Keel roller challenge

whichwaysup

Hey all - 

Hoping someone has a good suggestion here.   I'd like to add a keel roller to support the weight of my boat on the trailer.  Currently, it is only supported by the two bunks and the bow roller, and I'm not convinced that this isn't part of the issue that caused my stringer to pop.   I bought a keel roller, but am now realizing that I don't have enough clearance between the bottom of the keel and the rear cross member on my trailer.   I only have 2.25 inches between the keel of the boat and the crossmember.   Unfortunately, on the keel roller I bought the slots for the ubolts stop at about 2 3/8 inches, which means that, with 1/2" thick ubolts, I need another 1/2 inch of clearance (loose math, here folks).   Basically, I'd need the slots to extend upwards towards the roller another 1/2" or so in order to make it work.   I can drill/ream out the slot another 1/2 inch, but that leaves about 1/8" of metal between the slot and the end of the bracket.   

Before I go modifying the ridiculously expensive roller, anyone know of a keel roller that requires less clearance?   The one I have is similar to this, but has the yellow roller.  

https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/p-8082-keel-roller-assembly-10-black-rubber-ce-smith-10404g.aspx

Would it be possible to relocate the holes for the pin that holds the roller to about an inch further down towards the bottom of the bracket, then you’d have room to adjust the whole bracket back upward? Not sure if this move for the pin is possible because the bracket does angle backward and would move the roller closer to the back wall of the bracket. Also, not sure how “removable” and replaceable the roller is either, or how those pin caps on the end function. If this did work though, there would be plenty of metal to support the weight of the boat, I would think. Maybe that would work? The down side is, once you go down the road of modifying it, like you noted, there’d be no returning it. Just a idea though.

861BAF13-9A5B-4BD3-B36B-8A96B9005D8B.jpeg

CRD's suggestion would work; just make sure you cut the original metal back down, at least more that half of what is leftover. If not your boat will be finding it's center line with use of two big gouges on you're hull. After all you been through, I don't think you want that.

Either way, whatever you choose, I have a strange feeling you are going to let us know!:P

• Like 1

Thanks all - CRD, I am thinking about your idea.  I would need to get a new end cap for the roller axle, but that will probably provide the most strength to the equation.   

Muddy Bottom - that occurred to me as well, nothing like the lovely vibration of gelcoat running over metal to make you want to vomit.    Will definitely have to trim those down, then hit the whole thing with some galvanized paint.

4 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Thanks all - CRD, I am thinking about your idea.  I would need to get a new end cap for the roller axle, but that will probably provide the most strength to the equation.   

Muddy Bottom - that occurred to me as well, nothing like the lovely vibration of gelcoat running over metal to make you want to vomit.    Will definitely have to trim those down, then hit the whole thing with some galvanized paint.

Just my .02 but this caps and rods rust mighty quick. I modified one for similar application and replaced the rod with stainless steel bolts maybe 12 inchers. They worked so well I ended up replacing all my rollers stainless rods. I will get a photo for you when out by the boat and see if it helps you. I modified the bracket. Well actually I made my own out of two individual pieces of stock.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

If you want more support, why don't you add a second set of bunks?

Whichwaysup, I agree with SCFD. I do not see a single roller on the keel helping except when you first load at the rear or once you have loaded at the very front.  After all the work and love you have given that hull I would add two bunks. I know not everyone loves Ameritrail trailers but their bunk setups are very supportive. I like to say mine cradles my boat like a mom cradles a baby. Four 6' wide bunks dissipates the load very well. Just my thoughts. I really like those MA's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

If you go this route post up some of your good pics. Thought about similar mod but I have the keel roller and roller ar bow supporting keel. Its hard on the gel though with our sharp entrys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Gus,

Unless you can position the rollers where there is bracing on the inside of the hull (like bulkheads), I strongly suggest installing a second set of bunks like SCFD mentioned.  Much better support over a broad area, instead of all that weight bouncing down the road on a 1" x 1" point on the roller.

So, good news is that I already bought all the hardware to install centering bunks forward of the current ones ( but overlapping midships).   The challenge is that I want to support the stern, where 90% of the weight is.   I hadnt thought about adding additional rear bunks, and that is definitely a possibility.   Think I will try to mod this roller for now, ad the forward centering bunks, then see how it goes.   If the roller mod doesnt hold up, I will go the additional rear bunk route.    I really like the stainless bolt mod on the roller, will probably go that rout as well.

