Yall be careful. . .

whichwaysup

Got some shocking news yesterday.  Buddy of mine who I used to fish with was murdered Sunday in Belize.  wrong place wrong time.  No way he could have seen it coming.    It is tough to think about a guy you fished with many times laying face down in foreign waters riddled with bullet holes and leaving 3 kids and a wife behind.    It happened, and, in hindsight, there were some alerts about crime/gang activity increasing.  I would have ignored it too, like he did.  After all, he was staying at a resort, in a safe area.  His guide, however, got mixed up with the wrong characters.   

Anyway, read it over, and if you are willing, say a quick prayer for his soul and for his poor family.   I would appreciate that, but at least, keep it in mind if you are headed to that area.

https://www.sanpedrosun.com/crime-and-violence/2019/06/24/tour-guide-mario-graniel-doctor-gary-swank-shot-killed-sea/

• Sad 2

I remember this type of things happened many yrs ago both in Bermuda and St Croix, guess what their economies  hit the bricks big time.  After a number of really bad years for tourism the govt realized it had to put the hammer down and clean up there act.  It's not happening on those islands now and things have gotten better for everyone.  Dominican Republic is about to see how bad it can be.  The only thing people understand are real consequences economically.

• Like 1

OMG That is terrible News.. I can't imagine!! 

I was booking a trip there for next year.. And Ambergris Cay is one place I was going to hit.. 

My friend was robbed at gunpoint in St Marten. Going out for an ice cream.. 75 YO too.. I wish I was with him!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KrakenDown said:

Condolences for your buddy. So sad, this seems to be happening more and more. While travel has its intrigue, there are also more than enough beautiful places to visit and fish right here in USA and Canada, IMO.

Sometimes I think we use a telescope when we should use a microscope.   I see kids fish a spot all day long and they catch the same number of fish as I do running 20 miles in my boat covering more water.    Same thing applies to fishing travels, I would rather spend a week exploring my backyard than going to a foreign country where I will only be miserable when I experience world class fishing and then have to go back to something far less at home.    

Thats just me, and I would probably feel differently if I were retired and able to fish all the time.   

• Like 1