Dealer should be ashamed of himself

fin-addict

I guess dealers may assume that the buyers know how to operate or they wouldn't be buying.  Or maybe that the owners would take a boat safety course and learn the ins/outs of boating.  Never really ever recall a car dealer or even an equipment dealer going over how to operate with me.  They only answer and cover things that I might ask.  Makes sense though.  Dealer should always ask if the buyer needs any information on operating vehicle.  Thank goodness there are folks on here out on the water for these situations.  Good deed, indeed!

• Like 1

Coworker of mine just got a used boat and he had a similar experience. He couldn’t figure out why the boat wouldn’t go faster than about 20mph. I explained about engine trim. He had no idea that was what the switch on the side of the throttle was. He knew about the tilt switch on the side of the engine for transporting, but nothing about how to trim for ride. 

While I agree the dealer should ask if the new owner knows the operation and offer to show them, but on the flip side if you buy a new boat and do not know how to operate it, you should ask to be shown. So did the dealer offer and the offer was refused? Did the buyer ask and not get the attention they needed? Or did both parties fail to address proper operation? Two sides to every story, not sure we know what really transpired at the dealership.

Pretty easy to envision the dealer asking if they needed any instruction and the buyer saying they were good, not wanting to admit they did not know. Kind of like not using the instructions when assembling an item, it is a male/ego thing.

Regardless, kudos for helping them out. Interesting that it was the females, that were not even operating the boat, that asked for help in operating it.

In then ten years i was a yacht broker, never did allow  my client take a boat after closing until they knew everything about it including docking if new to boating. More so if never ran a twin screw. Showed how to turn and dock broadside or stern too without ever touching steering wheel, throttles only. Even would give docking lessons on my own time after hours. Many times asked to deliver a twin screw to their home or marina. Enjoyed helping out and teaching. My favorite thing with a twin screw is backing down into a slip.. my son at age 12 used to do it with our 38. Made me very proud of him, Always !!! 🤩

• Like 1

When I bought my pathfinder in 05, I told the dealership I was completely unfamiliar with a boat larger than a gheenue. They didn’t offer any kind of assistance whatsoever. Good guys, I still drive an hour and a half to take it for service, but offered me nothing it terms of instruction. 

2 hours ago, DWoodham said:

When I bought my pathfinder in 05, I told the dealership I was completely unfamiliar with a boat larger than a gheenue. They didn’t offer any kind of assistance whatsoever. Good guys, I still drive an hour and a half to take it for service, but offered me nothing it terms of instruction. 

Just plain wrong no matter how you slice it, jmo. Would not use them for service at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice of you to do that and I tend to agree that the dealer should go over all features of the boat and do an in water test when available. If they don’t offer, the buyer should ask but I don’t think they should have to. Every new car purchase since I can remember came with the salesperson sitting in the car going over various features and lately setting up the Bluetooth devices. If I were a dealer, I would absolutely want my customers to understand every aspect of the boat so they can fully enjoy it and be safe doing it. Pretty simple and should be part of the sale