Maverick - Hewes comparison

Rustycoke

16 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

An HPX would be more similar to a Beavertail than an MA or redfisher, so yes, that is probably a good comparison.   I've never been in either, but I know there are a lot of folks on here who have!    

The big question always comes down to how you fish 80% of the time.   If, MOST of the time you:

- fish in less than a foot of water, sneaking around on the pole, with one other experienced fisherman, go HPX/Beavertail/Hellsbay.   

- fish a foot of water or more and you cross big water to get there, have 2 or 3 guys on the boat, use a trolling motor more than a push pole, and like walking around on wide gunnels and on top of the boat, go with the Redfisher, Egret, general purpose flats boat, etc.     

- fish 2-4 people, use the trolling motor a lot, and have guests who are likely to fall off the boat if given the opportunity, go with a Pathy/Cobia/bay boat.   

But, if you just want the best darned boat that was ever made, enjoy the admiration and envy of everyone at the ramp, catch a million fish every trip, and look like a stud doing it, you need a Master Angler.   

good summary.......with a few caveats 

There are two types of HPX's.....the 17's and the 18's...

The 17's are the best poling skiff int the portfolio....COTO runs one and he can EASILY pole my fat AR$E around when he eats his spinach....but, it is TIPPY......

The 18 HPX is really a combination skiff....large live well capacity, it does run the chop and it does pole.....you can get skinny but does not have the knife bow....

I don't think you'd see that much difference running and HPX 18 (NOT 17) and a MA 17 or MA18 under "normal" chop...if you get snotty, the MA's will prevail...but, either is going to be running in the high 20's unless  you are planning a kidney transplant and don't care :)

RF, Egret and Pathy's....spot on....

the only other point to add - East Cape's have made their way into the mix and if you have $$$$ there are other's which are custom built -  Dragonfly is an example....

Well done on the comparison.....and yes, I'm a part of the MA CULT :)  

DC