The future of MBG...

Pathfinder0883

I recently purchased an older Maverick and when I asked about VN number lookup, I got a few laughs....

Then I tried to order generic parts such as console Rod Holders, and a helm cushion Lights, console door hatch and maybe a new console, I was told that MBG does not care to accommodate that kind of business anymore and would not provide those parts. They did not want those new parts on a new new boat. I did not understand.. I said I can retro-fit and it's my responsibility.. But that was not the point.. They did not want their pretty parts on my my old boat.

I was also told that they are a strictly a production boat company now and nothing more. I have owned 3 Pathfinders, two Hewes and a Maverick. Have been a customer for over 19 years. In the past I have bought many parts without a problem. I upgraded a 30 foot Jupiter 4 years ago and Jupiter was absolutely wonderful in supplying parts.  Jupiter is a great boat company from my experience..

I will keep this boat 1-2 years and buy a 26' Bay boat... I can promise it will not be a MBG product. I don't like the attitude and I don't like production boats. Carolina Skiffinder. See ya...

• Like 1

Yep this true. They are not allowing folks with older boats to purchase any kind of parts and I think it is BS!! I too have owned  a few MBG products, an 18 RF, 21 RF, 22 Pathy, and two 17 HPXV’s. I have always been able to order parts from them thru the dealers without any issues even on my recent 17 HPX which I installed one of there current console doors on.

If I ever have a heavy bourbon night and decide to drop $70k on another skiff it will be HB or Drake for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KNOTNOW said:

Im not liking the sound of this! I have a 2015 24TRS and have already replaced a few lights and switches. Was thinking that I would be able to keep this boat a long time and replace or upgrade parts over the years.

Skip is still there in spirit from what I see.... That group with Skip and Sandy.. The destination Bound guy... Will retire and be a thing of the past... The new America. Big company, big bucks.. Churn and burn.... The new America. Scott Diehl should have NEVER sold to a Wall Street company.. He built a product with guys like Skip and walked away with $10's of millions maybe $100's of millions while the name brand is worthless in a few years.. The new America.

If at all possible, remember to always buy small. Find a boat like Gordon or a smaller boat company and buy from them. We all enjoyed the MBG company and it's people for years.. It was a good run. I first fished a Maverick in 1993 in Sebastian Inlet.. A 1989 Maverick 18.5. I was amazed at the quality. Have owned 6 MBG boats since. Those days are gone.

KNOTNOW you are as has been.. They only care about you because you can finance and buy a new boat..... Borrow money from Scott and the billionaires in Jupiter and WPB Florida....

13 hours ago, Pathfinder0883 said:

I was also told that they are a strictly a production boat company now and nothing more.

The dealer network layer has always been a big deterrent to me.

10 hours ago, Coto said:

Yep this true. They are not allowing folks with older boats to purchase any kind of parts and I think it is BS!! I too have owned  a few MBG products, an 18 RF, 21 RF, 22 Pathy, and two 17 HPXV’s. I have always been able to order parts from them thru the dealers without any issues even on my recent 17 HPX which I installed one of there current console doors on.

If I ever have a heavy bourbon night and decide to drop $70k on another skiff it will be HB or Drake for me.

Floyd 10wt if going new has my eye...

• Like 2

I think some people don’t understand how a manufacturing company works.  It’s about making or buying the pieces and putting them together and get the product out the door quickly with good quality.

Making and selling misc parts disrupts the flow of parts, particularly when you are running near or at 100% capacity .  MBG is no little boat company and can’t afford to be run like one.

• Like 1

If this were to continue, it would definitely cause me to go elsewhere for my next boat.   I have never understoody why boat manufacturers dont recognize the power of the population of people who buy their used boats.   Fact is, most people start used and work their way to new.   If they like the experience with a brand, they are more likely to stay with it.    But burn them and they buy new somewhere else.

In this economy, that doesnt matter, of course.  Too many people out there too willing to get a loan that will last longer than the boat, but economiea that go up, also go down.   At some point, it will matter.  

All good though, my MA still has many years in her, so no need to buy a new Egret yet!

• Like 4

The factory is not a boaters supply house.

They order and source from outside vendors to assemble their product.