Might be able to attack this this weekend, will let you know how it goes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

I really like the stainless bolt mod on the roller, will probably go that rout as well.

If you do, don't use a 1/2" SS bolt like I did.  It became bent under the weight/stress.  Go with a 5/8" SS bolt (same diameter as the rod).

• Like 1

Got it on.  Not a huge fan of having that much bracket hanging down, but I plan on raising it up about another 1/8 to 1/4 inch to provid more support.  

Also, take a look at the bunks.   See the plastic bunk covering bowing out from the wood on either side of the bracket?  Pretty sure that confirms my suspicion that the hull was being stressed there, which is right where the stringer issue was.  

So, moral of the story, if your trailer is set up with just two bunks made of 2x4s, it may be worth adding some more reinforcement.   

Any trailer gurus want to opine?

20200701_115019.jpg

20200701_115046.jpg

20200701_115051.jpg

20200701_115036.jpg

20200701_115007.jpg

Maybe it is a shadow in that last pick but it looks like the corner of the bunk is resting on the strake, that is a lot of weight on a small area.  If that is the case moving it off the strake would help distribute the weight,  If it can not be move maybe contour the bunk to fit. 

• Like 1

I would definitely have more bunk support under that boat. One set of bunks directly under the stringers, running from transom to about 2/3 the total length of the boat. A second set up front to support the front 1/2 of the boat and to help center the boat on the trailer. Then a third set to support the keel, from transom to about 2/3 the length of the boat.

The last thing you want is to bust up another stringer. You can make the bunks custom fit the hull. After installing new bunks, wet them with a garden hose, then put a bottle jack under the bunk and jack it up, wait about 3 hrs. then wet the bunk again, and apply more pressure with the bottle jack. You can achieve any shape you want to accommodate the hull shape.

Mulligan is correct, you have lots of weight sitting on a small area of the bunk. Got to move that bunk or maybe center the boat on the trailer.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mulligan said:

Maybe it is a shadow in that last pick but it looks like the corner of the bunk is resting on the strake, that is a lot of weight on a small area.  If that is the case moving it off the strake would help distribute the weight,  If it can not be move maybe contour the bunk to fit. 

Not a shadow, I noticed that too.   That darned bunk bracket keeps moving on me - and of course, I only think about it when I'm at the ramp without a wrench to tighten it after re-positioning it.   Bringing one to the ramp tomorrow a.m..    

Thanks all, and SCFD, will definitely do as you recommend with wetting the bunks.  I assume the bottle jack goes under the bunk bracket, but if not, please explain.

Thanks!   Planning on working on the bunks this weekend.   Staples arrived today, got to pick up the 2x4s for the front bunks, then the fun begins.  At least with the rear roller, I've got more support in the meantime.   Taking a trip Friday a few hours north to a magical place I hope to retire near some day.   Hoping weather will cooperate.

7 hours ago, mulligan said:

I was thinking the same thing!!!!!

Well since your under there...change those bunks lol. Just changed mine last year. They were 20+ years old but Boatmaster did them from some cypress most likely and they were starting to give way. Went to local dock lumber supplier (as I couldn't source the cypress big stuff) and picked up couple 3x8's. They have a much diff PT rating too. Had to run them thru the table saw to get the right angles but when I did it fit like OEM so guessing thats how they built them in 96.

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5098.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, my trailer is in serious need of some attention.  Rear cross member rusted pretty badly, the only 4 bunks are all loosing their carpet, one wheel well cover is loose and rattles while driving down the road, I have no keel roller, the front roller where the bow sits has a crack on the edge, the strap is severely faded, the crank is fairly rusty as well, and I have very rusty leaf springs, rather than the preferred torsion axles.  Before you jump on me for lack of maintenance, this is how I inherited the trailer when I purchased my boat.  Link to pictures below.

All that being said, is it worth all the time, attention and money to repair, or should I look at new trailer all together?  If I'm looking for a new trailer, is there one that would be a good choice that has adequate support, torsion axles, keel roller, etc., already installed?  Boat is 2013 RF 18.  *Edit*  I'll add that I have zero experience working on boat trailers.  I am fairly adept with carpentry, but I don't think that really applies too well here.

Wasn't trying to hijack the post, but it was all about trailers so I figured I'd ask.