Performance bulletin.... 25 HPS

FINCHASER

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 1:19 PM, Tall Tails said:

I agree with the MPH numbers, the MPG are higher than I have seen on my 2500. I typically cruise at 4000 RPMs, MPG runs 2.8 to 3.1. Pretty much any load. For example, we ran offshore yesterday. 153 Miles round trip. Burned 52.5 gals. 2.92 MPG overall. 

Great information thanks. I'm trying to determine the range for some trip planning while I'm sitting here in TN studying charts. I think I'll use 3 mpg. What do you all think?

3mpg is pretty close if you are just cruising. I have not heard anything from MBC but if you can enlarge the fuel tank do it. It’s pretty small for a 25’ boat in my opinion. We have long runs to get to deep water and that extra fuel would be really nice to have aboard.

Tall Tails did not have much left in the tank on that trip.

55 minutes ago, bsh102 said:

3mpg is pretty close if you are just cruising. I have not heard anything from MBC but if you can enlarge the fuel tank do it. It’s pretty small for a 25’ boat in my opinion. We have long runs to get to deep water and that extra fuel would be really nice to have aboard.

I am seriously considering purchasing the 25 but I keep having doubts because the fuel tank is so small. While I agree it’s sufficient for most trips it’s nice not to have to fill up so often since I use the boat several times a week. I keep checking out the 25 Contender bay and it has a 90 gallon tank. I am just partial to the Pathfinder and the layout suits us better. Wish the fuel tank was bigger! 

I get about 2.6-3.2 depending on seas, speed, load, etc. 2.8 is probably a safe number if planning a long range trip unless it's flat calm, then maybe 3. But I like to cruise at 38-40 mph. That's with a Verado 350 and half tower. One of my few complaints is the small fuel tank compared to other 25' bay boats.

18 hours ago, bsh102 said:

Tall Tails took extra fuel so he wouldn't have to paddle. I would have made it without but too close for comfort. Actually looking into an 18 gal "portable" tank now that will just fit between the fish box and the cooler in front of the console. Pondering the best way to run the fuel line to the separator. I can drop it down a front rod holder and run it back or leave it on deck and pop the back seat up until the portable runs dry. Thoughts?

I'm thinking of this 25 gallon unit:

https://www.amazon.com/ATL-Petro-Flex-Pillow-Style-Marine-Fuel/dp/B00OTYYIPG

I want to find out if it needs to be bolted to the deck or if it can simply lay on the deck when filled. I would either use it direct connected to the existing fuel tank or get a manual transfer pump. I like the bladder since you can easily stow it on the boat for trips you will not need it. We used bladders in the infancy of the San Diego (Point Loma) based long range fishing when there were valid concerns about Mexican fuel quality and availability and the bladders worked just fine. We typically lashed them to our stern and carried several hundred gallons. I want to lay a bladder between the fish box and cooler/seat like you are thinking too. If I have to, I'll haul some jugs of gas - been there done that before too.

Every boat includes trade offs and overall, I am very happy with the features of my 2500. Increased fuel capacity is something I believe I can work with especially since every trip will not challenge the factory 67 gallon capacity. I don't care if I need to refuel each day but on nice sea state days I want to have increased range if that is where my voyage takes me.

16 hours ago, finbully said:

I'm thinking of this 25 gallon unit:

https://www.amazon.com/ATL-Petro-Flex-Pillow-Style-Marine-Fuel/dp/B00OTYYIPG

I want to find out if it needs to be bolted to the deck or if it can simply lay on the deck when filled. I would either use it direct connected to the existing fuel tank or get a manual transfer pump. I like the bladder since you can easily stow it on the boat for trips you will not need it. We used bladders in the infancy of the San Diego (Point Loma) based long range fishing when there were valid concerns about Mexican fuel quality and availability and the bladders worked just fine. We typically lashed them to our stern and carried several hundred gallons. I want to lay a bladder between the fish box and cooler/seat like you are thinking too. If I have to, I'll haul some jugs of gas - been there done that before too.

Every boat includes trade offs and overall, I am very happy with the features of my 2500. Increased fuel capacity is something I believe I can work with especially since every trip will not challenge the factory 67 gallon capacity. I don't care if I need to refuel each day but on nice sea state days I want to have increased range if that is where my voyage takes me.

Where on deck would you put it? Those dimensions make finding a place on the 2500 deck difficult. Unless you put it on the forward casting deck. Not sure I'd do that.