Fan to circulate air under full boat cover

SCFD rtrd.

My boat is stored on a lift at my condo. I live in Orlando, so sometimes the boat sits for a month or so.  Just had a full cover made, but now I'm worried about mold. I remember someone posting about propping the compartment lids open with tennis balls to circulate air and prevent mold.  Another person posted about using a fan to circulate air. I like that idea, but what type fan is made for continuous use?

I have done what you're talking about for years. I use a regular 3 speed box type (although round now) fan from Walmart...I run it on the lowest speed and don't even think about it. It is on a GFCI outlet, if you need piece of mind. I also use a cut up pool noodle to prop the hatches open rather than tennis balls. They do tend to flatten and smoosh, so I fold them over and put them closer to the hinges.

My wife recently stole my fan for the laundry room, so I bought an inexpensive blower fan from Northern Tool, which works well. Link is HERE

I us a fan just like  BradM and I take the splash well pie plate out and place a fan blowing towards the bilge. I also loosen the pie plate that is located under the center console so fresh air can circulate under the console and fill up the boat cover. I still have small amounts of mold that show up and have to clean out under the center console and wipe it down about once a year but I feel it has slowed it down some with the fresh air circulating constantly.

I also run a EVA DRI dehumidifier under the boat cover but that needs to be emptied every 3-4 days or once it gets full. It is a constant battle for me as my boat is under a carport which is under a huge oak tree. My outside humidity gauge always shows 90-94% humidity readings under my carport.

https://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Edv-1100-Electric-Petite-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0ZDD2/ref=asc_df_B000H0ZDD2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167142742016&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=879457433248548126&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012103&hvtargid=aud-799146894166:pla-305170695489&psc=1

• Like 1

If your using any type of damp rid product make sure it is kept in a open container so when it fills with water it will not get all over, it will stain. Bowls of charcoal also absorbs dampness and musty odors. Dehumidifier is great but use one that has a tube to drain outside the boat so you do not have to keep emptying it. Use to be a product called a goldenrod, plug it in and take dampness out. Have used all of the above for many years on several boats of all sizes. Swim noodles to keep hatches are good but when they start to get old it crumbles all over the place. Plan rubber balls seem to last the longest. Some keep a small wattage electric bulb in the bilge to keep dampness out. If having cover made have vents put in. If already have cover buy vents for covers that look like dorad vents that look like the ones used on sailboats or can make them out of pvc and glued to canvas the cut hole in canvas to size. They work great.

I too run the squirrel cage type blower on a timer.. Last year an extended power outage on the dock caused it to be off for almost 2 months and no ill effects.. IT MUST be 200F under that cover.

The cover itself has 3 chimneys built in, and has a flow thru venting around transom.. 

I've been using a 10" electric Honeywell or Holmes fan to run under my boat covers for years. I let it run continuously on medium speed while plugged into a GFCI outlet. All my hatches stay cracked. The fan usually lasts about 6-8 months before it burns out then I replace it for about $12-15 on Amazon. It helps keep the mold/mildew spots at bay & bilge is bone dry every time I use my boat.   

5 hours ago, lurem said:

I wonder what would happen if we were to put a couple of the heated rods like the ones in gun safes? I do not know how much area they cover but they are maintenance free.

Maybe that is what fin-addict is describing above? goldenrod?

Sounds like a goldenrod, have not seen them in many years.

The small one is only $40. I had a 28’ Carolina Classic and used the larger size in the cabin. Boat was kept in a wet slip. Currently have a Regulator in a lift with the small dryer in the center console. That boat is on a lift. You guys down there don’t have a patent on humidity, we have it also. Humidity here is around 90% every morning at sunrise.