Overflowing live wells

Maria De Los Santos

We bought a new 2600 bay boat and the live wells have overflowed since its first use. It has been back to the dealer at least 4 times and the factory 2 times. They say they can't find anything wrong and can't replicate the problem. The only thing they found this last 6th attempt to address this problem is a clogged drain. They have already drilled more holes in the stand pipe and added an second standpipe. I have read other posts were others have had the same problems and the factory is not addressing this. Any others out there with this same issue and was it ever repaired or addressed successfully by the dealer/factory?

Pathfinder_Larry 1.jpg

5 hours ago, Coto said:

Wow....that definitely is a problem. I can only think there is something wrong in the outflow drain, something is stuck in there or a hose is kinked. Have you tried putting a hose directly into the outflow drain to see if it fills up like that? 

The boat has been doing this since it was purchased new. The boat has been serviced by the dealer four times and the factory once and they can't seem to fix it. They have added more holes to the stand pipe and added a second stand pipe without success. I imagine they have adjusted the flows also. The second time it went to the factory they said the drain was clogged but you would think they would have checked the drain the other 4 times it was serviced at the dealer and the one time it went back ti the factory. They sent it back saying they could not find anything wrong with it. We take it out, put bait in the live well and it overflows. Of course, when they test it, they don't test it with fish in the live well. It happens when stopped and running.

4 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Thinking the same thing.  Did someone replace the livewell pump with a higher flow rate??

The boat has been doing this since it was purchased new. The boat has been serviced by the dealer four times and the factory once and they can't seem to fix it. They have added more holes to the stand pipe and added a second stand pipe without success. I imagine they have adjusted the flows also. The second time it went to the factory they said the drain was clogged but you would think they would have checked the drain the other 4 times it was serviced at the dealer and the one time it went back ti the factory. They sent it back saying they could not find anything wrong with it. We take it out, put bait in the live well and it overflows. Of course, when they test it, they don't test it with fish in the live well. It happens when stopped and running.

3 hours ago, hurricane said:

Does it over flow while underway, or just when sitting?

29 minutes ago, hurricane said:

So only when there is bait it in? How much bait, what type of bait, how many dead floating baits, any grass? I have a different boat, but two things that make my well overflow, dead bait and grass.

Only thing mechanical I can think of, would be a kink or a bend upward in the drain tubing.

Hi. Thank you for your feedback. It happens only with bait in it. We clean out all the large pieces of floating grass and any smaller ones we can grab. We pull out any dead bait we see and it still happens.  They have not been able to fix it.

This may be the same problem that was brought up over two years now, haven't heard of an official fix from the MBC yet. Skip replied in the thread below and said they were working on it but I guess they haven’t come up with a viable solution yet. In these instances smaller baits are swimming / getting through the clear plastic plate and then down through the top of the stand pipe and clogging the drain.  There’s some good ideas of a fix in the threads below. I use the simplest method, I cut up an old laundry bag and zip tied it over the top of the standpipe so no little guys get into the drain, I don’t use the clear plate at all but one guy came up with a fix for the plate as well (see link below)

Give the laundry bag, bait net, or any small mesh you can zip tie over the stand pipe a shot and see if it fixes your issues. 

)

I used the screen above for a while but found that grass and smaller baits still found their way over the top of the plexiglass and screen combo. The best answer is to take a piece of PVC pipe bigger around than the standpipe, drill as many holes in it as you can and then slip it over the standpipe. You will have to cut the strainer off the standpipe and add a shower drain cap to the top of the PVC pipe. This works very well. Put enough grass, jellyfish, and small baits in there and it can be clogged. Unclogging is as easy as running your hand from the bottom of the pipe to the top and throwing all that junk over the side. There is definitely a thread on here showing how to do this. It is the only answer to stopping what is happening to you. I know. It happened to me. With the PVC pipe in use you can stop using the plexiglass screen. Its not worth a *** anyway.

Thank you very much for the response and suggestion. I can't believe that we need to do a "garage fix" to get this resolved instead of Maverick Boat Group taking responsibility and re-configuring/modifying their live well design. They flaunted this new live well system which is apparently a poor design.

Their owner's manual on line refers to "The new and improved livewell system on the 2600 HPS keeps bait alive longer than any other system on the market. It has a dual inflow system and a unique drain system that prevents dead zones and quickly expels any harmful chemicals (such as ammonia) from the water.". 

Yes I DiD have this problem, The least amount of grass or slim gets on the top of the stand pipe and the Drain capacity is lessened and the well overflows.  Put Clearview Filters on the stand pipe and or pipes and the problem disappears. Easiest fix ever. Cam is very trusting and easy to work with. His product solves this problem. I ordered extra large with NO stand. The existing cover will keep it in place.

http://clearviewbaitwellfilters.com/

44 minutes ago, jh141 said:

Yes I DiD have this problem, The least amount of grass or slim gets on the top of the stand pipe and the Drain capacity is lessened and the well overflows.  Put Clearview Filters on the stand pipe and or pipes and the problem disappears. Easiest fix ever. Cam is very trusting and easy to work with. His product solves this problem. I ordered extra large with NO stand. The existing cover will keep it in place.

http://clearviewbaitwellfilters.com/

Thank you!!

Anyone have this problem that was not addressed by the dealer or factory?

Simple fix.

21 Master Angler same well set up for the most part.

I took the plastic plate and made a new one with no slots and 1/4 inch holes and more of them. Then the stand pipe behind the plate I took the top off and also added some 1/4 inch holes at the bottom. I have 2 inlets with a 800 and a 1100 pumps on them and can run them both with a loaded well.

No bait gets through the holes ever or over the top because there is no way for them to get to the stand pipe through the plate. What small grass that gets through will end up behind the plate or around the small holes at the bottom of the stand pipe. If the water creeps up the stand pipe is completely open on the top.

If the grass is really bad I can reach in the well and wipe off the holes on the face of the plate. It solved all issues or I wouldn't have thousands of hours on this hull.

wG1Mx5d.jpg

13 minutes ago, jason p said:

Capt. Troy, What do you mean by “If the water creeps up the stand pipe” Doesn’t the water always rise to the top of the stand pipe, unless you have another drain in your well?

I played with holes towards the bottom of the stand pipe and drilled enough to where the water level would just make it to the top of the stand pipe. if grass or scales plug the 1/4 inch holes towards the bottom, the open top of the pipe will handle all the drainage needed. You just have to make sure nothing can get into the top of the pipe large enough to get into the drain hose to plug it. That is accomplished by the plate with no slots and only 1/4 inch holes and no opening at the top.

When I first got the boat the plate had some slots at the bottom and a opening at the top where the small net wrecking pilchards and eel grass would get to the plumbing and plug it up. One little pinfish or a couple of small pilchards would get in the hose and game over and a over flowing well. I am running both pumps in the pic posted and that is a 1100 and 800 rule and the single factory drain of I believe 1 and 1/4 inch handles it fine. One little bit of something in that hose becomes very collective and will cause the well to over flow. One sideways minnow will catch the next one and so on.

If the op's well drains with no bait then something is getting in the plumbing when he is cast netting for what ever reason. I believe it's his plate.

I will try to get some pics later of what I have done.

• Like 1