Hewes 18 red fisher length on trailer

Houlester

1 hour ago, quest4reds said:

Mine doesn't have swing tongue but I measured total length on trailer right at 25', I think.  How wide is your garage door, that might be another limiting factor.

I’ll have to double check the width. It’s an oversized two car garage. I doubt a swing tongue would subtract 3ft unless someone else has anything different. Might be looking at a 16 red fisher. Would be nice to have that 18 though. 

Houlester, 

My garage is 22’6”.  We went through this with our 2013 Hewes RF 18 which made it so easy when ordering our 2018 RF. 

couple key points To fit in most standard size garages

- For height: you’ll need the lowest height poling platform, it’s 34” 

- for overall length: we ordered a Continental trailer model AS1820 because with its swing tongue it offered the shortest overall length and it must be the “skiff” trailer. The “skiff” trailer sets the boat low and between the fenders (The “S” in the model # indicates Skiff) standard Continental trailer the bunks don’t lay flat and will make boat too high to clear standard size garage door

like I said before our garage is 22’6” and with boat moved forward on trailer and right trailer we came in at exactly 22’ with me turning the motor slightly. See pic

good luck. 

pics may look a little funny I always store the boat with hatches open to air out, I like to carry a lot of bait and I wash out every hatch compartment after use

2018 Hewes RF18  - see how low it sits on the bunks between the fenders  (please don't mind the junk on the shelves, lol)
0281D4C4-F2C3-4B2B-BCC3-961D7488D15E.thumb.jpeg.2d90d8e6c413d7829906d721f724228f.jpeg

2013 Hewes RF18

IMG_0422.JPG.a3463c167450be1b721bf7d08e20d787.JPG

we recently went to a 21 Cobia Bay and I really miss the Hewes RF. With the SHO that thing was nimble, quick, rode like it was on rails and ran skinny all day long on very little gas.  Good Luck, Glenn

I would be pushing it in my garage. I've measured 22ft and maybe an inch. That boat fits perfect in your garage. The height on my garage is pretty good at 93 inches. Would you happen to know the width of the boat on the trailer? It would be going into an oversized two car garage. Thanks for all your help! I came across this picture on the Egret website and I'm sure this type of trailer would work know problem. John

7 hours ago, GlennF said:

189_features_2.jpg

2018 18ft redfisher as well with a Swinging tongue . It will not fit through the garage due to the height of the poling platform. You also need to measure the trailer guide widths as well. ( I wish my garage was bigger lol ) I’ll take measurements for you when the rain finally quits.

image.jpg

You're right, at 93" the height should not be a problem for you depending on the trailer and polling platform.

The height of my garage door is only 82" and I fit with 2" to spare with the 34" poling patform sitting on the Continential skiff trailer identified above. As I recall MBG offers two size polling platforms, the 34" which will accomodate a 115HP or the 38.5" polling platform which will accomodate the 150HP or the 115HP with a jackplate. The 34" won't allow for the jackplate. Charlie Johnson from MBG could probably confirm the dementions for you as well. Over the years Charlie and Skip have been a great resource for me and always very willing to help. 

I don't recall the total width. Sorry I can't measure it as we recently sold the Hewes to move up to a 21 Cobia Bay. I don't now how low the Ameratrail sits, I only know our dealer recommended we go with the Continential which worked great at about half the cost.

https://www.advantagetrailercompany.com/-continental-trailers-as1820-skiff-boat-trailer-no3b|lac.html

Sounds like David can give you the width.

Good luck

21 hours ago, DavidG said:

2018 18ft redfisher as well with a Swinging tongue . It will not fit through the garage due to the height of the poling platform. You also need to measure the trailer guide widths as well. ( I wish my garage was bigger lol ) I’ll take measurements for you when the rain finally quits.

image.jpg

You can have the poling platform refit with a folding platform by a good Welder....Call Ralph at AIM Welding, Fort Lauderdale.  He is the outlaw on the forum.

We ended up having the paved driveway extended down the right side of the house next to the garage. After paying 172.00 a month for storage. The pavers are actually saving me money. ( plus I had already had a 30 amp 115 v receptacle located there). It’s kept plugged in and covered when not in use. The only issue I had was making the turn without hitting the house due to the angle. If you have this problem, check out trailer Veneer! It’s only 840. Compared to those 2500-3000.$ models and you can push/pull and turn using only a battery operated drill. I swear these things are great! ( no I don’t work or receive anything from this company) . I plan on having a “ sissy bar “ and rod holders welded on the platform as my balance isn’t what it used to be. Last but not least, my wife or I wouldn’t be able to get to the washer and dryer with the boat inside! Again I swear by these trailer veneers. This one is the 10,000 pound model. It WILL put your boat into and out of tight spaces!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just a FYI, With a Ameritrail folding tongue trailer, your looking at 23 ft x 8 ft ( including trailer guides) this is with the Jack plate. Height of course is dependent on what size poling platform you have. Hope this helps.......David

