Hewes with F300!

triplec

3 minutes ago, linesider 159 said:

300 Yamaha runs same speed as a 250 sho, and this boat is bigger than a redfisher 21 so its not surprising its maxed at 65. I think getting that motor up and switching to a bravo fs may help some though. The Yamaha props do have a lot of lift though

And ordering it with a 200SHO will save you some money (Nizpro tune to 330hp) :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inshore1 said:

With all of the local chatter wanting to bring back the MA, why do the opposite and reintroduce the larger redfisher? (nothing against the redfisher, I love their lines).  Obviously I’m an MA owner...lol

Either way, beautiful boat and I’m sure she’ll scoot once she’s dialed in! 

Inshore, this 21 is kinda like an MA, and the Redfisher/hewes line is more aligned to the general flats boat style that the MA was.   Maybe this is the first step of a redfisher 18 redesign with the classic MA hull and the nice fit amd finish of the current redfisher.   

maybe?  ;)  Someone needs to give Egret a run for their money!

Just gonna like to hate it for now.

When the specs come out I will chime in again. Still can't quite figure the math of 5900 RPM at 65 MPH with the prop shown.

No matter, it's a good looking rig. Really want to see it sitting still ready to fish with the live well full and 3 anglers sitting on the bench seat.

Also would like to see the cockpit drains and where they go for drainage as well as the hatch lids.

If one gets close to me I wanna ride it. You never know it might be like my first test ride on a 21 master angler at Jacks Inter Bay Marina in Tampa.

I bought it that day from the most aggravating boat dealer I have ever known and knew it going in.

I bet that comment will put a smile on some of the old timers as Skip calls me.😉

• Like 1

Dang, the Hewes 21 was on my short list for awhile, along with the MA21 but went with a Pathy 24TE several years ago because of kids.  Now have 4 of them 12 to 4 and they all love to fish, thank the good Lord.  But I always really wanted a Hewes 21, however I do really like the bow livewell.  That is a big deal for me.  I'm still a bow fisherman and I prefer livebait.  If i wanted to fish off the back of the boat I would get a Dorado/Aquasport/Gause style boat that my kids would like for me to have.  I'd love to have a 21 ft true flats boat but if no front livewell I think I'm just going to keep the old Pathy going.  But one day pretty soon when those urchins get a bit older, I will have a flats boat again.  May have one for them and one for me, but its happening. 

10 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

If one gets close to me I wanna ride it. You never know it might be like my first test ride on a 21 master angler at Jacks Inter Bay Marina in Tampa.

I bought it that day from the most aggravating boat dealer I have ever known and knew it going in.

I bet that comment will put a smile on some of the old timers as Skip calls me.😉

Troy, I bought my MA 18 from Jack at Jack's interbay and had my services done with Joe while they were still in business. Both of them took a little getting used to but once you did they were fine. haha

1 hour ago, lurem said:

Troy, I bought my MA 18 from Jack at Jack's interbay and had my services done with Joe while they were still in business. Both of them took a little getting used to but once you did they were fine. haha

Ha Ha is right Dale. Joe was good people. I bought my 21 from them and 2 Grady Whites. A 27 and a 30 Marlin. Jack and I got into it over the last purchase worse than the first two. He was grumpy all the time with me but He never failed to deliver on price and service. He just always came off as he was doing me a favor selling me something.

Now, when are we going to see the spec sheet on this new Hewes. I was thinking maybe a super light rocket ship.

33 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

Now, when are we going to see the spec sheet on this new Hewes. I was thinking maybe a super light rocket ship.

I am in the same boat as you, I am not on facebook, Instagram or any social media. Hopefully it will show up somewhere we can access it for the old timers in the group.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

Just gonna like to hate it for now.

When the specs come out I will chime in again. Still can't quite figure the math of 5900 RPM at 65 MPH with the prop shown.

No matter, it's a good looking rig. Really want to see it sitting still ready to fish with the live well full and 3 anglers sitting on the bench seat.

Also would like to see the cockpit drains and where they go for drainage as well as the hatch lids.

Jack was a cantankerous fellow.

• Like 1

I love my 2008 21 Master Angler. I have been following this "project" on the Hewes social media, and the hull sure looks similar to my 21 MA, from the front.

I am really curious why the trim tabs are not recessed, as they are on the 21 MA. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 3:05 PM, Inshore1 said:

With all of the local chatter wanting to bring back the MA, why do the opposite and reintroduce the larger redfisher?...

$$$, The MBG is a mass production builder, it’s a lot more efficient to build two piece boats and glue gunnels to the cap like the Hewes and Pathfinders than three piece Mavericks.

A 2020 21’ Master Angler would probably be a $100K boat. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MikeH said:

I love my 2008 21 Master Angler. I have been following this "project" on the Hewes social media, and the hull sure looks similar to my 21 MA, from the front.

I am really curious why the trim tabs are not recessed, as they are on the 21 MA. 

Yes, recessed trim tabs make for a cleaner look and keep the transom more snag free.  But, external/surface mounted trim tabs are more effective and create less drag IMO.  External trim tabs are positioned further back and effectively add length to the running surface of the hull.  This also positions the fulcrum and leverage action further back to help the tabs do their job better - more force and control.  My favorite advantage with external tabs is less drag because when you raise the tabs up completely, it's like they are not there.  Recessed tabs have nooks, gaps, and hardware that can cause drag, even when they are retracted.  They are always in contact with the water as an integral part of the running surface of the hull.  Besides all that, the $$$ expense and extra time to assemble recessed tabs on the production line is probably a factor too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Yes, recessed trim tabs make for a cleaner look and keep the transom more snag free.  But, external/surface mounted trim tabs are more effective and create less drag IMO.  External trim tabs are positioned further back and effectively add length to the running surface of the hull.  This also positions the fulcrum and leverage action further back to help the tabs do their job better - more force and control.  My favorite advantage with external tabs is less drag because when you raise the tabs up completely, it's like they are not there.  Recessed tabs have nooks, gaps, and hardware that can cause drag, even when they are retracted.  They are always in contact with the water as an integral part of the running surface of the hull.  Besides all that, the $$$ expense and extra time to assemble recessed tabs on the production line is probably a factor too.

Great post, thank you! In addition the TT manufactures change specs all the time which does not work well with pockets.

Skip

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Spot on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lap it Up said:

Spot on!

1 hour ago, slyshon said:

Great post, thank you! In addition the TT manufactures change specs all the time which does not work well with pockets.

Skip

1 hour ago, Lap it Up said:

Spot on!

Great explanation. I was thinking it was a combination of the cost and less drag, etc. Looking forward to watching the Facebook live reveal at 2:00 PM. 

1 hour ago, MikeH said:

Great explanation. I was thinking it was a combination of the cost and less drag, etc. Looking forward to watching the Facebook live reveal at 2:00 PM. 

... and water slapping in the pockets make a ton of noise when staked out. 

Saw the vid.  Really enjoyed it.  That boat has a lot of what I like for the fishing I do here.   Would look pretty sporty with a spoiler platform.  With remote operated TMs, poling isn't the only option anymore, and it is nice to get up high and see the fish.   

On a serious note, the hull sounds similar to the 21 MA, is it markedly different?   If it has the same attributes, you would do well to tap into that legacy.