Questions about loading 26 on trailer.

swm1day

Got a 26 HPS Pathfinder and curious about other owner's experiences with loading back on trailer. Do you guys drive the boat all the way up to the bow stop when loading? Or within 5 inches or so?

I can't make it there unless pushing trailer back so far that the stern is floating-and that causes centering problems for me. 

In fact, several times I have backed in farther just to see how it would go and when I pulled the boat out it was an inch or two off in the back and not sitting on the bunks correctly (the stern hull strake was not centered between the bunks). Just wondering what your experiences are.

The best I can do is get about 30 inches from the bow stop, then get out and have my driver back in another foot so I can winch it up tight. So a 2 step process.

This is the only way I can ensure that the stern gets centered correctly. At least with my typical ramp, sticking the trailer back in the water more just means the stern is floating for me.

Interested in your experiences. Thanks.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:16 PM, swm1day said:

Do you guys drive the boat all the way up to the bow stop when loading? Or within 5 inches or so?

I have a TRS 2200, not sure about the differences (well, there's the extra 4 feet).

Question:  Is it an Ameritrail trailer?  Also, is the winch a two-speed?

1643745534_LowResMissLaurieIV-6.thumb.jpg.2731f5624214061fab0e0f486fdf5a5d.jpg

This two-speed winch lets me stop 5 inches to a foot from the roller (power loading sometimes causes a hole at the bottom of the ramp) and the low gear makes winching the boat up to the roller easy.  Here is another shot showing the winch...

1175373609_LowResMissLaurieIV-3.thumb.jpg.9b1c18207c9b875108818000f0643512.jpg

I've had a previous boat, a Key West, on a non-Ameritrail trailer and the boat almost never centered on the trailer.  Turns out the moveable bunks were just in the wrong places.

• Like 1

No trailer is perfect from factory/shop set up. I bought watermans old trailer and made it fit my boat and it fits like a glove! These were not the same boats by far. Remember lower in the back and higher in the front for dealing with shallow ramps. Seems like you may be basing you're findings on the same ramp. If you figure out how to load a boat perfectly every time at every ramp, from Pensacola to Key West, please let us know!:D  

Thanks all. The pics show the issue. As you can see, 1 inch of movement is a deal breaker because of the lip, so the bunks being tight to side is not the solution (though mine are tight actually). I've loaded the boat 25 times and not really a big deal to use a 2 step process (hit trailer, motor up as far as possible, then have my driver back the tailer down another foot, then winch). Just wondering if others have the same issue on a modest ramp.

Love the boat. This is not a complaint at all, just a guy looking for experiences of others in case I'm missing something.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14cc.jpg.5984a3a520a4ce08d7d6eaae70e96736.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14d0.jpg.89d86fe11120e2e150fa54164164a2aa.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_14ce.jpg.8c28d5980eb903b47152a0940e56322d.jpg

I just remembered that Pathfinder trailers typically come with forward centering bunks that are carpeted. These will definitely stop you or slow you down quite a bit when trying to load it, especially if they are not wet. It looks like that is what you have. I have always used the centering PVC "V's" and the boat always glides right up to the stop. 

This has been my experience.  Not sure if this will work for your setup, but I had a similar issue with my 23 HPS.  The stepped hull seems to add challenge to centering the boat on the trailer because the back is usually still floating above the rear trailer bunks (even when the trailer is setup for the stepped hull).  More often than not when the boat came up the ramp after being loaded on the trailer the back of the boat was tilted to one side or the other on the trailer(especially a problem when I was solo). 

I solved this for me by making a loop of rope (2 separate loops) for port/starboard that fits tight when looped over the trailer guide post and the port/starboard cleats.  Once the trailer winched tight I either jump back on the boat or have whoever is still on the boat put the loops on which "locks" the boat centered on the trailer when pulling back up the ramp.  So far every time the boat is centered perfectly and the stern is fully supported by the back bunks.

10 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Why can't you adjust your PVC guide-ons to center the stern?

you certainly can... make em nice and snug IF possible. Some setups the guide-ons just wont tuck in far enough without modification.

Less trailer in the water the better, helps to center it.

26 minutes ago, captpn said:

Why can't you adjust your PVC guide-ons to center the stern?

Thanks for the insight friends.

My guideposts are pretty tight actually, but 1 inch is a difference maker in this case given the design of the bottom (see lip on bottom of pic). The boat is heavy enough to move those posts 1 inch to either side (they already have a natural flex given the way they are bolted down below).

As for power loading, I'm not really in that category. Probably reach 1500 RPM until I shut it down.

I think the 2 step approach is probably what I'm left with. 

I was at a busy ramp in Isle of Palms SC recently and pulled the boat out to realize that the stern was off 2 inches and that makes the hull sit above the horizontal bunk. So, I winched ONE tie down on stern really hard and backed the boat down the ramp again and it pulled it right over. Magic! Saved the day. I was worried that I would have to back the boat off the trailer and approach it again with a host of armchair QBs on my case!

I use the two step approach and never winch the boat for more than a few inches.. It takes a little longer, but on my 2300HPS it centers perfectly..

I thought about the loop method.. Sometimes I use bow and stern line just to float it the trailer, then tie off and pull it. I don't dunk the trailer more than the top of the tires.. 

Easy breezy.. I don't wanna be THAT guy at the ramp!! 

• 4 months later...

Well, I fixed it.

1. I cut two new boards with an angle on the end, and I moved them up on the bracket a little. 

2. I set the guide posts pretty tight to the boat.

3. Coated the bunks with liquid roller spray. 

No more issues and now I can make it all the way to the bow stop.

I really think this trailer was not set up properly on delivery. But I'm good now.

IMG_2517.jpg

IMG_2522.JPG

I know the Ameritrail trailer that came with my 22TE was NOT set right. The left forward bunk started gouging the gelcoat on the hull. I had to plane down the bunk board since the brackets are welded. Apparently they got the angle wrong.

When loading the boat I back down until the step in front of the fender is just barely touching the water. I power up until the bow is about a foot from the bow stop and winch it the rest of the way.

Guide posts are just that, they guide the trailer. Attaching a line will help. One of the few trailers I've seen with a true guide was on a Hells Bay trailer. It had guides down low that fit the boat like a glove. Made of 3 inch welded aluminum and bolted to trailer frame. As the trailer came out of the ramp the stern had no place to center other than tightly between them. I would also think that it would stabilize the boat going down the road. I've searched the  internet but could never find anything similiar other than the cheaply made bunks for John boats.