Amplifier Wiring

Magnum

6 hours ago, Magnum said:

Installing an amp on my boat.  Should I hood the amplifier wires to the battery or to the main power switch?

Directly to the battery with a breaker/fuse per the instructions that came with the amp (hot side and usually within 12” of the battery terminal). Wire the remote turn on to the remote lead on the head unit or to an accessory switch on the dash. If done properly, you will have a means to turn the amp off via switch or head unit and it will turn off when you cut main power. 

6 hours ago, Magnum said:

Installing an amp on my boat.  Should I hood the amplifier wires to the battery or to the main power switch?

Directly to the battery with a breaker/fuse per the instructions that came with the amp (hot side and usually within 12” of the battery terminal). Wire the remote turn on to the remote lead on the head unit or to an accessory switch on the dash. If done properly, you will have a means to turn the amp off via switch or head unit and it will turn off when you cut main power. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this topic, I spoke to a local installer when buying a fuse for the amp.  He installs amps and speaker in lots of boats and said always attach to the master power switch.  I did that and have used it for a couple weeks now without problems.

My installer wired my amp directly to the head unit and it goes off and on with the head unit like someone stated above.  Both ways will probably work but I'm not sure which is better.  It seems if it is wired to the main power switch and the stereo is not on the amp will be on anyway?

I would be surprised if the head unit by itself has the amps to run the amp. Look close at the amp and there should be a large pos wire and a smaller wire going to the head unit. The larger wire probably goes to the battery or the main connection for the fuse box. If not I would look closely at the manual.

The smaller wire is the off on switch to the  amplifier 

I’ve been installing stereo systems in all kids of stuff for over 30 years and ALWAYS use a fuse. It’s more to protect you (me) from a fire than to protect the amp. On my current boat, I simply used a Blue Seas breaker like most people use for a trolling motor, but rated for less amperage. You do you. As long as you’re okay with how it’s set up, that’s all that matters. 

Let me know if you need pics of the wiring detail.