25' Pathfinder - jack plate height Trim Tab q

david Terry

Hey All:

Can anyone tell me what height you are finding optimal for running?

I have a Yamaha 300, when I initially got boat had it up to about 60mph, now I can barely see 50.

Also when I start to trim up, boat veers to port even though Im trimming both tabs at same time, and not by a lot, any thoughts?

thanks

I don't have a 25, but on my boat, the jack plate likes to be up right where you can see the allen head screw on the ram...I'd guess "up" about 1.5" or so. That's also where I see my best top end. This can vary depending on where everything is located on your boat, but the jack plate doesn't need to be a mile high to get good speed.

I would think the steering at speed could be propeller induced, especially if both tabs are full up. What prop are you running?

Hey Guys, thanks, so the prop is a Powertch OFS3. So that is a 15.25 Diam, and i think the letters R20P indicates a pitch of 20 degrees.

I always get going with trim tabs down, and the jackplate about 1.5" up from the full down position. I just double checked the trim tab operation and they seem to be working just fine.

I did notice that the anode is not straight, see picture.

Could that be causing an issue as well?

thanks again

IMG_1850.jpeg

IMG_1851.jpeg

That's correct in the R20P, the "R" depicts right hand rotation. I'd fiddle with the anode. Someone above suggested it may be that. I have an SHO, with a fixed skeg, no anode. When I was running a PowerTech OFX4, it liked to go port, also. Make sure you're not taking on water or anything...Someone here recently had a bilge pump issue (not naming names :D ) and his boat was off on performance...I like that hull color and white engine. More pics?

BradM

Here you go. I literally just picked up boat from paint shop. I had chosen a plain white engine, no decals figuring i could see how I liked it and add decals later.

I decided to put some sea foam highlights, the paint guy called it a Mohikan :), and the inside of the vents as well. I wasnt planning on adding decals but the painter thought aluminum decals would look really good and pick up on the pathfinder decal.

I really like the way it came out.

cheers

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1854.jpeg

IMG_1855.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pbspecial said:

Skip, what prop are you running on your 2500 and do you have any performance numbers?  My 2500/F300 is about 4 weeks out and need to settle on prop soon.  I'm out of Stuart, spend 70% of the time fishing offshore.....

I have a Yamaha 15x20 SWSII, runs pretty much square.  I pay no attention to top end but have seen 59.  

Skip

Quick update. Got out and did some runs playing with the jack plate height and trim.

Got about 5700RPM and 56MPH, so I think that's about right. Was going into the wind a little as well. As Skip said, seemed to be 2" was the optimal height.

Still need to work out trim tabs, as boat seemed to list to port

thanks everyone