Redfish on fly

knotthereelworld

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 9:35 PM, knotthereelworld said:

Southern Wake, where are you located? I also use a Redington Grande as my reel for pups the past year. How do you like the Maverick rod? My St. Croix Legend Elite broke they discontinued it so they won't fix it. I bought a Hardy Demon Salt to replace it but am unsure of it so far.

Charleston SC

The grande is a good reel and a great value in my opinion.

I like the maverick, it loads quick, is light, but still has the butt to punch a weighted fly against some wind. It makes a great redfish rod.

Hey Chris...I notice in your pics, you are wading.....vs fishing from the boat...Like that way better?  I guess where I fish, its grass and sand bottom, and I, maybe out of lack of patience, find a section of water I like, or looks "fishy" and set the boat up and drift a long section to cover water....I have been listening to a podcast, and a lot of guys in the Keys wade fish, and prefer it for permit....

Just picking your brain...

Thanks again and let me know when my flies are ready!!  Tom

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2021 at 6:15 PM, SouthernWake said:

Charleston SC

The grande is a good reel and a great value in my opinion.

I like the maverick, it loads quick, is light, but still has the butt to punch a weighted fly against some wind. It makes a great redfish rod.

Nice, I haven't been to Chucktown in 3-4 years but hoping to get down there this year. Grande is a great value but I wish it held more line. My go to reels are Lamsons these days. I'll check out the Maverick!

On 3/16/2021 at 12:22 PM, Fatherof4 said:

Hey Chris...I notice in your pics, you are wading.....vs fishing from the boat...Like that way better?  I guess where I fish, its grass and sand bottom, and I, maybe out of lack of patience, find a section of water I like, or looks "fishy" and set the boat up and drift a long section to cover water....I have been listening to a podcast, and a lot of guys in the Keys wade fish, and prefer it for permit....

Just picking your brain...

Thanks again and let me know when my flies are ready!!  Tom

I rarely wade, I'm either in a kayak or in my RF18. I take photos in the water. It is such a better picture without a white topside there taking away from the fish. Most of those photos are in NC where it is a sand and grass bottom. I too like to set up and do a long drift in the RF. If I am in a kayak I am poling through very specific spots.

I met a guy in the Keys who told me he liked to wade for bones and permit, up to chest deep. I don't know how he sees the fish and I would be nervous about sharks. I suggested a paddleboard or yak to him and he said he never even considered it and would try it.

Here's an article I did for Flymen Fishing Company on kayak fishing for Redfish...

https://flymenfishingcompany.com/blogs/blog/redfish-kayak-fly-fishing

They also did a podcast with me, although there's no great info shared on there besides where I like to fish. 

https://flymenfishingcompany.com/blogs/blog/ep-13-the-flymen-fishing-co-show-w-scotty-davis-redfish-and-more-with-chris-siess

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 11:12 PM, knotthereelworld said:

Here's an article I did for Flymen Fishing Company on kayak fishing for Redfish...

https://flymenfishingcompany.com/blogs/blog/redfish-kayak-fly-fishing

They also did a podcast with me, although there's no great info shared on there besides where I like to fish. 

https://flymenfishingcompany.com/blogs/blog/ep-13-the-flymen-fishing-co-show-w-scotty-davis-redfish-and-more-with-chris-siess

very nice work on the blog....

dc