Replace.those.old.tires

wthree3

On 8/4/2019 at 1:23 PM, wthree3 said:

Was working on the boat today and noticed my spare not looking too good.

It's never touched the road but is a little over 7 years old per the date code.

Good reminder to replace those tires at 5 years regardless of wear. 

IMG_20190804_131000.jpg

Bah, that aint that bad.  Got another 100k miles left in it if you dont mind a little rattling.

It was a Goodyear Marathon which have always had a bad reputation. 

I've been looking at my replacement options and it's beteeen the Goodyear Endurance and the Maxxis M8008.  The Endurance seems to be well liked; I haven't found any negative reviews. They are widely available and rated for higher speeds than the Maxxis. Have been running the Maxxis on  my road wheels for about 4 years with no issues. Both are available in a D load rating but not sure I want to jump up from a C to a D since I don't need the extra capacity.

There's no such thing as overkill on trailer tires.  Replaced mine with Endurance this year after 2 blowouts going to the keys last year.  Now I can tow 85 MPH no problem. 😲

Specs:

• Fits: 14" x 5-1/2", 14" x 6", 14" x 6-1/2", and 14" x 7" rims
  • Tire size: ST215/75R14
    • Section width: 8.5"
    • Overall diameter: 26.69"
  • Capacity:
    • Load range: D
    • Ply rating: 8
    • Maximum load: 2,200 lbs at 65 psi
  • Tread depth: 8/32"
  • Maximum speed: 87 mph (speed rating N)
  • Limited warranty with free tire replacement

Oh yeah!! I knew right away it was a Marathon, I've had two do that and like your one was a spare. Useless tires.

I now have the Airsun steel belted bias ply tires on my trailer, two years in on the front two and no problems, less than one year on the other two and they look perfect. Yeah I'm cheap and did not buy all four at the same time. :)

If your boat stays outdoors definitely get some covers, the sun destroys all things non-metallic. 

I ran Maxxis 8008s for years, until I has a tread separate, which didn’t really bother me, it happens. The problem was the nearest “warranty dealer” was in Clearwater and I live in Homestead. Switched to the Endurance radials just for the convenance of having Goodyear shops just about everywhere.