New shoes for the tow vehicle

whichwaysup

After years of spending extra money on Good Year Wranglers I finally made a change to Continental Terrain Contact A/T’s (not H/T’s) for my 2014 F150 4x4. My local mechanic recommended them. Ive put almost 10k miles on this set & I notice zero difference from the Good Years except that I saved $30/tire. 

The Michelin and Continental tires mentioned are what I have used for the last 11 years. Continentals are a little more aggressive, the Michelins get slightly better gas mileage, both are very good tires. Have had terrible experiences with Goodyear, cupping, blown out sidewalls, hard to balance etc. Results may vary.

• Like 1

I ran the MICHELIN LTX M/S  on my Dodge since the truck was new. ( minus the tires that came on it from the factory) They are Awesome. They were lasting 50K plus easy. The truck is a 2005 and has 175K miles. It was time to replace them again back in January. Michelin stopped making them in  LT235/80R17 for my 3500 Dodge. They still make tires that size just not that same style and tread pattern. After days of research I found that exact tread pattern and style made by Kumho. They call it CRUGEN HT51. So far they have been great. 

This tread pattern is very quiet and wears very well. In a Michelin they are worth the money. In the Kumho time will tell.

Good Luck.  Tires Plus is a good comparison resource. 

On 8/15/2020 at 7:16 PM, RacerxV6 said:

Discount Tire is probably the best place to get a set.  You can't beat there prices and their service.....

This is true. They are always running some holiday sale too. 
They have their own brands of tires which are made by the big boys just for them. Check out Pathfinder, it’s what I put on my 1500. Prob close to 20k on em and no issues.  I believe made by Cooper and a fraction of price. 

Guys, I wear Michelins honesty because its a perk working for the company.  We get an allowance every  2 years.  If I was working somewhere else I would most likely be wearing BFG's.  I go way back to the 80's buying BFG's before Michelin bought them in 84, I think.  they use the same compound that BFG did,  Now the new TKO3's are a new Michelin compound and they get great reviews.  I do not think this is what WWU is looking for. Out side of Michelin, Cooper, General are next in line for me.

• Like 1

Thanks all - really helpful.   I'll check discount tire - if I can get no-name "coopers" that might be the ticket.   My truck has become the surf-and-fishing transport vehicle, so I don't put a ton of mileage on her each year, but we do occassionally take long trips to the Pamlico Sound and outer banks, and noise is pretty important.

Really appreciate everyone's opinions - feel free to keep em coming if you have another option.    Dang I do hate blowing 1K on tires though.   

42 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Thanks all - really helpful.   I'll check discount tire - if I can get no-name "coopers" that might be the ticket.   My truck has become the surf-and-fishing transport vehicle, so I don't put a ton of mileage on her each year, but we do occassionally take long trips to the Pamlico Sound and outer banks, and noise is pretty important.

Really appreciate everyone's opinions - feel free to keep em coming if you have another option.    Dang I do hate blowing 1K on tires though.   

Hey Just to let you know I PM'd you.  nothing available in your size.....

3 minutes ago, RacerxV6 said:

Hey Just to let you know I PM'd you.  nothing available in your size.....

Oh man, I'm glad you said something!   I never saw the PM - had a bunch of PMs come in over the weekend, and didn't see yours in the flurry!   I was about to say I didn't get it, but I found it buried under all the others!   Shot you one back.