Parts get ordered per boat production needs.

Not good business sense to have huge parts inventory.

They don't stock/source spare parts except for warranty items.

I have owned continuously/currently their products for 22 years now.

I have needed stuff out of warranty several times over the years and got the same response were seeing now 15 years ago or better.

I have also dealt with other very large builders and their business model was similar.

Just got to *** it up and source your own parts.

I do agree we are gonna miss the long time players when they are gone.

15 minutes ago, Moderator said:

Anybody even think about the parts supply ?  Hard to get parts to build boats.. ?

Can’t spare the few chrome goods they have left ?

Just throwing that out there, like toilet paper, computer chips for new cars, Outboard motors..

Marc

With no relief in site.

Resin Shortages

All Mercury outboards over 40 HP are over 1 year out except for OEM and they are struggling. Yamaha is not much better.

No manufacturer is gonna sell a 100 dollar part that may delay completion of a 100K boat.

To add, your usually money way ahead to go straight to the source.

12 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

With no relief in site.

Resin Shortages

All Mercury outboards over 40 HP are over 1 year out except for OEM and they are struggling. Yamaha is not much better.

No manufacturer is gonna sell a 100 dollar part that may delay completion of a 100K boat.

To add, your usually money way ahead to go straight to the source.

What was worthy of noting is that I never had this problem in the past with MBG. They were great. Also, what was even more amazing was how Jupiter Boats had the $20,000 in parts delivered within 2-3 days and never a problem. Seats, rubrail, pumps, hinges paint and gelcoat and much more. I would without a doubt recommend a Jupiter boat to anyone. Best boat that I ever owned. I think that is why they moved to the gulf coast... Just a different approach.

Some of what we are talking about is generational. I am 62 and in my generation how you treated customers and product support was extremely important. For the younguns no so much, They treat each other like shute and don't seem to mind. 

This does matter to me and no more MBG for me. Egret or Ranger/Yellowfin will be my next boat.

I agree with the Moderator’s statement. Parts are in short supply, so they are catering to warranty and production. People refurbishing an older boat are at the bottom of the list, just the way it is and somebody has to be at the bottom. Try to buy appliances, furniture or home building products right now, frustrating at best.

If you are going to change who you buy from, good luck, everyone is in the same situation right now, it is not just an MBG thing. People blaming new ownership are likely barking up the wrong tree.

• Like 1

I do hate to see a Great Company like MBG lose its family ownership. I have personally worked through that environment twice in my time. It does not always turn out bad but There Is Always Something Lost.  

I agree with supply shortages being a problem. If you called me wanting a part at this time I would have to KINDLY decline. It is very hard to keep good stock right now.

My boat is a 2012 and I have never sourced a part from MBG. I always find a replacement for what I need either directly from their source or a better (easier) source locally. "Everything" on my Pathfinder can be replaced without contacting MBG.

If Pathfinder0883 would have been treated differently on his initial contact I believe this would currently be a non issue. 

There in is the....."There Is Always Something Lost" 

• Like 1

I have tried to order parts from MBG in the past, after Ray retired, and was told that they do not sell parts direct to the consumer.  The MBG CSR did however, tell me who makes the part for MBG, so I could call and sweet talk the supplier into selling me the unique part.  I think the right thing for MBG to do (the correct customer-care policy for loyal, long-time MBG owners), is to redirect the boat owner to the parts maker or supplier, to buy direct, without having to go through the dealer.  MBG has the buying power to work this out with the suppliers.  This way, everyone wins.  MBG gets to concentrate on just building boats.  The suppliers get to continue to be the MBG suppliers.  The boat owners stay happy with their MBG products and spread the good word.  If supplies are out of stock because of material shortages, then it's tough luck, and no one is to blame.  We just have to wait for better times - like we are now.

