Garmin / RayMarine / Humming Bird

Wanaflatsfish

Will be in the skiff market next year - I"ve been out of the game for so long I've lost a lot of my knowledge.

I've been considering the RayMarine for the google maps overlay which seems sweet...

Hummingbird if I go with the Ipilot...seems like a cool interface.

I know Garmin - tried and true...but, don't know if they do google earth overlays....

Any of you electronic geeks....please comment....

Need to spend some time at West Marine and fiddle and will be spending time at the Miami boatshow in the electronics hall for sure.

dc

You've ruled out Lowrance? Ive tried to force myself to like the user interface on the Garmin because I like some things about them over the others but its just to confusing and doesn't allow complete control over customizing the screens.

The Lowrance UI is the best out there IMO and Ive spent time behind all of them. Without even reading the manual it was super easy to do just about anything you need to do and you can choose what is or is not displayed on the screen, along with a alot of other things like how large they are etc.

Humminbird are good units and used them for years, probably would still be with them if they their touch units were easier to operate, didn't require modules for everything and weren't so $

I have the Xi5 and was going to link it with the HDS thinking it would be very useful... but after seeing what it does I decided not to. The only real advantage to it would be if you were to need to create and run alot of routes, so I really think that is overated.

I have satellite overlay on my unit and don't find it that useful... If I were going to lots of new ports Im sure it might be a little more useful, but I surely wouldn't use the lack of such to rule out a unit.

Garmin & Raymarine & hummingbird seem to have a slight edge in the structure scan department when it comes to image quality but Lowrance just came out with 3D that not only brings that feature but also vastly increases range and definition on the normal down & side imaging that blows all others out of the water.

You've ruled out Lowrance? Ive tried to force myself to like the user interface on the Garmin because I like some things about them over the others but its just to confusing and doesn't allow complete control over customizing the screens.

The Lowrance UI is the best out there IMO and Ive spent time behind all of them. Without even reading the manual it was super easy to do just about anything you need to do and you can choose what is or is not displayed on the screen, along with a alot of other things like how large they are etc.

Humminbird are good units and used them for years, probably would still be with them if they their touch units were easier to operate, didn't require modules for everything and weren't so $

I have the Xi5 and was going to link it with the HDS thinking it would be very useful... but after seeing what it does I decided not to. The only real advantage to it would be if you were to need to create and run alot of routes, so I really think that is overated.

I have satellite overlay on my unit and don't find it that useful... If I were going to lots of new ports Im sure it might be a little more useful, but I surely wouldn't use the lack of such to rule out a unit.

Garmin & Raymarine & hummingbird seem to have a slight edge in the structure scan department when it comes to image quality but Lowrance just came out with 3D that not only brings that feature but also vastly increases range and definition on the normal down & side imaging that blows all others out of the water.

totally forgot about Lowerence...as I've never looked at it much.

But, good point...

I don't need anything special for down view or bottom..I'm mostly interested now with google maps overlay for exploring the backcountry....

I'll check out the lowerance.

dc

I am not trying to derail this thread but I have been thinking of adding another. Mfd of some type to the pathfinder. I am tired of running a split screen on the 740s. Any suggestions. The boat has a Nema2000 network, minn Kota I pilot plus the 740. I was thinking another 740 but I didn't like the satellite imagery lines idea turned me on to. The boat is dedicated to inshore/nearshore fishing.

In todays world I would go with Simrad instead of lowrance The tough choice would be between garmin and humminbird for the second unit.

As for transducer I would go with an inhull and a transom mount ,as the transom mount would incorporate the sidescanand and a shootthru inhull will give good readings underway when placed properly.

Google overlay....sidescan....dual units....

Whatever happened to people's sense of adventure and instinct to explore and find fish without electronics?

WTH would most people do if their GPS shorted out when they're 30 miles in the backcountry?? (don't forget your map and comp***!)

GPS was the beginning of the end for the Glades and many other remote fishing areas worldwide. Sad but true... :(

A map and comp*** won't show me where a brush pile is, and sure as heck won't help navigating the flats during low light. It also won't help when navigating at night in tight channels. A map is always a great back up IMO. But the gps makes things much much easier

I'm obviously a fan of the gadgets. Of course, I haven't been exposed to the times before gps.

A map is always a great back up IMO. But the gps makes things much much easier

There lies the problem. It should be the other way around: map & comp*** first then GPS as a back up! But this is exactly the response I expected from my post. Another reason I'm an advocate of boating & navigation courses required for anyone that wants to run a boat.

