Replacing trim piston seals - Yamaha F115 and F150

knotthereelworld

Has anyone replaced their trim piston seals on their outboard? One of the pistons on 2008 F115 is leaking and last night my father said the middle one on his 2008 F150 is and he would like me to fix it if I'm doing mine. 

Any issues, advice, suggestions? I plan on replacing the seals on all three on each motor. Looks like I need to buy the special tool to fit in those pins to get the cap off. I found one on Amazon for $60. Aftermarket seal kits range from $40-70 for all 3 pistons but the Yamaha OEM replacement are $45 for each piston... ouch. 

Thanks in advance, I'll do some photos of the process so others can learn. 

I asked the same question about a month ago...there were several posts with information...i was going to do the same and do it myself, but, i only had one and the tool was more than the labor to have my mechanic to do it...so, i went the mechanic way.

several DiY u tube videos....look back in my posts about 60 days or so ago...

If i can find it, i'll link it at some point.

dc

Super simple... with the right tool. 12 year-old motors I’d suggest you and your Dad both be there. One person to turn the wrench and the other keeping the wrench on the trim cap so it doesn’t slip. 
Keeping a light coating of hydraulic fluid (I use store brand cheap ATF dispensed from a condiment bottle) especially if the boat is kept outdoors will greatly increase seal life on your tilt, trim, and steering cylinder as well. But hey if y’all got 12 years out of them keep doing what you’re doing. 

SIM Yamaha is now putting together trim and tilt seal kits, may be less than $45, not sure.