P.S, These measurements are with the motor down with approximately 1 inch between skeg  and ground. If your garage has the typical step before you enter the house you will need to add some to the length as you won’t be able to lower your motor as far

Houlester, Before you decide on a 16, If you can angle your boat ( counting the width ) into your garage I’d still recommend the 18 which in reality is 18’9”. I like you live by HOA rules , But only if you live in a gated community they can NOT override City ordinance . ( I use to be the HOA President lol) Our City ordinance says the tip of the trailer can not extend past the corner of the front of the house so please use this as guidance. I’m out of Duval county and typically fish around the jetties and occasionally fish the tideline out to about 3 miles looking for kings or cobia along the beach and that extra 2 ft makes a difference. So check your county ordinance on boats and trailers. If you need any other info just yell! I’ve asked many questions from other members on multiple occasions so we pay it forward. As well, get the dealer to let you back into the garage to double check! Most dealers will be glad to do this as we all know the expenses of a great boat! Keep us posted.! It’s a great boat! David

P.S. Lol, I didn’t pick the color of the boat. This was the last 18 Redfish at the dealers 12/18 and got a great deal. Somehow it fit the color of the house. ( blame the wife lol) If your not to far, let me know. You can use my boat to check for fit

I wish “ outlaw” lived closer! We’ve got 1 company here that does T Tops etc..etc... I walked into their shop and asked about a sissy bar and powder coated white and without even looking up said 800.00. I’m glad I didn’t ask about pole holders !....David

P.S. I’ve only been on the platform once since I bought the boat! The only thing I’ll say is talk about “Shrinkage “ when you hit the water in December in Northeast , Fl! That’s when I knew I needed a sissy bar lol. Hell, I had to sit to urinate for a week until I finally warmed up!

I’m sorry to have to use GlennF post but yes, If you go with a 16 ( depending on your fishing spots ) you’ll be saying *** wish I would have gone with the 18. Don’t go by the size of your garage but go with the type of fishing you do. Here in NE Fl, April- May bring the Spanish mackerel, kings and cobia start running the beach. I know my limitations as well as my boats limitations. Running through the jetty inlets during a tide change can be a challenge. BUT you WILL feel better with the extra footage. Like I said earlier, you are more then welcome ( if your in the area) to run mine to see the difference. You will be surprised! I have a friend who worries just crossing the St Johns inlet in his 16ft during the tide change....David

Again, look at the type of fishing you’ll be doing before deciding. I know garage space is important but having a undersized boat that you don’t like is a very expensive decision.....David

I agree the bigger the boat the better but if it takes up the whole garage I start resenting the boat. I used to have a house with a boat taking up the entire garage. The boat didn’t last long. I have a little hells bay whipray in there now and I hardly notice it being there. I’ll have to stake the boat out and see how it fits. I’m sure a trailer could be built like the one egret boats had on their website. I’m not much of a technical poling kinda guy but another option to is the maverick 18 or a Hells bay marquesa. 

Listen to  DavidG,.................he sounds like a very smart man (maybe cause we agree, lol)

It all comes down to personal preference and how/where you're going to use it.  Just consider that the RF16 won't be all that different than your Whipray. (little beamier and better ride)

I don't know where you'll be using your next boat but the Hewes RF18 will handle chop better than the Marquesa. My charter buddy in Islamorada has a Marquesa and if it's blowing and we're running to Flamingo we'd take my RF.  It's heavier, beamier,  more deadrise and more bow flare or as I like to say "Fast & Dry"

I don't know where you live but I've been to MBG factory a couple times and we're on our 4th MBG vessel. In coordinating the build of our 2018 RF with Charlie Johnson at MBG I got to be at the factory the day my hull and deck came together. Just before they laid the deck on I got to  talk to the techs installing my pumps and running hoses. I got to see where how everything was plumbed and got some good tips from the installers regarding maintenance etc..... my buddy paid a lot of $ for his Marquesa and he didn't get to do that.

