Islamorado to flamingoo

11 minutes ago, jason p said:

The safest bet is to stay away from the ENP all together... I mean seriously, the fishing isn’t that good and the bugs are terrible. 

Amen !

Chris Columbo found Merica 🇺🇸 With a piece of string with a rock tied to it and a sexton .

If people truly carwd about running aground , they might want to study in advance and open their eyes .

FMT looks nice , and when my Garmin craps out it may be on short list of toys , but is it needed oh heck no !!

My .02$

OUTLAW OUT ! 🇺🇸☠️

4 hours ago, mulligan said:

Why/how does every navigation thread turn into a sales pitch?

And you don't think this entire forum is not a "sales" pitch for MHP?  To me, nothing wrong with spreading the news on something that is a great product.

MHP changed the face of shallow water boating with the introduction of the Pathfinder....now, there are dozens copying them...but, there is only one Pathfinder....same for HPX etc. 

Great products and recognized by many.....

I personally do not like the  bashing that some have been doing about "others" systems - but, when facts are stated like Garmin normally puts you in the trees when you are running a mangrove ditch, is what it is, the facts..... if it works for you, then great.....if not, change...just like many have done by buying another skiff such as HB, AC, ECC, etc.  all good products, just not great in some people's opinions, or we on this forum, would not have bought our current vessels, or could not afford a HB, etc.

DC

1 hour ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Chris Columbo found Merica 🇺🇸 With a piece of string with a rock tied to it and a sexton .

Yeah, and have you been by the Key West Museum....many would have like FMT when running between the reefs (LOL)......a few had more than broken skeg (LOL) :) :) :)

I'm with Ralph....do you need it....heck no, I ran Choko for 15 years without it....many days without a GPS...is it a nice to have?  Heck yeah !!!!  Did you "need a new SHO"? Errrr maybe NOT....but, sure is nice toy to have on the sled !!!! :)

dc

I didn't mean to start a conflict with my tongue in cheek jab.  With Dino and several others recommending FTM that's enough for  me to want one eventually - but not with my current 5" screen.  The other thing is I wish there was an option for a full Gulf v. full Atlantic version in stead of north or south.  I dont fish the east coast just the Gulf side and Keys.  How about trying that Egrets Landing?  That way I'd have a reason to come down to Summerland so I could pick it up.

Just now, Limitless said:

I didn't mean to start a conflict with my tongue in cheek jab.  With Dino and several others recommending FTM that's enough for  me to want one eventually - but not with my current 5" screen.  The other thing is I wish there was an option for a full Gulf v. full Atlantic version in stead of north or south.  I dont fish the east coast just the Gulf side and Keys.  How about trying that Egrets Landing?  That way I'd have a reason to come down to Summerland so I could pick it up.

That would be a great option for sure but the way it is created it is 1000 times easier said than done.  Eventually it will likely be offered but probably not until 2020 after the next SFL image update.   If it was originally created that way, just as many people would be wishing it was N vs. S. that fish both coasts and particularly in SFL and in the big bend/Jax areas.

Let me say first I have FMT. Had it about six months. Would I have it If I did not already use Lowrance? I say probably not. Is it helpful? Yes, It helps when I need to make a change on the fly just like the rest of the technology I have. I have Sirus Marine, why?? The weather radar is great. Helps me make good decisions on the fly. THEY ARE ALL JUST HELPS. When I started fishing ENP We were very young and brave. We had no electronics, no depth sounder, no radio, nothing. We use to run to marker 48 in Whitewater Bay with a spotlight to get to the Rookery Branch early in the morning. Would I do that Today without all the technology, not a chance. I did the same as some have said here with my son and daughter. I would leave the Lowrance off going out and coming back. They can easily navigate the entire park with no helps. May come in handy one day. Now would I run Chocko without some help. I say no. Could be costly.  Run Sandfly pass once with a friend. Went to Pavilion Key and on the way back passed right by the marker. The tide covered 75 percent of it. Could have used a help that day, but used common sense and made it back with no problems. Point is Helps are Helps. I AGREE sometimes I love to JUST explore, read the water and enjoy the day. Believe it or not, technology numbs the senses. Some say it makes us dumber. But Sometimes I want to get to the fish and and get to it, I then use the helps. My first GPS was a Garmin. Used a whole 4 satellites. Those were the days. I could return to a spot within a football field or so. And who remembers Loran C.

Sorry to go on, I must say my Lowrance HDS Carbon 16 with the lastest and greatest software went goofy last saturday. Could not remember how to do a soft reset. Went the rest on the day without it. We did just fine and caught just as many fish. Got back to cell coverage, googled how to soft reset, back up and running. I guess that says it all. Kinda makes ya long for the good old days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 5:41 PM, jh141 said:

Let me say first I have FMT. Had it about six months. Would I have it If I did not already use Lowrance? I say probably not. Is it helpful? Yes, It helps when I need to make a change on the fly just like the rest of the technology I have. I have Sirus Marine, why?? The weather radar is great. Helps me make good decisions on the fly. THEY ARE ALL JUST HELPS. When I started fishing ENP We were very young and brave. We had no electronics, no depth sounder, no radio, nothing. We use to run to marker 48 in Whitewater Bay with a spotlight to get to the Rookery Branch early in the morning. Would I do that Today without all the technology, not a chance. I did the same as some have said here with my son and daughter. I would leave the Lowrance off going out and coming back. They can easily navigate the entire park with no helps. May come in handy one day. Now would I run Chocko without some help. I say no. Could be costly.  Run Sandfly pass once with a friend. Went to Pavilion Key and on the way back passed right by the marker. The tide covered 75 percent of it. Could have used a help that day, but used common sense and made it back with no problems. Point is Helps are Helps. I AGREE sometimes I love to JUST explore, read the water and enjoy the day. Believe it or not, technology numbs the senses. Some say it makes us dumber. But Sometimes I want to get to the fish and and get to it, I then use the helps. My first GPS was a Garmin. Used a whole 4 satellites. Those were the days. I could return to a spot within a football field or so. And who remembers Loran C.

Sorry to go on, I must say my Lowrance HDS Carbon 16 with the lastest and greatest software went goofy last saturday. Could not remember how to do a soft reset. Went the rest on the day without it. We did just fine and caught just as many fish. Got back to cell coverage, googled how to soft reset, back up and running. I guess that says it all. Kinda makes ya long for the good old days.

Great post...it's all about "helping" and keeping you safe....

LORAN C - how about LORAN C with a paper chart bottom recorder ;)

dc

Paper charts or "just read the water".  According to another forum member, The Insurance industry says GPS units are the biggest culprit for boat groundings in the state. 👌  Couldn't find any of that data online, nor could my agent who is a personal friend. Sounds like insurance lingo for a rate hike or fake news. If that is the case and almost all of us have a GPS, wouldn't we be paying triple the insurance rates that we are now???

Archived