Is my OCD the issue or

nigel

Is this a real “problem”

ok so I took my boat 97 redfisher to the seadek folks in Panama City beach.  We were looking at some measurements and stuff this stuck out like a sore thumb to me. 

the black circle is access to the top of the fuel tank.  It is off center from the console.  So if I seadek this thing It will look really weird.    I will add a pic of the flooring I’m trying to do but now that I see this being off center, I can’t unsee it. 

the seadeck guy tried to tell me that hewes has consoles off center all the time due to “human error”   I was like “cmon man, they are a big company  they can’t let stuff happen like that”   I don’t know of the access panel is off or the console   

image.thumb.jpeg.a3e60c2a8063ebbadf036ce713a0bf88.jpeg

image.thumb.png.0ac47070c3c3b5bef363b04b5c378168.png

More likely the access port is not center.  If the console was that far off center it would be really noticeable I would think. Get the tape measure out and check it. Either way it is not really a Problem. You could get creative and make the access port less noticeable.

2 minutes ago, jh141 said:

More likely the access port is not center.  If the console was that far off center it would be really noticeable I would think. Get the tape measure out and check it. Either way it is not really a Problem. You could get creative and make the access port less noticeable.

My guess is the access port is issue too.  But why is the question?  Is that something aftermarket?   

2 minutes ago, jh141 said:

I would say yes. A previous owner putting the access where they wanted it or where it was easiest to reach the fuel pickup or sender. Remember, back in the day pretty was not the thing, us old guys wanted functionality,  LOL 

Ha. Fair enough. Well, maybe I can have the seadek folks cut out a circle to look identical to the port cover and flank it on the left just to balance it out.   

Just an observation on my part BUT............why wouldn't the manufacturer move the fuel sender location back a foot to make access through the center console. It would just be re-locating the unit mounting location back further on the tank during manufacturing, unless the tank does not go under the console? That would make for a much cleaner deck. Is that the only tank access, what about hose connections? 

13 hours ago, nigel said:

Is this a real “problem”

ok so I took my boat 97 redfisher to the seadek folks in Panama City beach.  We were looking at some measurements and stuff this stuck out like a sore thumb to me. 

the black circle is access to the top of the fuel tank.  It is off center from the console.  So if I seadek this thing It will look really weird.    I will add a pic of the flooring I’m trying to do but now that I see this being off center, I can’t unsee it. 

the seadeck guy tried to tell me that hewes has consoles off center all the time due to “human error”   I was like “cmon man, they are a big company  they can’t let stuff happen like that”   I don’t know of the access panel is off or the console   

image.thumb.jpeg.a3e60c2a8063ebbadf036ce713a0bf88.jpeg

You could always add another one left of it to equal it out, but then again why cut another hole in the boat if it is never going to get used!!!!😁

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NCTribute said:

Seems like a tape measure and taking a look after removing the cover would answer most of your questions. If the seam of the Sea Dek is centered, the cutout would be off to one side of the seam and would not look bad at all.

I know what you’re saying. I can tell ya, without a tape on it, that’s is off.  I was more or less just Curious to see if any of you guys knew why.  

Just echoing what others have said, it has to be an aftermarket addition to allow access to the tank. And I'd assume the reason it's off center is because the prior owner placed it in a spot that gave him the most convenient/direct access to tank. Changing it to white (or color of seadek) would definitely help it blend in a bit. 

• Like 2

These "pie plate" access holes in general are pure garbage. I'm probably more OCD than most, but the fact that a brand new ($50-60-80k+ now) boat has these cheap access holes in the deck is an abomination. I personally think they should be molded fiberglass hatches if it's necessary. The pie holes just look cheap. 

That being said, if it were my boat I would remove it, glass it, gelcoat it and apply my SeaDek over it. If I needed access in the future I would make a larger access hatch under the console, however big I could fit and go from there.

Josh B.

On 8/2/2021 at 1:44 PM, smilemaker said:

Most likely done for access to change the fuel sensor.

Pick a seadeck design that will minimize the look.

Someday you will be glad it is there 

Someone above posted a pic of what theirs looks like under that cover.  I assume this is the file sensor?

image.jpeg.bab750236f27429b2b0f16b028b02476.jpeg

18 hours ago, nigel said:

Someone above posted a pic of what theirs looks like under that cover.  I assume this is the file sensor?

image.jpeg.bab750236f27429b2b0f16b028b02476.jpeg

Thats the picture of the fuel sending unit in my old 99 17MA. Inaccessible from the pie hole. Where the fuel lines attach to the back of the tank, there is zero access, had to create a new pie hole in the console to be able to change fuel lines. I had to cut a secondary hole for the fuel sending unit to gain access to the fuel sending unit...major pia. That "access" was inside my console, front seat under my TM batts.

• Like 1