What did people do 35+ years ago to navigate? They went slow, used their eyes, common sense, a map & a comp***!!

GPS has truly diminished the sense of learning how to navigate the way people did for hundreds of years which is a real shame because people spend days at sea and some even lose their lives every year due to not knowing what to do on the water when their electronics take a dump. And that's a fact!

The Amish still use wagons that had been used for many years, but are wagons as good as cars?

Absolutely everyone should know a map and comp***, there is no doubt about that. But given the choice of something that is easier, would it not make sense?

I personally haven't heard of someone's gps breaking and getting stuck somewhere. But that also brings up the point of having 2 units on bay boats.

I understand maps are a great tool (tried and true) and everyone should know how to use them, but it isn't easy to hold a map and drive a boat through creek systems.

For example, in louisiana the marsh all looks the same. To get home I NEEDED the gps, but it was so shallow in order to get back I had to stay on plane, meaning trying to read a map and drive in a shallow twisting marsh would have more dangerous than texting drivers these days. Haha!

With the additional boating pressure from the growing economy, I don't need anything else making it more difficult to catch fish!

I'm not sure we'll see eye to eye on this one ;)

I have to chime in here and sorry if I started this.

First, my point is that as I get older I need a bigger screen. I always run split screen on my 740 and it's getting a little to cluttered. So another unit allows me to not run the split screen and have some back up.

Second, if you really want to be scared go to a captains school for your license and listen to the "youngsters" complain why they have to learn how to use a chart, parallel rulers and a pencil when they have a gps. From my perspective there is never enough back up on the water.

Google overlay....sidescan....dual units....

Whatever happened to people's sense of adventure and instinct to explore and find fish without electronics?

WTH would most people do if their GPS shorted out when they're 30 miles in the backcountry?? (don't forget your map and comp***!)

GPS was the beginning of the end for the Glades and many other remote fishing areas worldwide. Sad but true... :(

I guess I am going to everglades navigation H3LL when I die...I will be eaten for eternity by land crabs and no-serums as I burn in the arms el Diablo........I cheat like crazy...

DonH and I bring along printouts of Google Map overlays (in color so we can steal all the guides spots we see when we are running by ;)

Paul,

I'm with ya....I learned hardcore 30 years ago with a paper lowrance and charts (with no fishing spots) back in the day.

Our buddy MikeD and Peter Babb taught me Choko and how to navigate the shallow by spending hours and hours getting stuck on low tides and idling around...

I do like my charts for exploring...but, with new technology, why not use it....

BTW, I always carried my maps and comp*** when I ran the pathy........GPS can go down and cell towers are non existed in the back...I learned this when I used to explore in my Redfisher 10 years ago....running back from Flamingo to Key Largo, my GPS took a dump....a hand held comp*** and a chart got me home....nothing like trying to find your way back in the middle of Florida bay in a thunderstorm....everything looks the same (LOL)

But, you still have to follow the age old rules....

If you don't know, go slow...if it looks brown, go around :)

DC

Conocean, I could not agree with you more. The last two boats I have had are the only ones that have even had a GPS on them and even then I could not tell you the last time it was turned on. Yes they are a great tool but one should not rely on them.

Back to the topic now. With the exception of Garmin don't they all use Navionics thus have the same mapping?

• 1 month later...

I had my action craft for 16 years and only had GPS(Humminbird) on it for the last year of ownership. My Pathfinder I have a Simrad NSS12 Evo2 and love it. When running inside I barely ever look down at it as I know all the cuts where I'm going unless its low light and then I'll use it for ***istance. I mainly use the GPS portion of it for numbers offshore.

Anyway, to answer the question about all units aside from Garmin using Navionics. Yes, they are all compatible but also come with their own factory charts as well(Simrad has Insight as their stock charts). The Navionics platinum+ chip will give you the navionics charts with satellite overlay(the gold does not).

Linesider,

I noticed that more than once you say lowrance customer service is not good and hummingbird blows it away? Is this from personal experience? I like many did a lot of due diligence when it came to outfitting the boat and spent hours in front of many machines learning user interfaces, doing common functions and to me (remember my opinion) the lowrance came out first with Garmin a close second. I didn't think to look at Simrad but also really nice. To me the humminbird was waaaaayyyy slower and functions took way more button presses than the Garmin and lowrance.

With regards to personal customer service experience, the Bluetooth stopped functioning on my display for power pole control (another cool feature). I called them and the next morning I had a brand new display at my doorstep. Although they charged me full price for the replacement my credit card was credited when the defective unit was received. So far so good and keeping fingers crossed.

Archived