Carrying extra fuel on my 2500

Tall Tails

As others have noted, 68 gallons just doesn't always cut it. Especially here in SWFL. I've made several trips carrying extra 5 gallon cans but am wanting something better. Looking at a Moeller 15 or 18 gallon tank to put up front between the fish box and the cooler that is in front of the console. There's just enough space to put one there. The issue, I think, will be how to run the fuel line to the separator that is under the starboard rear seat. I can either leave it on the deck and have the seat open to drop the fuel line down or run it down a forward rod holder and fish it back to the fuel water sep. Having not done this before I assume that I will need to install a shut off valve to the main tank and to the external tank so that I can draw from one or the other but not both at the same time. Help from the forum on this is appreciated. **Sure do wish MBG would put a larger tank in these boats.**

kinda blows my mind that the 25 only has 7 more gallons of fuel than my 08' 22. Even more confusing is that the 24 trs has 73 gal and the 26 has a 78 gal tank.

I did some comparison to the market and found the following:

Barker 26 - 90gal    optional 120 gal

Sportsman 24/26 - 71/94 gal

Jupiter 25- 90 gal

Contender 25 - 90 gal

Triton 24/26 - 96 gal (both)

YF 26 Hybrid - 118 gal

Seems like they could offer a second tank in the first step (2 compartments) in the bow. Love the layout of the PF 25.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brune90 said:

kinda blows my mind that the 25 only has 7 more gallons of fuel than my 08' 22. Even more confusing is that the 24 trs has 73 gal and the 26 has a 78 gal tank.

I did some comparison to the market and found the following:

Barker 26 - 90gal    optional 120 gal

Sportsman 24/26 - 71/94 gal

Jupiter 25- 90 gal

Contender 25 - 90 gal

Triton 24/26 - 96 gal (both)

YF 26 Hybrid - 118 gal

Seems like they could offer a second tank in the first step (2 compartments) in the bow. Love the layout of the PF 25.

Could be a draft and advertised weight issue. The boat is marketed as a near-skinny water rig. Just a thought. I love the deck layout too and that is why I bought a 2500 rather than a competitor. Each boat has trade offs and as I said in another thread http://mbgforum.com/topic/9473-performance-bulletin-25-hps/?tab=comments#comment-77227

I believe in my case anyway, I can overcome the fuel capacity piece.

1 hour ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Fold it up out of the way when done. Scroll down on the link for sizes. They use to be more prevalent before corn juice, that was because the tank was made for "real" gasoline and not alcohol and they were failing. 

https://www.turtlepac.com/products/petrol-gasoline-bladder-marine-tanks/

I considered a bladder tank. The turtle pac looks well built. The price certainly reflects that :) . The dimensions of the 21 gal won't fit anywhere on the main deck of the 2500 without removing the cooler up front. If I'm going far enough to need extra gas, I need food and ice too. Thanks for the replies so far!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently ordered a new pathfinder 2500.  Fuel was one of the only things I thought was lacking on the boat.  With that being said the boat has arrived and I was doing some research etc and the pathfinder website now says 78 gallons.  does anyone know if they put a larger tank in?  Once I take delivery of the boat ill run it low on gas and give an update.