• Like 2

I hear ya !  Anyone can have a bad phone call and that’s on the factory. 
When MBG brought the Cobia line to Florida, they instantly ran out of room at their factory.  They had no room to store parts for previous models. That was around 2007. Then, after the recession, the factory went to three shifts~6 days per week. They had to find another site and develop it. 
Maverick has always sought out and purchased the finest hardware to build boats with. Better parts were put on the line whenever they were tested and accepted. Past-Reliable accessories like bilge pumps got outsourced to you-know-where and failed on new owners. They were replaced by the next best provider. Flounder Pounder Marine in Ft Pierce took on the older parts the factory purged. Worth a try to check with them
So, to find out what hatch gasket was used on a 1993 Maverick 17... may be challenging unless you take a section and identify it online or at a supply house. I don’t think that a chronological spreadsheet of parts/supplies installed was created for years.  Building great boats for specific purposes was their primary focus. 
Now is a difficult time all the way around. Sorry they didn’t sell you the parts you wanted.

Marc

2 hours ago, geeviam said:

I have tried to order parts from MBG in the past, after Ray retired, and was told that they do not sell parts direct to the consumer.  The MBG CSR did however, tell me who makes the part for MBG, so I could call and sweet talk the supplier into selling me the unique part.  I think the right thing for MBG to do (the correct customer-care policy for loyal, long-time MBG owners), is to redirect the boat owner to the parts maker or supplier, to buy direct, without having to go through the dealer.  MBG has the buying power to work this out with the suppliers.  This way, everyone wins.  MBG gets to concentrate on just building boats.  The suppliers get to continue to be the MBG suppliers.  The boat owners stay happy with their MBG products and spread the good word.  If supplies are out of stock because of material shortages, then it's tough luck, and no one is to blame.  We just have to wait for better times - like we are now.

Geeviam - well said.  I absolutely get both sides of this.   At some point, a new boat manufacturer has to focus on what they do - build new boats.   On the other hand, if those new boats are built well, they hang around for a long time - 20, 30 years and have cult-like followings that are willing to go upside down in value to restore them to new again . . . which requires parts.    If MBG is saying "screw you, we don't sell parts, go somewhere else" - that's pretty crappy, even if it is within their rights to do so.  If MBG is simply saying, as Geeviam suggested, "That's not our primary business, but let us get you to the right people" then that's totally understandable and acceptable.    I don't know what was said on the actual phone call, so I'll hope it was the latter.

My own experience with MBG has been that they build great boats and have decent customer service.  That's certainly an acceptable position to take, and the demand is more than adequate to support that model.   As an owner, though, you tend to get emotionally attached to your boat and it's manufacturer and you really hope to find that company that not only offers high quality products, but also offers high quality, over the top service.    When you find that, you aren't just loyal, you are rabidly loyal.  

Imagine if MBG did what Power Pole does.   They would have been the ones to buy Malibu, not the other way around. . . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moderator said:

I hear ya !  Anyone can have a bad phone call and that’s on the factory. 
When MBG brought the Cobia line to Florida, they instantly ran out of room at their factory.  They had no room to store parts for previous models. That was around 2007. Then, after the recession, the factory went to three shifts~6 days per week. They had to find another site and develop it. 
Maverick has always sought out and purchased the finest hardware to build boats with. Better parts were put on the line whenever they were tested and accepted. Past-Reliable accessories like bilge pumps got outsourced to you-know-where and failed on new owners. They were replaced by the next best provider. Flounder Pounder Marine in Ft Pierce took on the older parts the factory purged. Worth a try to check with them
So, to find out what hatch gasket was used on a 1993 Maverick 17... may be challenging unless you take a section and identify it online or at a supply house. I don’t think that a chronological spreadsheet of parts/supplies installed was created for years.  Building great boats for specific purposes was their primary focus. 
Now is a difficult time all the way around. Sorry they didn’t sell you the parts you wanted.

Marc

The point in all of this was not that they did not necessarily that sell the parts but rather the approach and the "production boat" mentality. That will not work for long.  With Jupiter there were some items that they simply told me the supplier and part number. That worked beautifully. In this particular instance, both MBG and the dealer simply said sorry.. See ya.. Good luck. I don't like that approach.

• Like 1

One of the main purpose of a dealer is to take care of the customers for the manufacturer.

If you need a Ford part you go to the dealer who has the ability to get the Ford part. You do not call Ford Motor Co. If not available  you get the  aftermarket part.

