23 DV

Drummer

2 hours ago, Drummer said:

Have any of you fellow forumers actually owned or at least fished out of a 23 DV? I am looking at one and would appreciate some real world pros and cons. Not what you have read or heard - I have already done all that! Thanks. 

One of the Mod's Mark owned two if I'm not mistaken...

dc

If the price is reasonable, my advice is to buy it. I've owned a 23DV for 4 years now. I believe that it is one of the finest 23 foot boats ever made. The ONLY gripe I have with the boat is that the fish wells are not insulated. If you you plan on long days in the hot sun, you'll need an ice chest or an insulated bag to keep your catch fresh. The boat has tons of storage space, wide beam, level deck to the bow, rides beautifully in heavy seas, and tows and launches easily. I could not be any happier with this boat. I'm amazed that they stopped production of it.

5 hours ago, Drummer said:

Have any of you fellow forumers actually owned or at least fished out of a 23 DV? I am looking at one and would appreciate some real world pros and cons. Not what you have read or heard - I have already done all that! Thanks. 

Yes! Marc the other Mod has one! He can help you with anything you need to know! Send a PM to Moderator and we will both get it and he will get back with you! I will also let him know!

MOD2 Bubba

Funny, I just got back from Keys and made me think what a great Keys boat that would be! 

I have a buddy with one with twin F150s. Awesome boat and I’ve looked at a few myself, although personally would want a single on it.

Problem for me is they built them with wood for a while. The bottom of boat is balsa core.  At some point they switched over to composite core but I never could find a definitive answer on when that happened, even asking on here and calling factory. So while I’m not a huge fan of a survey on small boat, I’d definitely get one just for moisture if nothing else if I was looking.

Maybe since our moderator is on here and the other is a 23DV fan, they can ask a factory guy to pipe in for a final answer on when they stopped using wood in these?  

Pretty sure they went to composite coring in the 2005 models.  I have a Msg in to the factory. I will update then.  These 4-piece hulls are super stiff and very light.

I have owned two of them.. The DV model was discontinued when the Cobia line came to the Ft. Pierce factory.  I have the last one they built. 2011

I gave Capt. Dave my cell phone to go into specifics. 

There are many DVs in the Keys, and they are at home from offshore to The Park.  Scuba tanks fit in the fishboxes and the two deck lockers.  We flyfish off the bow for Mahi.

Nothing like it made since.  Only point of note is the low bow. In snotty inlets, you have to be careful to keep the bow up so you don't take the crests over the bow.

Marc

The only thing I really don't like about mine (fishing wise) is tackle storage.  Don't get me wrong, there is tons of storage but you have to get a little creative on where to keep stuff to access while you are fishing, or add holders.

Watch the wiring, how the HUGE baitwell is attached (they can drop) and the trim tab welds to the hinge (mine finally just popped two welds). 

Aside from that, they are tanks.  My 03 was a charter boat for most of its life and it's in shockingly good condition considering the amount of abuse it's had.

Archived