Cooler on Bow Using SeaSucker Mounts

silverking

When I first got my Pathfinder one of the first things I noticed was that with a full livewell, a couple of large fishing friends on either side of the helm and the cooler under the leaning post, it made for a very heavy stern.  This then made it hard to keep the bow down at low speeds when in any type of heavy chop or swells.  This lead me to look into moving the cooler up front.  First I tried it up against the front compartment on the lower deck.  This kind of worked but it blocked my front hatch and also blocked the cast net locker so not ideal.  I then saw a few members on the forum post pictures with their coolers on the bow.  This seemed like a good solution.  Unfortunately, they had all mounted them by using deck hardware drilled into the cap or hatches.  I was not willing to drill holes in my deck so I needed another solution.    

I then came across the SeaSucker mounts and decided to give them a try.  I ordered two 4.5 inch mounts and paired them with stainless eyelets and used them to anchor down my cooler just above my large forward bow hatch.  I have been experimenting with this setup for a few months now and am happy to report it works great.  It doesn't move even in the heaviest of chop or swells.  I have been in some pretty nasty stuff and the cooler stays firmly planted on the deck and does not move. 

It also works great as a front fishing platform while using the trolling motor and fishing the edge of the flats or shallow shorelines.  When I don't need the cooler I don't have any hardware left behind to stub my toe or affect the lines of the boat.  I am also not locked into a specific size or specification cooler.  Sometimes I bring a smaller 45 quart cooler and sometimes a larger 65 quart cooler and just move the SeaSucker mounting points in our out depending on where the ideal placement is.  The photos below are with the 65 quart cooler. 

All I do is wet the SeaSucker and then affix it to the top of the deck.  Even though it is non-skid it still sticks without any movement or issue.  It has an orange indicator on the push button to inform you when it has started to lose some suction.  A quick glance from the helm and you can know if additional pumps are needed.  When I first started using this system I had an issue with it loosing suction over time.  This seemed to be because I was mounting it dry.  Once I started using some moisture I have not had any issues since and they stay fully suctioned until I am ready to remove them.

Hopefully this post helps those persons looking to accomplish the same goal or who were curious about the SeaSucker products.     

20190701_125135.thumb.jpg.cea597f886be7d91f5dd269e0dd94607.jpg20190701_125145.thumb.jpg.2b7d56766f5640040904c86a577c22bc.jpg20190701_125155.thumb.jpg.0bcb72ccdfbdd2659e27619042d933c8.jpg20190701_125242.thumb.jpg.00b1fbca876571ebdccf29c4ecfea1ad.jpg  

• Like 2

I’ll warm you. Be careful about cans and ice up front. I did the same thing ( but used the yeti hardware) and when I got to my first spot 4 beers and 2 Coke’s had busted open. I use it for extra dry storage now.  A 4 blade powertech prop will push that stern right up. That helped much more than moving a cooler up front, and it wasn’t even close... good luck

I have a 65 Yeti mounted on bow....use it for ice, drinks and food usually....it makes a great casting platform when standing and sight-fishing for  Tripletail on beaches or at markers. Plus, a person can sit on it, operate trolling motor and fish from up there also. I added a rod holder on the side also.

D7C8DB82-B3C1-4452-9E67-8D62793A4599.jpeg

5 hours ago, Purebred said:

These cost $48 each or is there a better way to buy them?

Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere to get them cheaper.  They are about the same price whether direct from SeaSucker or Amazon.  It took me a while to finally decide to spend the money but I couldn't find any other way to accomplish my goals without drilling holes.  They have been worth the investment so far and can be used for other applications as extra tie down points for other accessories or purposes.   

4 hours ago, DWoodham said:

I’ll warm you. Be careful about cans and ice up front. I did the same thing ( but used the yeti hardware) and when I got to my first spot 4 beers and 2 Coke’s had busted open. I use it for extra dry storage now.  A 4 blade powertech prop will push that stern right up. That helped much more than moving a cooler up front, and it wasn’t even close... good luck

I usually use the cooler on the bow for fish, chum, etc...  It is easier to get to then with it under the leaning post.  My boat has the built in cooler in front of the console and I usually use that for my drinks/food.

I had an ofx4 powertech prop when I started this project but I think the pitch was too high (over-propped) minimizing the stern lift at slower speeds.  I needed to be at a faster speed than it would ride comfortably in a heavy chop for it to have enough lifting affect to counter the weight.  I have since moved down 2 pitches and have noticed it lifts the stern much better than the prior prop even at slower speeds making the boat ride better into the chop/swells even with weight in the back.     

1 hour ago, silverking said:

Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere to get them cheaper.  They are about the same price whether direct from SeaSucker or Amazon.  It took me a while to finally decide to spend the money but I couldn't find any other way to accomplish my goals without drilling holes.  They have been worth the investment so far and can be used for other applications as extra tie down points for other accessories or purposes.   

That suction cup is a great idea.... I drilled out and tapped two stainless carriage bolts and placed in front deck and made two stainless one inch wide “ straps” that are bent over cooler side and then fasten down to the carriage bolts, one on each side of cooler. 

Your idea would have saved a lot of time....

On 7/1/2019 at 4:46 PM, silverking said:

I have been experimenting with this setup for a few months now and am happy to report it works great.  It doesn't move even in the heaviest of chop or swells.  I have been in some pretty nasty stuff and the cooler stays firmly planted on the deck and does not move. 

I would still proceed with extreme caution if you are in any nasty stuff and having to run hard...swells etc are probably not the issue, nasty 2 foot chop is where you can run into trouble....I am sure you have done your diligence, just keep in mind in the event you have a long run into a chop that requires hard running.....that cooler will be a hurling bomb into the console at 30 mph....

Personally, I like the idea of using Kennedy tie downs or a through bolt removable attachment.

Nice post and thanks for sharing....

DC

7 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

hat suction cup is a great idea.... I drilled out and tapped two stainless carriage bolts and placed in front deck and made two stainless one inch wide “ straps” that are bent over cooler side and then fasten down to the carriage bolts, one on each side of cooler. 

I personally like this idea as well...

dc

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I personally like this idea as well...

dc

One thing I can say.....out in front of Cumberland Island and Jekyll it can get nasty quick.....and that cooler with the thru bolts in front deck is very stable....I have 1/4” stainless bolts going 1 1/2” into the tapped carriage bolts and it’s very secure. Very large stainless washers serving as backing plates underneath and topside of stainless carriage bolts.