Egret is killing it!

whichwaysup

3 hours ago, Moderator said:

Nice poke, WWIU !

Some of you may remember when MBG ceased production on the MA line. The demand was low, so new models were developed to appeal to more people.  Simple business decision.

There are other good boats out there, but at the end of the day, it is your money. 

Got the conversation going, didnt it?  LOL.  

I love my MA.  really hope MBG has the molds still.   If you guys wont use em, will ya sell em to someone who will?

20 hours ago, linesider 159 said:

Recently did a repower on a 2011 egret with a 300 pro xs mercury and that boat wont touch 70 with a load. It's a 63-66 ish mph boat loaded with trolling motor and all that

Linesider,
You are much more experienced than I am with go-fast boats.  I always pay close attention to your posts on speed and performance.  Do you think the Egret 2011 speed video that I found on Youtube is a fake?  I couldn't see anything that would lead me to believe it's a hoax.  That is clearly an Egret 2011 casting deck in the picture.  The guy is running a Kevlar hull weight of 1,100 LBS, Merc 250 ProXS, TorqueMaster gearcase (1.75:1 gear ratio), jack plate, Fury 24 pitch prop @ 6100 rpm.  If you crunch those numbers in the slip calculator, theoretical speed comes out to 79 mph.  With 6% slip, the actual speed is 74 mph, same as the video shows on his GPS.  Yes, it's most likely just him with a light load, but it looks believable to me.

30 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

According to legend, it's a 18 foot skiff with a large motor on the stern that can run WOT in less than 1" of water while simultaneously eating up 10 foot swells  across sandbars.   The hull is bullet proof hydrodgen/kevlar, weighs 1 oz, and typically generates fuel while running instead of using it.  There have been so many people who have circumnavigated the globe in them that everyone stopped counting a long time ago.   Storage compartments can hold average size oil tankers, military aircraft, and other useful fishing equipment and keep everything perfectly dry and salt free.   Poling is reportably easier than any technical skiff out there, and apparently builds the poler's muscle without requiring exertion.   The one major negative of the Egret are consistent, but unvalidated reports of anglers being molested by herds of supermodels who spontaneously flock to them at sandbars when they see these boats show up.  With recommended horsepower, average speed is mach 6 and always a smooth ride  :)

DC

Dino - I fixed it for you ^^^^^^^

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Dino - I fixed it for you ^^^^^^^

I like the supermodel aspect :)

Although, that's sort of a nice fantasy....sort of like the legend of the Egret :)

Seriously, I've been on the 18's, they are a very nicely built boat, backed by a responsible boat builder named Frank....good to see competition in the market, keeps everyone at their best.....MBG has developed a best in class dealer network, while Egret is one factory, one dealer....but, I have heard that the owner will go almost anywhere and pick up one of his skiffs for a repair under warranty, no questions asked....

I've only owned the MGB's....new and used....and don't see the need to venture much farther than Ft  Pierce for my Skiff fix....my 17 MA is most likely my last, unless I win the lottery.

My MA17 is 25 years old this year....and she runs like day one..what more do you need ? :)

dc

18 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I like the supermodel aspect :)

Although, that's sort of a nice fantasy....sort of like the legend of the Egret :)

Seriously, I've been on the 18's, they are a very nicely built boat, backed by a responsible boat builder named Frank....good to see competition in the market, keeps everyone at their best.....MBG has developed a best in class dealer network, while Egret is one factory, one dealer....but, I have heard that the owner will go almost anywhere and pick up one of his skiffs for a repair under warranty, no questions asked....

I've only owned the MGB's....new and used....and don't see the need to venture much farther than Ft  Pierce for my Skiff fix....my 17 MA is most likely my last, unless I win the lottery.

My MA17 is 25 years old this year....and she runs like day one..what more do you need ? :)

dc

Not so much up this way. Just saying. 
Dealers seem to come and go and none have Hewes or Maverick, or seem to know much about them, “but we can order you one”.

Never understood the 21' flatsboat, though I wont lie that the 21 MAs always make me look twice.  It seems like what you gain for the 2 or 3 feet over the 18-and-change models is less than what you lose.  Having said that, If I were a guide, like Troy, it would be well worth it.  But for the average joe, when you go above 18, everything gets more difficult (trailering/storage), more expensive (hp, trailers, equipment), and less versatile.

But maybe a 26' MA will somehow avoid all that (poke, poke).  

3 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Never understood the 21' flatsboat, though I wont lie that the 21 MAs always make me look twice.  It seems like what you gain for the 2 or 3 feet over the 18-and-change models is less than what you lose.  Having said that, If I were a guide, like Troy, it would be well worth it.  But for the average joe, when you go above 18, everything gets more difficult (trailering/storage), more expensive (hp, trailers, equipment), and less versatile.

But maybe a 26' MA will somehow avoid all that (poke, poke).  

