pontoon boats

flatsdoctor

As I get older and more beat up, with grandchildren and larger family, I'm trying to learn about other choices than an HPX-T, hence the pontoon boat questions

We have a place in Bonita Springs on a creek that leads us to Estero Bay and they are quite popular. 

We also bought a lot in Blue Ridge Georgia and we are building a Log home and have access to the lake. 

Last week we rented a Pontoon boat in the lake and it was fun.

Again this weekend we are renting one in Bonita, Fl to celebrate Father's Day

They are comfortable and can take lots of people

Have you ever owned one?

What was your experience?.

Positives and negatives about them?

Thanks for the input

• Like 1

I think it's a great option for 'fun" fishing...

Trout and other fish that do not require shallow water sight fishing or hand to hand combat in the mangroves.

It definately has it's appeal for a nice BBQ on the deck, big Bimini, and toss a few poppn corks and jigs over potholes etc.

I've seen a few out of Port of the Islands and it seems that for a day of family outing and fishing, it hits the mark for us old guys who have left the days of hard core fishing and want more family time....

There are many options to choose from at reasonable prices.

dc

Pontoons are very fish able and very comfortable. I have a friend that is in a wheel chair. He has had pontoon boats for years. Keeps one in the Keys. They have taken it deep dropping for tile fish, to the humps for mahi and tuna, around the bridges for snapper, tarpon fishing at channel five and we have even taken it from Islamorada to Clive Key for redfish and snook. The problems we have seen are not so much about wood, but about dissimilar metals. You have to keep an eye on bolts holding it together. His was 24 feet and had a 200 Verado. Would run about 35 mph I believe. I should have taken pictures of peoples faces when they came by and saw us busting snook and reds by Clive Key in a pontoon boat. Priceless......

I have a 24' Lowe with a 115 Yamaha.  I keep it in the water at my fish camp on the Kissimmee River.  The best thing about a pontoon is the ability to move along fairly quickly without any bow rise or the boat wanting to pop on plane (since they don't plane).  Slow trolls for sight seeing and booze cruising is much better on a pontoon.  If you plan on saltwater use i recommend bottom painting the toons with a bottom paint specifically designed for aluminum.  I have seen countless pontoons corrode away very quickly if left in the water untreated.  If you want the feel of a pontoon but the speed of a regular V-hull then look into a Tri-Toon.  They have a center planing toon that allows them to get up and go!  

• Like 1

Back in time.. my father was getting older (gads, to think he was younger than I am now).  He sold the family boat and bought a pontoon.  I was aghast.  Well he and 3 buddies ran crab traps on it and most every night a group would gather and they would enjoy adult beverages and a sundown cruise.  I visited and my son, then maybe 2 years old, was able to run all around the boat (inside sides) and had a blast.  

Must be some reasons as boat sales reports showing pontoons the fastest growth segment of new boats today.  There are some guys who fish (trout, reds) near me in a pontoon and their only complaint is the wind pushes them around.    I'm talking normal people pontoon boats, not the twin engine $200K rocket ships you might see around Crystal River.  

22 minutes ago, flatsdoctor said:

Well... let me tell you.

We rented one for the day today (9 to 5)

It took 8 adults and 3 children around w/o problems.

We fished,  swimmed, ate, drank, had a good time.

Stable friendly platform. Difficult to pole 🤪 though

Thanks for everyone's input. It all helps.

where ? Freshwater? Or Salt?

dc

I re

4 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

And? What are your thoughts? I have been looking at the deck boats like Fin so I am curious as to your thoughts. By the way; Happy Fathers Day to all Fathers one this post!

I really enjoyed the comfort. We had a great time

Selling the technical skiff and chartering someone to pole me around, sounds more and more appealing as I get older and rusted!!

Something comfy like  a pontoon is tempting

I have one that I keep in Everglades City, Mav stays in the garage but the Bentley stays at the hardware store lot...  21' with a Yam 90, it cruises around 20  and with 5 people and gear it'll top out at about 23.... pegged!  Prop recommendations?  😂😎  Anyway, we use ours when friends and family come over, its  perfectly suited for 8 and we take the canopy tents and gear and head to the outer  islands and flounder around all day. I was never a toon fan but I am now!  I would go with a 23' or 24' tri-toon because they seem to handle somewhat better but no complaints from me...

Take this for whatever it's worth since I've never owned or even been on a pontoon boat - but, I've seen in other related posts that some really prefer the "tri-toons" over the two-hulled pontoons.  You just might want to get some opinions on that if you are serious about getting a boat of that type.

The older I get, the more important comfort becomes!

Ideally i should just charter or hire someone to "really have fun and relax".

However I'm a glutton for punishment and want to have something of my own to take the grand kids out and show them all the fun  things their moms would kill me for doing!! 😎