Front Hatch Repair

Paid Up

I have had the front hatch completely break off at the hinges and had it repaired last year and it was better than new.  My issue now is about a year later the screws to the hinge on the side with shock are loose again and if I can't fix it I am sure they will complete break again.

When I attached the laches last year I found the holes for the screws would not tighten so I used a JB Fiberglass compound to put in the hole to help the screws.  Now the JB weld is starting to deteriorate.  I am thinking of taking the hatch off and using 5200 in the holes along with the screw to hopefully keep them tight.  One of the hatch lid holes is through bolted but the other (wood screw) go into the hatch lid so i doubt you can through bolt them.  I though I saw once where someone used a aluminum plate to back the one through bolted screw.

It seems to me the shock is what is causing the hatch screws to work loose.  

Any suggestions on how to fix this where is does not continue to happen with the screws coming loose?  5200?

Thanks - Todd

I think your spot on with putting the filler in there like you did the first time . Maybe consider taking the hinge off and drilling a hole topside to fill with fiberglass resin  then pre drill a new hole to set your screws into. Drilling a hole small enough it will cover by the hinge should make a pretty solid repair. Then bed the hinge with 5200 as you put it back together. That will let your screws get some of the adhesive on them as well. 

If you decide to only fill with 5200 I would still try to get a dab between the hinge and the lid 

• 3 weeks later...