LOL!  You get the award for persistence in making it perfectly clear that MBG should dust off the old molds, and startup production of the Master Angler 18 again, and only the MA 18, and with no changes - just as it was, and everything will be right in the world again.  However, MBG has made it pretty clear they have no interest in it, since demand for the Master Angler faded out, at the same time that demand for the technical poling skiff and bay boat grew stronger.  Maybe MBG's stance is a good thing.  If a revived MA is out of the question, maybe they'll just give you the molds, or sell them cheap, just to shut you up and stop the poking.  You'd have to rename your new boat line though, Gus.  MA could stand for Master Agitator  😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, geeviam said:

LOL!  You get the award for persistence in making it perfectly clear that MBG should dust off the old molds, and startup production of the Master Angler 18 again, and only the MA 18, and with no changes - just as it was, and everything will be right in the world again.  However, MBG has made it pretty clear they have no interest in it, since demand for the Master Angler faded out, at the same time that demand for the technical poling skiff and bay boat grew stronger.  Maybe MBG's stance is a good thing.  If a revived MA is out of the question, maybe they'll just give you the molds, or sell them cheap, just to shut you up and stop the poking.  You'd have to rename your new boat line though, Gus.  MA could stand for Master Agitator  😋

Yeah, guilty as charged.   But I would tale those molds if they didnt want em anymore!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Yeah, guilty as charged.   But I would tale those molds if they didnt want em anymore!

So would I Gus.  All kidding aside - it would be great to see the MA 18 (and MA 21) in production again.  Just need a small factory direct boat builder, who doesn't need to sell 500 boats a year to be successful, and wouldn't compete directly with any of MBG's lines of boats, to employ some talented craftsman, and start building custom boats for the select few who know and appreciate the Master Angler.

As one of those folks out there still on the hunt for an 18 MA, I have researched the Egret 189 a bit. Can’t pin it down as to why, but I like the looks of the MA better and the way it seems to sit in the water. Plus, the Egret seems to be prohibitively expensive (at least for my budget). I did run across an Egret 189 walkthrough video recently from about 10 years ago and it certainly looked impressive, especially the storage. Anyone have experience on both that can comment on storage between the 18 MA (old or newer cap) vs. the Egret 189?

12 hours ago, justfish said:

Something other than an uncoated aluminum fuel tank or a design that won't need the floor to be cut out to be replace it. 

I would be interested in hearing which other skiff that is 25+ y/o with a design that you indicate above?  Or that has a coated aluminum fuel tank?

For it's day, the MA17 was at the top of it's game.....I don't have time to research the others...but, it's a good question....when compared to others....HB, Action Craft, Back Country, Dolphin come to mind...I don't know how they were constructed 25 years ago......and how they are holding up now....some examples would be an interesting read.

DC

You forgot Hewes.  I can't speak to the others but I can can to my old 1996 Hewes.  Uncoated aluminum tank as well but wide open easy access to it in front hatch to keep an eye on it and plenty of threads on here about replacing them without cutting the boat.

Plenty of threads on here, FB and other sites about early 2000 2400's tanks needing replaced.  Aluminum tanks have a relatively short service life, so if your gonna put an unprotected one in the belly of a boat, put some thought into when (not if) its gonna need to come out.  That could be easy access like my Hewes or a removable panel to get access to it.  (I think my buddy's action craft had one in front of console)

I don't know when the industry or MBC started using poly tanks but my two Pathfinders (1900 02 and 2200 03) had them. Not sure why they chose aluminum for the 2400's of same era vs poly for the others but its an ugly proposition getting it out, and exactly why I don't have one now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justfish said:

You forgot Hewes.  I can't speak to the others but I can can to my old 1996 Hewes.  Uncoated aluminum tank as well but wide open easy access to it in front hatch to keep an eye on it and plenty of threads on here about replacing them without cutting the boat.

Plenty of threads on here, FB and other sites about early 2000 2400's tanks needing replaced.  Aluminum tanks have a relatively short service life, so if your gonna put an unprotected one in the belly of a boat, put some thought into when (not if) its gonna need to come out.  That could be easy access like my Hewes or a removable panel to get access to it.  (I think my buddy's action craft had one in front of console)

I don't know when the industry or MBC started using poly tanks but my two Pathfinders (1900 02 and 2200 03) had them. Not sure why they chose aluminum for the 2400's of same era vs poly for the others but its an ugly proposition getting it out, and exactly why I don't have one now.

My 2000 MA has a poly tank, but apparently they went back to Aluminum after that.  Not sure why.   I agree that it is a short sighted decision to put something in the heart of a boat that has a clearly limited lifespan . . . and putting it where that lifespan is automatically shortened doesnt make much sense.   From what I understand though, cutting out the floor of the cockpit isnt a nightmare, and as far as major projects go, is on the more affordable side of the equation.  

Anyone know the typical lifespan of poly vs. Aluminum?