Batteries

gamecock2009

I'm terrible with electronics and new to boat ownership. I bought a 2004 1900 about 6 months ago with two batteries, one in the center console for GPS, radio etc and a starter battery for the engine in the rear. About every 3 months the center console battery dies, the previous owner put in a charger that I just plug into my house outlet overnight and it's charged again. It's my understanding that this is happening becausey batteries aren't hooked up together so the engine battery can't charge the center console battery. Any insight on how I should fix this? 

If you have a on-board battery charger, just plug it in like bernieNC says. It's important to keep your batteries topped off after every outing.  If you have a battery switch with a 1, 2, and all position, you can configure the batteries so that the battery in the console can start the outboard if the primary starting battery fails.  In my opinion, having a back-up starting battery would be the priority. I can't tell you how to configure the wiring to accomplish this, but I'm sure there are some schematics on-line.  

Are all of your batteries under the console? If so, you can get a charger with however many banks that you need (3 batteries would require a 3 bank charger, etc.). Hook that up so when you plug in at home all your batteries charge. That era Pathfinder is known to have less than desirable wiring aesthetics, coupled with whatever the previous owner may have cobbled up, there's no telling what the drain is. If you're not able to identify the issue, take it to someone who can and have it fixed. You never know what's causing it and the last thing you want/need is an electrical fire. We have a local guy here who is really good and really fast. I took my old 19 to him for a re-wire, and in 6 hours my boat was done....No re-wire needed. He cleaned everything up, removed the unnecessary stuff the previous owner wired in and put a new battery switch in; battery drain eliminated. Like you, my cranking battery would die in a weeks time, even with the switch off. After it was cleaned up and unnecessary stuff removed, the cranking battery would be in good shape a month later, even if I had forgotten to turn the battery switch off (we all do it).

Another thing to look at and what I did on my 19, was install a Blue Seas "Add-A-Battery" kit. It's an automatic charging replay that will maintain two batteries, per se. Google can explain it better and more quickly than I can. I had a little bit of overkill on my 19, which is how I tend to do all things battery. I was stranded once about 27  miles from the ramp, and spent the night on my boat until I could get a tow from the next passer by. I was on the Suwannee River, so other than the inconvenience, my life wasn't really in danger. Anyhow, I had 4 batteries on my 19. Two for the trolling motor, one for ONLY the stereo's amplifier, and then the house/cranking battery. I had the ACR between the house/cranking and the amplifier battery, on a switch that allowed me to pull them together. The amp didn't pull much, but was more for a back up than anything else. Needless to say, I never had an issue with cranking/battery power for the 9 years I owned that boat.

I have said this before on this site.  Get a ion Jump battery starter, they will save your bacon if your battery takes a dump..They are super small and light and will start any outboard. I never leave the dock without mine.$65.00 and it holds a charge for a long,long time.  Mine is a DPpower from Amazon.  It has actually started my SUV diesel V6 when the battery went dead. Nuff said.

• Like 1

Your post says that the two batteries are not tied together. this would mean there is no way to charge the battery other than the on board charger you speak of. so if you use it you must recharge by plugging the boat into power. 

all recommendations above are valid as to have alternate means of charging the battery and using the battery as a backup to your starting battery. As Brad mention the Blue sea add a Battery with ARC switch will allow you to charge the "House" battery while the motor is running. It will also allow you to use the "House" battery as a back up to the starting battery in emergency situation.

The draining over time may be a function of weak battery or possibly a actual  drain on the system.   I am Kinda working a drain issue which I am thinking is the power pole controls. but as long as I kill my battery switch I do not loose voltage  

36 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

The draining over time may be a function of weak battery or possibly a actual  drain on the system.   I am Kinda working a drain issue which I am thinking is the power pole controls. but as long as I kill my battery switch I do not loose voltage  

The PP and a GPS TM will be a slow drain......need to turn switch to off. As will a Stealth AC/DC if not wired w/ a switch. They are minor but add up.