Maverick - Hewes comparison

Rustycoke

They have different build styles.  Mavericks are carbon fiber/kevlar hulls, Hewes are fiberglass.  Most Mavericks are probably bgt as technical polling skiffs and are lighter. Hewes are really good boats to fish shallow,but not the best polling boats.  I know I don't pole my 20ft LT and my 15ft Maverick is a dream to pole. Different strokes for different folks. Both are good. Mavericks just cost more to produce ,thus the difference in price.  There are a lot more boats that compete in the Hewes universe than mavericks  Others may have some different take on the differences.

• Like 2

I agree with Shallowminded6. This is going to be good. Maverick owners are a passionate bunch.

While I've never owned a Marick but I have fished several and the newer ones are light, fast and have a narrrow beam supporting the easy poling. To me the older Mavericks are almost like a newer Hewes. I have owned two Hewes RF18 (2013 & 2018) and loved them because I liked the heavier - wider hull for crossing rough open water. Comes down to how/where the boat will be fished. I also like hauling a lot of live bait so I loved the Hewes dual livewells. Seems to me the artificial Guys and fly roders prefer the Maverick.

You can't go wrong with either. Good luck Rustycoke.  

just in the interest of full disclosure; we now run a poor man's Pathfinder, a Cobia bay 21 because our Grandkids came along and we need to accomodate a few more heads. It dosen't run anywhere near as shallow as a Maverick or Hewes

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

quoting "Mavericks are carbon fiber/kevlar hulls" 

Is this a true statement.  I know the 21 MA's are but are all the 17 and 18's?

21 MA's before 2003 are ALL glass.  Late 2003 and beyond received carbon / Kevlar hatches only.  There are rumors of a couple late model "all kevlar" builds but that's it.  

the 18 and 17 MA also went kevlar hatched around 2004, but the hulls are glass from what i've seen.   

• Like 1

Lap it up is correct although I've never heard of any all C/K hulls of any size. Might be remembering that a few were done with varis construction. 

Mine for example is a 05 18. It has C/K hatch lids and some visible C/K in the splash well area. It is also one of a couple done using the varis process. Was told.it only saved about 60 pounds so they didn't continue using varis on other MAs.

Your 15 must be an hpx which is carbon kevlar. I think there some confusion in the above posts regarding the master angler, most were fiberglass the last ones made might have been carbon kevlar but I only remember them having the hatches done in c/k.

Maybe Skip could chime in and make the call.

Coto chimed in as I was typing.  I think he nailed it as some are talking about the HPX line while others the MA line.  Two different boat and two different comparisons to Hewes.  On top of that there is the years comparison in each line.  The original post of Hewes vs Maverick is very broad without knowing what the OP is looking at for a comparison. 

3 hours ago, mulligan said:

Coto chimed in as I was typing.  I think he nailed it as some are talking about the HPX line while others the MA line.  Two different boat and two different comparisons to Hewes.  On top of that there is the years comparison in each line.  The original post of Hewes vs Maverick is very broad without knowing what the OP is looking at for a comparison. 

So the HPX and V models are different hull materials, deadrise and anything else????  I've noticed some MA pics have more deadrise than others and i guess this is why.

26 minutes ago, Rustycoke said:

So the HPX and V models are different hull materials, deadrise and anything else????  I've noticed some MA pics have more deadrise than others and i guess this is why.

The MA and the HPX models are apples and oranges.   The MA is more like the redfisher, but wider and more "tanklike".   The HPX models are narrow, light, technical poling platforms.   Very different applications.     Comparing an MA to an HPX would be similar to comparing a minivan to a corvette.   Same length, very different benefits.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

The MA and the HPX models are apples and oranges.   The MA is more like the redfisher, but wider and more "tanklike".   The HPX models are narrow, light, technical poling platforms.   Very different applications.     Comparing an MA to an HPX would be similar to comparing a minivan to a corvette.   Same length, very different benefits.

Thanks I'm looking but haven't been on or seen one where I live, Panama City. If your familiar with one is the HPX close to my sons Beavertail Mosquito in fishing draft (6inch) and a wetter ride? Not sure of the BT deadrise.

An HPX would be more similar to a Beavertail than an MA or redfisher, so yes, that is probably a good comparison.   I've never been in either, but I know there are a lot of folks on here who have!    

The big question always comes down to how you fish 80% of the time.   If, MOST of the time you:

- fish in less than a foot of water, sneaking around on the pole, with one other experienced fisherman, go HPX/Beavertail/Hellsbay.   

- fish a foot of water or more and you cross big water to get there, have 2 or 3 guys on the boat, use a trolling motor more than a push pole, and like walking around on wide gunnels and on top of the boat, go with the Redfisher, Egret, general purpose flats boat, etc.     

- fish 2-4 people, use the trolling motor a lot, and have guests who are likely to fall off the boat if given the opportunity, go with a Pathy/Cobia/bay boat.   

But, if you just want the best darned boat that was ever made, enjoy the admiration and envy of everyone at the ramp, catch a million fish every trip, and look like a stud doing it, you need a Master Angler.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My little Hpx is a solo fishing boat for me,  I fish in 6 ft of water to 6in all in the back country,If I get stuck I get out and push through the mud LOL. That hasn't happened yet,but close. i swear it rides better than my 20ft LT.,but doesn't go as fast. It's kind of like a toy.

• Like 1