If MBG dealers were on the ball they would have the ability to get what is needed by the customer either from the factory or have the knowledge to get it  from the supplier. 

Boat manufacturers deal with suppliers for everything they use on a boat and a good network of dealers should have  access to the same people. Thus the manufacturer does not deal with the small petty stuff but the original quality items can be obtained by the customer.

2 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

My god at the whining, lol.... owned 4 MBG boats over the last 27 years.... only once needed to get something from MBG ( and it was a have to due to the nature of the part), got all the other bajillion parts I needed thru cheaper sources EZPZ

Amen!!

I’m on my third Pathfinder and have never once had the won’t or desire to call the manufacturer for a part. Never even crossed my mind. All the Pathfinders, including my current one is in much better shape from all the work I’ve put into them and all parts/supplies were out sourced. 

Now if it were a new boat and I was getting this kind of run around it would be different. Once the warranty is out you’re on your on. 

When your water pump goes out on your 2004 F-150 do you call Ford Motor Co.? 🤦🏻

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pathfinder0883 said:

What was worthy of noting is that I never had this problem in the past with MBG. They were great. Also, what was even more amazing was how Jupiter Boats had the $20,000 in parts delivered within 2-3 days and never a problem. Seats, rubrail, pumps, hinges paint and gelcoat and much more. I would without a doubt recommend a Jupiter boat to anyone. Best boat that I ever owned. I think that is why they moved to the gulf coast... Just a different approach.

Some of what we are talking about is generational. I am 62 and in my generation how you treated customers and product support was extremely important. For the younguns no so much, They treat each other like shute and don't seem to mind. 

This does matter to me and no more MBG for me. Egret or Ranger/Yellowfin will be my next boat.

I am your age exactly. Egret has been sold, Ranger is junk from bass pro and Wiley and staff could give 2 poops about your 15 year old Yellowfin.

The 2 YF's I have spent time on both have Contender like fuel tank issues. They could give 2 poops just like Contender about 20 year old boats they built.

I get to run lots of boats in my stable. Currently dealing with a Pursuit which also has been sold out. Minor issue but the dealer nor the builder could give 2 poops. The boat is still in warranty and the owner ain't waiting months for a couple of chicken *** items. I sourced and already made the repair.

Sure as you say Jupiter boats was all over 20K worth of parts. They are a low volume builder with a good product.

I hope the 20K they charged you were not for 10K worth of stuff.

I hear you and understand the frustration. But I think a reality check is in order.

If and when I hear of any builder not properly honoring their warranty then all bets are off no matter who they are.

The entire reason this forum exists is for everyone to share or gain knowledge on how to solve issues with our boats. If you just picked up the phone and called MGB every time you needed a part or advice we wouldn’t be having this or any other discussion. 

3 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

I am your age exactly. Egret has been sold, Ranger is junk from bass pro and Wiley and staff could give 2 poops about your 15 year old Yellowfin.

The 2 YF's I have spent time on both have Contender like fuel tank issues. They could give 2 poops just like Contender about 20 year old boats they built.

I get to run lots of boats in my stable. Currently dealing with a Pursuit which also has been sold out. Minor issue but the dealer nor the builder could give 2 poops. The boat is still in warranty and the owner ain't waiting months for a couple of chicken *** items. I sourced and already made the repair.

Sure as you say Jupiter boats was all over 20K worth of parts. They are a low volume builder with a good product.

I hope the 20K they charged you were not for 10K worth of stuff.

I hear you and understand the frustration. But I think a reality check is in order.

If and when I hear of any builder not properly honoring their warranty then all bets are off no matter who they are.

You know Captain, in reality it's the direction of this country in general. People just don't feel accountable anymore, especially to each other. Heck man, I will take our 1980's and 1990's easily over this shute. MBG, Yellowfin, Contender or whatever, are ran by the same people that grew up in the same self-centered American culture of *** every drop of blood from everything to benefit me.. Me... Me... . Honestly, I'm kind of done with it.  The less people and problems that I have to address, the better. This is a totally different country than it was even 10 years ago.

I am a free market guy, so all of you are right.. MBG has a right to have a FU attitude.. They own the company. Me... I'm want out of the shute and at 62, I am almost there.