Motor comes out of water in reverse

Pabel1993

2014 Yamaha 250 sho, if I put the boat in reverse and give it any kindve throttle the motor will come out of the water ? Any ideas what could cause this I changed the seals on the trim piston and before this it wasn’t doing this.. does it just need to be bled or ???

26 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Does the boat ride good? It sounds like the stop pin may be set to high and when in reverse the motor pulls up, its pointed up, rather than push you when going forward. Move the pin down one hole and try it with the trim all the down and keep playing with until you see an improvement. JM2C.

Where is the stop pin ?

32 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

my first guess is a bad tilit piston. the main one that raises the motor. there is also a bypass vent on the side that releases the hydraulics so you can lift it by hand. see if it is backed out a little.

I’ll check the vent 

1 minute ago, Pabel1993 said:

Yea it trims up and down fine 

If it rises and retracts smooth and quiet then it is losing pressure at the Top of the Tilt cylinder (internally) allowing the tilt ram to pull out when the pressure of being put in reverse is applied. Likely there is a problem with the seal stack at the base of the Tilt Ram. Could be a problem with one of the four Absorber valves also at the base of the Tilt Ram. If you replaced the top seal you would have had to remove those parts. Think of it like as if the nut at the bottom of the tilt ram was not there.

SmileMaker has a good point. Make sure the manual release on the port side of the unit in closed snugly, thou if it was not closed the motor would not trim at all. 

3 minutes ago, jh141 said:

If it rises and retracts smooth and quiet then it is losing pressure at the Top of the Tilt cylinder (internally) allowing the tilt ram to pull out when the pressure of being put in reverse is applied. Likely there is a problem with the seal stack at the base of the Tilt Ram. Could be a problem with one of the four Absorber valves also at the base of the Tilt Ram. If you replaced the top seal you would have had to remove those parts. Think of it like as if the nut at the bottom of the tilt ram was not there.

SmileMaker has a good point. Make sure the manual release on the port side of the unit in closed snugly, thou if it was not closed the motor would not trim at all. 

Yea so I lost the balls on the absorber valve at the bottom and replaced them with ball bearings from ace , which weren’t exactly the same size slightly bigger and I’m wondering if that’s the reason for this.. I also didn’t know the torque on that bottom but so I’m wondering about that now 

2 minutes ago, Pabel1993 said:

Yea so I lost the balls on the absorber valve at the bottom and replaced them with ball bearings from ace , which weren’t exactly the same size slightly bigger and I’m wondering if that’s the reason for this.. I also didn’t know the torque on that bottom but so I’m wondering about that now ..and could you point me in a direction of the deal stack at the base of the tilt ram ?

10 minutes ago, jh141 said:

The Tilt Piston Nut torque is 70 foot Lbs. The size of the balls is critical it looks like. 

Not sure what else you you ask. " deal stack "

Well I imagine there’s my problem cause I’m no where near torqued to 70 and the balls are definitely bigger.. I meant seal stack *** autocorrect 

2 minutes ago, Pabel1993 said:

Well I imagine there’s my problem cause I’m no where near torqued to 70 and the balls are definitely bigger.. I meant seal stack *** autocorrect 

So, I get my seal kits from https://five-star-marine.myshopify.com     They are re builders in Port Richey, Fl.     You could give them a call. Never had to call them but See if they could supply you with the correct size check balls. They have great seal kits. The balls do not come in the kit. I can not find a part number for them and I am not confident they come with the piston. Also, what are the condition of your pins holding the unit to the motor. Five Star makes Stainless steel replacement pins that are great. I use their pins and the factory bushing on the pins 

5 minutes ago, jh141 said:

So, I get my seal kits from https://five-star-marine.myshopify.com     They are re builders in Port Richey, Fl.     You could give them a call. Never had to call them but See if they could supply you with the correct size check balls. They have great seal kits. The balls do not come in the kit. I can not find a part number for them and I am not confident they come with the piston. Also, what are the condition of your pins holding the unit to the motor. Five Star makes Stainless steel replacement pins that are great. I use their pins and the factory bushing on the pins 

Thanks for the help there local for me so that’ll be easy 

over the years i have learned the hard way that when dealing with hydraulic everything must be clean, gaskets and   o rings in perfect condition and do not substitute parts. pressure and small leaks will cause things to fail.

sorry i can't direct you to parts for the ball bearings but Simyamaha.com has always been able to help me.