Overflowing live wells

Maria De Los Santos

14 hours ago, jason p said:

Can you take a pic when you get a chance. You lost me at the shower drain cap. 

I think what is talking about is a homemade version of this, http://clearviewbaitwellfilters.com/ 

I made one the same way, however I left the strainer cap on the standpipe and just used a PVC end cap. Drilled a ton of smaller holes in it and slide it over the standpipe when I had lots of grass in the well.

A simple test is to pull the stand pipe and run the well with nothing in it. My well with both pumps running will not fill more than about 4 inches of water with the drain out. Weight of water as the well fills increases the pressure I believe is 2.31 psi for every foot above the water line.

That will tell you if your drain plumbing below the deck and out of the boat has an issue.

EDIT. Made a boo boo on the psi. it is roughly .5 psi per foot of rise in weight. So if the top water level of your well is 2 feet off the water line you have around 1 psi of pressure on the drain water. Tough to get old!:(

The 2.31 psi is for your pump in feet of head to flow/push water above the water line.

• Like 1

Capt. Troy is correct. You have to use a process of elimination. Remove the standpipe or standpipes and run the pumps. If the water drains, then the problem is with the standpipe. If the water doesn't drain, the problem is with the drain system under the deck.

If I understand correctly, you now have two standpipes in the same live-well, right? But, do the standpipes merge to the same overboard drain? How many pumps supply water to that live-well and what is the gallons per hour? Also, what is the diameter of the standpipes? The standpipes should be 4 times the surface area, compared to the surface area of the inlet. In other words, if the water feeding the live-well is 3/4", the drain has to be 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" to handle the volume of water being supplied.

9 hours ago, Josh B said:

This... I've been doing this the last 5 years... works great. You can remove the factory included plexiglass screen completely.

No thanks. And I know Jay well enough to see he recognized a problem.

A  slight retro to the plexi glass plate and stand pipe will do exactly what is done here..

I hope the team at MHP are watching. They have a great concept that just needs a little refinement.

Skip just can't afford my consulting fees or my BS. It's been dang near 10 years since this design for the well came out. We jousted about it back then and we left it at that.

I just have to remind myself that not everyone uses their live well like I do.

I will bet there are hundreds of boats out there that have never dumped a cast net into a bait well full of grass, jellyfish and net wrecking pilchards.

The thing would never fail Dino and his shrimp and popping cork or he would have drilled a million holes in it and sent it off to the Outlaw for a custom stand pipe.😛

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Josh B said:

This... I've been doing this the last 5 years... works great. You can remove the factory included plexiglass screen completely.

Thank you so much for this post!  I'm going to try this. My question is why Maverick Boat Group has not bothered to modify their live well stand pipe set up with an easy solution like this one?  After getting a $120,000 loan for this new boat, I really hate to think I have to "rig" this myself because they wont bother to fix it with a solution like this and/or modify their system design all together.

• Like 1

I will try and get a pic. Does your plate have any slots towards the bottom of the plate?

That is where the small baits and grass get through. I don't like not having the plate in place. Baits get crowded around the back of the stand pipe and Pin fish are a pita to get out from behind there at the end of the day..

The plate needs to not have any space at the top for stuff to get by it. The old 1st plate I glued some plastic pieces over those slots on the bottom.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:50 PM, Capt. Troy said:

No thanks. And I know Jay well enough to see he recognized a problem.

A  slight retro to the plexi glass plate and stand pipe will do exactly what is done here..

I hope the team at MHP are watching. They have a great concept that just needs a little refinement.

Skip just can't afford my consulting fees or my BS. It's been dang near 10 years since this design for the well came out. We jousted about it back then and we left it at that.

I just have to remind myself that not everyone uses their live well like I do.

I will bet there are hundreds of boats out there that have never dumped a cast net into a bait well full of grass, jellyfish and net wrecking pilchards.

The thing would never fail Dino and his shrimp and popping cork or he would have drilled a million holes in it and sent it off to the Outlaw for a custom stand pipe.😛

This has a very professional look. You wouldn't think it didn't come from the factory that way. Are you serious that they have known about this problem with the clogging stand pipe design for that long and skip has not changed it even though many people in the forum have had great ideas that seem simple enough to put into place?

16 hours ago, RCW said:

Yes the plate in my 2500 has the slots in it and everything fits through them.

Easy enough to find a place to have a new one made or glue some pieces of plastic over them. The slots do not work to prevent bait or grass from getting to the stand pipe. All that plate needs is lots of 1/4 inch round holes and your problem will be solved. If really grassy and lots of small dead baits you some times need to wipe your hand across the face of the plate to remove debris.

Note to Skip. Those slots need to go away.

I fish my charters 95% of the time with cast net caught bait. There is plenty of grass and small bait "net wreckers" where I catch it.

I never have an issue and have 9 years on this bait well system and thousands of hours with baits in the well. The well does a good job as you can tell from my photo. That is a blacked out well with 85 degree water and I seldom ever lose any bait.