Please feel free to offer any and all advice, thoughts, what to look for, what to stay away from, etc.  I am in Central AL, but, can travel to pretty much anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, Fatherof4 said:

I will primarily fish the FL Panhandle (Port St Joe/Apalachicola) as well as Mobile area.  Shallow draft not a major concern, just 12" or more is fine.  What is the diff in the MA vs the HPX series?

The MA and the redfishers are more general flats boats.  Theg are designed to do many things well.  They are bigger (wider beam), heavier, more stable, and the MA is going to keep you very dry and comfortable when making choppy crossings of larger bodies of water.   

The HPX is a technical poling skiff and does what it does exceptionally well.   It will run skinny, pole easily, and chase skinny water fish.   It will be tippier, and depending on which model you get, may sacrifice ride confort a bit more than the gemeral flats boats might.   

Based on where you are fishing, either would be good boats, but I would lean towards the larger MA/RF models if you fish three often and based on your budget.  I dont know that you need to go more than 18' though.

Thanks for the advice, and from what little I have been reading, it seems like the MA or RF will be best for my needs.  If you all know of anything that might fit my needs, I am a cash buyer.  Please feel free to forward.  My cell is 334 391 2880.  Thanks and will keep looking. 

Take a look at the Hewes Light tackle 20ft.  It can handle heavy chop and easily have 3 people on board.  You won't want to pole this baby very much for sure.  I have owned one for 18yrs and use it on the  CT Long Island sound fishing for stripers around all sorts of knarly rock structure.  Use a tolling motor a lot and it handles quite well.  With motor up it draws about 12in.

They can be had for around your price with an older  motor of the 150hp.  It is a solid hull  much like the MA.  Worth a look anyway.

• Like 1

Fatherof4, keep checking this Forum for Boats for Sale.  They pop up all the time.  You just need to be ready to pull the trigger when you find one that checks out and suits your needs.  Might also keep an eye on the MicroSkiff Forum and The Hull Truth.  

10 hours ago, Fatherof4 said:

Thanks all. I have found a MA on this site. Have been in touch with the owner. Agreed to a price. Sight unseen. Hopefully it will turn out alright. 

Get a marine survey on the hull and trailer and a Yamaha certified mechanic to run compression and a PC hookup.

Also, send the VIN HUL number to Maverick and ask if any major repairs where completed.

Good luck with buy.

dc

• Like 1