AC for camping

THE OUTLAW

So been on a project at work to build a portable ac unit for a customers airplane .

He says it works awsome .

Although , we wont be camping until later in the year .

Really hot last week ! 

UGGGGGGGGGGG

Going to make a couple soon .

Great idea !

🇺🇸☠️

A75D4056-5B2A-486D-AAA5-F2B218254F89.jpeg

048709CF-51B6-4DFD-8B82-6C9F15582026.jpeg

On 6/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, THE OUTLAW said:

So been on a project at work to build a portable ac unit for a customers airplane .

He says it works awsome .

Although , we wont be camping until later in the year .

Really hot last week ! 

UGGGGGGGGGGG

Going to make a couple soon .

Great idea !

🇺🇸☠️

A75D4056-5B2A-486D-AAA5-F2B218254F89.jpeg

048709CF-51B6-4DFD-8B82-6C9F15582026.jpeg

what is the return air load....also, can you help me understand why would you be blowing the cool air out into the intake?

dc

Great idea. Reminds me of something we had to do at the fire dept. several years ago. Our a/c took a dump, so we filled everything we could find with ice and put several floor fans behind the ice. It worked so well that night we had to pull out our blankets.

In the cooler is two frozen two liter bottles of water and a bag of ice .

The blower draws air into the cooler , through the condenser .

On the right side of the cooler is a little water .

The bilge pump circulates the icy water through the condenser .

While the blower is drawing in new air , it is being chilled passing thru the condenser and cold cooler.

The blower then blows out the chilled air via the elbow on the top.

It needs only 12v and blows very cold .

I am with Troy .

Yeti n 2k all day .

🇺🇸☠️

Careful, a Yeti representative may be a MBG product owner. He might be making a phone call now! I've known about the fan and ice trick in a cooler for a while, but installing the coil and circulating the cold water through for a Sub-Cooling effect is new.

My brother in law made a heated portable shower for a a gentlemen who collected aquarium fish and stuff. Put a wrap of 5/8" copper in a 5 gallon bucket and took the hose leading to the thermostats on the outboard, redirected through the copper in the five gallon bucket of fresh water and then back to the thermostat housing. This way while running the boat he heated the water and during the winter when he came out of the water he had a hot shower waiting for him.

28 minutes ago, THE OUTLAW said:

In the cooler is two frozen two liter bottles of water and a bag of ice .

The blower draws air into the cooler , through the condenser .

On the right side of the cooler is a little water .

The bilge pump circulates the icy water through the condenser .

While the blower is drawing in new air , it is being chilled passing thru the condenser and cold cooler.

The blower then blows out the chilled air via the elbow on the top.

It needs only 12v and blows very cold .

I am with Troy .

Yeti n 2k all day .

🇺🇸☠️

Sounds like a patent pending idea ???   how long does the ice last?

dc

Interested to see how this  works out. I’ve done the window unit in my tent “window” before and slept as well as I ever have in my life, if  I can do that with 12v I’d be all ears! 

Guess my main concern would be humidity. After our house flooded, our house was still “humid” 6 months later when we moved back in.  Our thermostat reads temp and humidity and I can tell you there is a huge difference in 72* 75ish% humidity and 72* 50ish% humidity that it finally got down to after a few months of running AC hard. Maybe not an issue in a tent or similar? 

20 hours ago, flatsdoctor said:

Or you can get a Lance Camper and stay in the campground !!😊

Or you can get year round digs in Choko on the water with your own boat slip & always be 5 mins from great fishing spots while having all the amenities you’re used to at home!! 😉

The a/c is a great idea though. Most of my backcountry camping & mothership excursion days are behind me but this would be a necessity if I was still doing that stuff!

13 minutes ago, conocean said:

Or you can get year round digs in Choko on the water with your own boat slip & always be 5 mins from great fishing spots while having all the amenities you’re used to at home!! 😉

We will all agree with you, whole heartily! You just haven't posted you're address yet!:D

I honestly think my iPad must report everything I look at the iCloud gods....  since looking at this post I had something similar pop-up on my FB and on instagram an add for a similar mechanism that you put on your Yeti cup to create a personal portable AC for a hot day in the golf cart or anywhere you carry the cup. Big brother must be watching...

C3566971-9A1A-4CF4-9BB3-E6859666AF71.png

Archived