MA 21 biggest jacklplate setback

OldestCityLocal

On 7/5/2019 at 7:00 PM, OldestCityLocal said:

What’s the biggest setback anyone has put on a master angler 21. Currently have a 225ho that gets aerated water to pickups. Plus I’m a little bow heavy. Thinking a 10-12 inch setback would fix both my problems. Currently have a regular bobs jack plate 

Call Scott at Porta Bracket... His products are expensive but his geometry is the most accurate, and he's a great wealth of knowledge...

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:00 PM, OldestCityLocal said:

What’s the biggest setback anyone has put on a master angler 21. Currently have a 225ho that gets aerated water to pickups. Plus I’m a little bow heavy. Thinking a 10-12 inch setback would fix both my problems. Currently have a regular bobs jack plate 

I have an 8" setback bobs on order.  Should get it by the end of the month.  I will report back some before and after numbers once I have it installed.  I have a 1998 21 W/ a 2.6L 175 Yamaha.

I have been running an Atlas 6" set back about 5 years now, I won't do without it. I love to be able to push the motor up to idle across flats and do it quietly and not churn up the bottom. On plane I can run about 2.5 to 3" up but only with very slight turning before blowing out....but I am running a four blade Trophy Plus which helps. My motor is a Merc OptiMax XS, I have zero issues with cooling, I regularly run with it up an inch or two with no steering problems, but again that has a lot to do with the four blade.

I am in the middle of a fuel tank replacement right now and discovered stringers broken in three places, the glass seems brittle, so I might be concerned about the longer setback putting too much stress on the transom. My transom had already had work done to it when I purchased the boat. From the inside no work, but the out side looks like there may have been some separation at the joint of the cap to the hull.

We may need to start a new thread for the tank replacement!

I have a 10” and I think that the boat runs fine. I actually have not ridden or captain’d another 21 with a different setup so there’s nothing for me to compare it to. I Rarely raise the motor more than 2”/ 3” on plane and I have no blowout with a 4 blade Titan on turns, however,  blowout was bad with a 3 blade Yamaha SHO PROP setup. BTW:  I have a 250 HPDI VMAX on the boat. I bought the boat with this setup but if  I were to do it over, I’d stick to the original 6” to a max 8”. I would think that the guys that designed this platform decided that a 6” was sufficient for cost vs. results. Setting the engine that far back exponentially raises the stress on the transom considerably, from what I have read. When the engine is raised I do get close to 65 mph which may be due to the 10” setback. I am not sure that would contribute to the additional speed.  Finally,  you think that you’ll get “cleaner” water with a 10” / 12” setback as well as relieve your “bow heavy” condition. I do not  fully understand your logic there.