Power-pole Competition

SeaVuPlay

1 hour ago, linesider 159 said:

I don’t think it’s even possible to be less reliable than the ulterra. (I say this after I just bought a new black ulterra because it’s cool and I want it to match the boat) 🤪

Yes it is . It is called the Talon. Total junk. I made the mistake of putting one on my bay boat. First one died. Mechanic tossed it even though it was still under warranty.  Since I had all the hardware ( mount , etc , I replaced it with another. It died within 3 mths, stranding me as I couldn’t bring it in. Here is a picture of what it looked like inside. Like a cheap downrigger. It would never hold up in marine environment. I have the new one. Never holds in current or any bottom that isn’t squishy soft. Ready to dump this one as well. Only reason I bought it was it went deeper than the Powerpole.  I have had a half dozen Powerpoles in my lifetime, great product and GREAT service. No need to buy anything else. I learned from my mistake. As far as the Ulterra, I have had two of them , both on my bay boat, and they have held up pretty well. I am starting to hear more negatives about Rhodan lately and I am not sure there is a clear favorite. I will probably put a Terrova  80 on my Redfisher at some point because the boat is so small and easy to get to the TM. 

90895E04-68FB-4911-953B-304BC0231DF8.jpeg

Minnkotta is a global company....I'm sure they will be partnering with manufacturers and pressuring them to install the "minkotta system - TM, Raptor, Hummingbird, etc." on vessels.

I don't know PP's reach, but, MK has more products to offer and probabably looked at the opportunity world wide....

USA  - I can't imagine better Customer Service than PP, but, world wide- not sure of their footprint.

That said, I wonder if the PP patent expired...it's WAY TO SIMILIAR to PP for them to just roll over on this design.  I checked the install manual on the site...it's PP exactly...so, something is definately going on.

DC

21 hours ago, bernieNC said:

PP has to have good customer service with as much attention (repair)as a PP needs.

What you been doing to it?

Mine has been on the boat 10 years and other than the normal maintenance of bushings and a few broken spikes it has been flawless.

It gets used at least 25 times per outing.

The spikes show up the next day when I break one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shallowminded6 said:

This is good feed back to have on these type ofproducts. This should most likely be a seperate topic as well. But what trolling motor seems to be the most reliable? Probably my next purchase assuming my tank isnt on the fritz. 

Rohdan

7 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

What you been doing to it?

Mine has been on the boat 10 years and other than the normal maintenance of bushings and a few broken spikes it has been flawless.

It gets used at least 25 times per outing.

The spikes show up the next day when I break one.

Trying to use it, after a few years it became unreliable. They replaced the board it would work then not work. They rebuilt the pump and it would work and then not work. Sent a new motor and pump it would work and then not work. This went on for three years till I lost all faith in it. So I lived on spot lock for a while. Last year I was ready the trash it and PP agreed to replace it with a new one (no charge to me). Good for them but they did know the history. So far so good. We shall see. Will not go down that road again. If this one poops I think I will spend the money on lithium batteries for spot lock, instead of a PP, and get a Stick It. PP’s are great when they work and a pain when they don’t or are intermittent. I ordered this Pathy new 7 years ago fully rigged and have spent more time dealing with the PP than everything else combined including detailing. I do not deal well with intermittent BS.

Mine is eight years old and has never had problems like that. The problems you are describing have to be "1"  in " a bunch"    I have never heard anyone say their PP had work, not work problems. Power Pole has replaced anything that ever went wrong with mine for its life so far for free. That is unheard of in the market today. If they do that and had reliability problems they would have gone bankrupt by now. Sorry to hear your frustrations. I feel your pain but with MotorGuide........and they will NOT stand behind their product. They play the blame game. 

20 hours ago, bernieNC said:

Trying to use it, after a few years it became unreliable. They replaced the board it would work then not work. They rebuilt the pump and it would work and then not work. Sent a new motor and pump it would work and then not work. This went on for three years till I lost all faith in it. So I lived on spot lock for a while. Last year I was ready the trash it and PP agreed to replace it with a new one (no charge to me). Good for them but they did know the history. So far so good. We shall see. Will not go down that road again. If this one poops I think I will spend the money on lithium batteries for spot lock, instead of a PP, and get a Stick It. PP’s are great when they work and a pain when they don’t or are intermittent. I ordered this Pathy new 7 years ago fully rigged and have spent more time dealing with the PP than everything else combined including detailing. I do not deal well with intermittent BS.

Sounds like you got a lemon. The circles I run in most guys have 2 PP and I never hear of this type of stuff. I suppose it can happen.

They sent you a new one at no charge. I think that speaks volumes!

Lots of stuff on boats break. Most stuff costs you lots of money when it does.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

Sounds like you got a lemon. The circles I run in most guys have 2 PP and I never hear of this type of stuff. I suppose it can happen.

They sent you a new one at no charge. I think that speaks volumes!

Lots of stuff on boats break. Most stuff costs you lots of money when it does.

Like I said the problems started after just a couple years. Then came the 4 years of trouble shooting, rebuilding, returning, and swapping out parts, with the unreliability thrown in. Trout season started and I did without that fall/winter. In our discussions it was made clear it was “ going away” one way or another. 

Like I said above “PP has to have good customer service with as much attention (repair)as a PP needs.” Look at how may folks on this board have needed some type of service and multiple times.