Test drive them all and go with what makes you happy.  Hey if you screw it up you can always sell it and try again. lol

Best of Luck and tight lines, Glenn

don't forget to post pics 

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my questions. That’s great insight between the marquesa and red fisher as well. For the past 10+ years I’ve been venturing offshore 50+ miles grouper and snapper fishing. That got old, beat me up, and was a lot more of a production. The past few months I’ve been hitting up the flats catching redfish and fishing around docks for sheepshead. I’ve been having more fun doing that for 3 or 4 hours then offshore for 12. Plus it’s been kinda nice having the boat at the house vs storing it. Everything seems easier. I have the tackle stored nicely on the boat, can charge the trolling motor easily, and I’m not carting tackle all around with me.  I bought a 2015 whipray classic which has been awesome fishing for one. I’ve been launching it right from the beach without a problem and having a blast. The only thing I’d really like is a tad more stability while moving around the boat but still be able to keep it in my garage. So I really need to be able to get a boat under 22ft total length with trailer. I would like to continue fishing inshore but also venture off in the summer on the beaches and catch tarpon with another person. I find fishing solo 90% of the time is actually quite relaxing. My wife has me on lockdown with corona going on and I’ve felt like a kid again pulling up to islands, catching fiddler crabs, and wading around. Here are a few pictures of the boat now. Fishing by myself most the time I think a center console would be better. The side console really opens it up on the smaller boat but I find myself sitting in the middle and steering the wheel off to the side. 

3121036F-2E2E-45A3-92A8-24C6D539D308.jpeg

59085163-6560-40AF-A7F7-4A107C0FCA81.jpeg

Houlester, Glad your on! Like you I fish solo 90% as well. The 18 RF is very easy to load and unload. I just hate to think of someone buying a boat just because it fits the garage. Like you, I spent my years of fishing offshore and loved it UNTIL the boat started having issues plus during that time the price of gas went way up! It wasn’t worth the fuel after limits on fish got tight. I sold that boat and to say I was happy would be a understatement! Then I got into kayak fishing which opened up a great hobby! Then disaster happened and I got injured and was unable to use the kayak. Fast forward a few years and I saw this RF. I looked at a 16 then saw the 18 and decision was made. To this day I never regret getting the 18. It fishes great, very stable, plus I can fish the jetties as well as troll the beach out to 3-4 miles out on the calmer days. A 16 will limit where you can fish! Just my opinion. Again If your ever in the area, I’ll be glad to put her in the water for you to show you the difference!.....David

PS. Looking at your current boat, you have more of a V which a RF is more flat. Definitely will be more stable! Heading out tomorrow AM hoping to find some flounder and reds....David

image.jpg

I know I may be stirring the pot here, but here goes.  IMO the new Hewes Redfisher 16 is a totally different boat than last years Redfisher 16 model, and may even be a better all-around choice than the current (older design) Redfisher 18.  My 2017 Redfisher 16 with a 115 SHO, on an Ameratrail swing tongue trailer, had a total length of 19'5".  The new 2021 Redfisher 16 is 1" longer and 1" wider than the previous model.  The new RF 16 has some Maverick Master Angler DNA in its design as well.  The new RF 16 has a 15 degree deadrise and a sharper forward vee entry for a softer ride, a pad on the keel for lift and speed, a larger fuel tank under the cockpit floor - for lower COG and more space in the forward hatch, better self-bailing hatch gutters and cockpit drainage, a smaller transom pocket for better stern buoyancy and lift. Again, just my opinion, but if garage space is a concern, the new Redfisher 16 would be a great choice.

16 hours ago, geeviam said:

I know I may be stirring the pot here, but here goes.  IMO the new Hewes Redfisher 16 is a totally different boat than last years Redfisher 16 model, and may even be a better all-around choice than the current (older design) Redfisher 18.  My 2017 Redfisher 16 with a 115 SHO, on an Ameratrail swing tongue trailer, had a total length of 19'5".  The new 2021 Redfisher 16 is 1" longer and 1" wider than the previous model.  The new RF 16 has some Maverick Master Angler DNA in its design as well.  The new RF 16 has a 15 degree deadrise and a sharper forward vee entry for a softer ride, a pad on the keel for lift and speed, a larger fuel tank under the cockpit floor - for lower COG and more space in the forward hatch, better self-bailing hatch gutters and cockpit drainage, a smaller transom pocket for better stern buoyancy and lift. Again, just my opinion, but if garage space is a concern, or even if it isn't, the new Redfisher 16 would be a great choice.  If you really want an 18 footer that will fit in your garage, the Maverick 18 HPX-V is perfectly matched with a Yamaha 115 SHO and is 6" shorter than the RF 18.

Come-on geeviam Stiring the pot is half the fun, especially when it's someone else's money. lol  I agree that the new RF16 is sweet, especially with that improved bow flair. Having had two RF18's (2013 & 2018) I'm certanly biased. I like that they redesigned the 2021 18 but kept the hull design. That separate anchor locker was overdue. It's more like my 21 Bay now. Making a flipdown backrest from the poling platofrm like Hell's Bay was also a good move. Hope you get lot's of enjoyment from your 16. With that 115 SHO is must fly. That's what we had on our last 18 and it ran ok.

Best whishes, Glenn