2500 Build

pbspecial

I am thinking about replacing my current 2014 2300HPS and building a 2500 Hybrid.  Any 2500 owners out there that have any advice on anything that you built in yours or didn't that you wish you had done?

What about hard T Top vs Weblon style?  Is the extra weight of the hard top make that much in performance with speed, rough conditions, etc?  My current rig does not have a T Top so I don't have much experience with running with a T Top

How about electronics - did you build them in at the factory or do that after the fact?

What about the power assist steering?  Is this worth the $1,200?

Woudl love to get some feedback before I pull the trigger on a new rig   Thanks!

The 2500 is an incredible boat!  Lots of deck space for walking forward of console and behind the leaning post. I’m on my 2nd one and the power assist steering is great! My first 2500 did not have it and having it now makes a huge difference in maneuvering the boat. I choose the Weblon T Top for being lighter and less maintenance. 

7009014B-B15F-41DE-AA15-3568CD3CD8F1.jpeg

I just got one (used 2018) and I agree the Weblon top is the way to go. Mine also has the “standard” leaning post with cooler underneath. The bench is plenty comfortable and having a 80qt cooler underneath is awesome. I installed a cooler slide as well which was a game changer. I don’t have power steering but I would probably get it if ordering new. That 300 takes some muscle at speed. The wiring is there so it’s something I may install at a later date.

I wouldn’t do powder coating, I know it looks cool but mine is already coming off in places. Powder Coating has always, and will always peel in saltwater environments. Others have had luck with it but I’ve never seen an older boat with intact powder coating, again I buy boats used so it’s just something I have to live with but I would never order it new. The fish box macerator and second Livewell is also a must in my opinion. I have a Simrad Total Scan transducer installed on the molded in motor bracket I guess you'd call it on the transom so on plane it like 8” out of the water not sure why the original owner did it ( the joys of buying used) I haven’t moved it but I think you need a thru-hull to get a reading on plane regardless due to the step hull. Maybe someone else with one mounted on the bottom of the transom will chime in, I haven’t had a chance to move mine yet.

Pathfinder installs the same wiring harness for every boat so if you want to add accessories later on, the wiring, switches, and circuit breakers are already there and clearly labeled. I installed a second Power Pole on mine and it couldn’t have been easier. 

I wouldn’t spend the money on an Ameratrail trailer. I’ve had two and currently have one on the 2500 and they’re nothing special. Not for $7K anyway. A similar continental is much less money, just as good, and easier to get parts for. With the money saved you could install SS brakes and still have money left over. If you must spend $7K get a Rolls, at least then you won’t have to ever replace the axles. I put aluminum wheels in the same category as powder coating, looks cool for awhile... but it gets ugly in a hurry when they start to corrode. 

Thanks, all great info!

I agree on the powder coat, it always becomes an issue down the road and there is no good way to fix it once it starts chipping.  I'm leaning toward the weblon top for the weight savings, and the trailer info is good as well, something I will look into.

I have owned 3 Pathfinders (2200,2600 and this 2500) and this if by far my favorite. I have always been a Simrad fan so I had them installed by my dealer. The power assist is well worth the additional expense. I went with a full tower so I have the canvas top and not the hardtop. I had the hardtop on my 2600 and loved it and would do it again if I didn't have the full tower.

IMG_5535.JPG

I have a 2400 with hardtop and love it. Although there must be a weight difference, I don’t know how you would ever notice the difference when running the boat.  Meanwhile the hardtop provides lots of other storage, lighting, and sound/speaker options, plus easy mounting for VHF antennas, a radar dome, etc.  It just depends on what is most important to you.  

Hard T Top here too. Like others have said, for storage, radar and unnoticeable weight penalty.

I sent the helm screen (Simrad NNS EVO3 12") and bow motor (Rhodan 36 v) to MBG - they installed. I had MBG install these since they know better where to mount the 2 transducers I wanted and they know better how to mount the bow motor than I.

Once I bought the boat and brought it home, I installed radar (Simrad 4G) and a Standard Horizon VHF & antenna, NEMA 2000 network, a Genius NOCO single bank battery charger (I ordered the boat with the 4 bank, but I wanted to make sure all 5 batteries are capable of being charged when not running the boat), and another multifunction Simrad NSS EVO3 9".

I provided Simrad electronics because I use Florida Marine Tracks and Garmin is not compatible with it.

I ordered the power assist steering on my dealer's recommendation and I like it, so I'm glad I have it. When spending what I did on the boat, I figured another thousand was not going to break me.

I would seriously consider 2 Power Poles (10')  if you add any. Having just one does not stop you from spinning in circles due to wind and currents but 2 will.

I added the aft livewell and the advanced bubbler system.

Removable front cooler is on mine.

Spring line cleats are a must to me.

Added the fish box pump out with macerator.

Ordered rod rack for leaning post (I opted for the standard seat with tackle center - I really like this).

Edison wheel with power knob is another must have for me.

The 300 Yamaha is plenty of engine IMO.

These are pretty much what I considered the "must haves".

I added the underwater lights too.

My back bothers me at times while standing, so I added the bow bass seat mount. I'll get a leaning type seat for that.

Good luck! I am very happy with how I have my boat set-up, but I'll still tinker with it. I am going to add a coiled hose holder (Birdsall Marine Design) for my raw water washdown so I can leave the hose out without it being a trip hazard. I'm also getting a taller anchor light since I've added the radar on top of a 5" mount as you can see below.

T Top.jpg

If you plan to make long runs the power-assist steering would be nice. Wish I had chosen that option. 

The LeBrock helm seat rocks. 

Bubbler in Livewell is a good idea.

My boat is topless so I cannot help you there. 

Upgrade the removable front cooler to the 65 qt. It fits well and gives a lot more room. 

Ditto on the dual power poles and learn how to bleed the pressure off if one fails in the down position!