2000 Pathfinder 1806- Fuel Tank Access

Capt_Rob

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum as i just purchased a 2000 1806 Pathfinder. Solid Boat. However, we have just encountered an issue. Our fuel gauge does not work, and a mechanic told us they need to redo the wiring to the fuel tank/sending unit- the problem is, on this model pathfinder, there is no easy access to the sending unit. The mechanic has told us that he needs to cut through the flooring and make the opening/access to the fuel tank bigger. Is this true? Any other suggestions/recommendations before we have someone cut the floor? I'd really like to avoid this if possible. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

On 8/1/2019 at 4:50 PM, Greg G said:

I have a 2000 1806V as well and I replaced the sending unit myself by removing the seat and unscrewing the access port. It's right over the sending unit.

Thanks a lot for the response, Greg. Hmm.. so our deck plate is in front of our seat, and that appears to be the only opening where we can access the sending unit (but the unit is about 3-4 inches out of reach- so our mechanic wants to cut our floor) . I'm far from a boat expert/mechanic. Am i just missing something? 

And if there really is only one “pie plate” style hatch that is 3-4 inches away from your sending unit, the mechanic will have to cut the deck. It’s not a big issue. Have him replace it with a removable, rectangular access hatch big enough to access the sending unit. There are a few threads here about enlarging or swapping out pie-plate hatches with rectangular ones. Here ya go.... tap the arrow to open thread  

On 8/7/2019 at 11:16 AM, HewesYourDaddy said:

And if there really is only one “pie plate” style hatch that is 3-4 inches away from your sending unit, the mechanic will have to cut the deck. It’s not a big issue. Have him replace it with a removable, rectangular access hatch big enough to access the sending unit. There are a few threads here about enlarging or swapping out pie-plate hatches with rectangular ones. Here ya go.... tap the arrow to open thread  

Thanks so much for all of the replies, fellas. So we took the boat to the mechanic and he just made the deck plate opening a little bigger and he was able to fix the sending unit. Not a bad fix at all. Up next are the trim tabs because the boat porpoises pretty bad. They weren't lying when they said boats are money pits :(

16 hours ago, Capt_Rob said:

Thanks so much for all of the replies, fellas. So we took the boat to the mechanic and he just made the deck plate opening a little bigger and he was able to fix the sending unit. Not a bad fix at all. Up next are the trim tabs because the boat porpoises pretty bad. They weren't lying when they said boats are money pits :(

B.O.A.T. -  Break Out Another Thousand (dollars)

On 8/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, Capt_Rob said:

Before I installed trim tabs I would try a Powertech OFX4 propeller.  It might fix your porposing problem.

8 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

Before I installed trim tabs I would try a Powertech OFX4 propeller.  It might fix your porposing problem.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the recommendation. Did you do the same? Also- do you think this is a cheaper option? I just browsed some of those props and they seem to be pretty pricey. 

Edited by Capt_Rob