2021 HPX-V 18 Bilge Issue

17macae

Sounds like the hose has come loose from the thru-hull fitting on the inside.  Do you have access to hold a cell phone back behind it and take a video?  If not, you may have to cut an access hole inside the starboard compartment wall to get to it.  Buy a cover plate/inspection plate first so you know the correct hole size to cut.

The portal is about 4 inches and I can't get my hand in there.

What next - I don't even know where to start cutting?

image.thumb.png.d779b061ece7c16a451d2ac192662e42.png

Southern Wake:

I forgot to remove the plug after a trip.  While rinsing, the biige activated and nothing shot out the side.

It appears that I'm not picking up any water during operation. 

Just purchased the boat used  4/11/23.

Todd

8 hours ago, 17macae said:

The portal is about 4 inches and I can't get my hand in there.

What next - I don't even know where to start cutting?

Wow!  That looks tight with all the wiring and hydraulic lines in there.  I wouldn't risk cutting there.  I don't know enough about the HPX-V 18 hatch locations and thru-hull fitting locations to offer a definite answer on this.  Usually those type hose connections are double clamped and glued on with some 3M marine caulking, to make sure they never come loose easily - at least my 2016 Hewes Redfisher was built that way.  Hopefully there's some way to access the thru-hull fitting from maybe another angle in a different hatch (or the bilge) without having to cut more of the bucket wall out.  Wish I could see more of it in person and had a better idea to fix it.  A boat rigging/repair shop might have a knowledgeable, tiny, skinny person who could crawl in there and get it done right for you.

Dabear - The water just goes in the bilge. When the bilge pump runs, water just returns from the starboard side.

Another option may be to drill a new bilge hole on the port side but I can not see in that area either.

I just need to know where to cut.  Might have to rent a borescope.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:59 PM, 17macae said:

Dabear - The water just goes in the bilge. When the bilge pump runs, water just returns from the starboard side.

Another option may be to drill a new bilge hole on the port side but I can not see in that area either.

I just need to know where to cut.  Might have to rent a borescope.

You'd still have a problem with the existing thru-hull fitting, its essentially a hole in the side of your boat and water will enter every time it dips underwater. I'd consider cutting out that corner of the tub/compartment to get the access you need and have a glass guy repair it and spray it before I'd drill a new thru-hull. Really tough area to access for sure.

That access hole does look tight, but if you take off (unscrew) the outer housing - that should give you a little bit of access to get your hand and a camera to take video or pics of what is going on - I did that on my older Hewes to replace the plastic thru hull with a  stainless....otherwise...

I would get a bore scope  and enter from the outside of the bilge outlet to see if maybe the hose came off or if there is any obstruction or possible crack in that hose.  If so, you can cut a hole on the side of that compartment if necessary for better - direct access to the hose/thru hull connection.  I did my replacement with an access hole almost exactly where yours is. 

• Like 1

The bilge is connected to the thru hull but seems to be kinked.  I'm only getting 60 GPH out the discharge - it runs down the side of the boat.

The previous owner cut the bilge discharge and installed a DIY PVC Tee connected to a hose. Water flew out when I directed it to the hose.  This connection was very leaky and I removed it. I then properly connected the pump to the bilge hose. 

The 1200 GPH pump is clean and operates normally when connected to another hose. It says with 3 foot of discharge head, the pump should discharge 700GPH.

The borescope was fun but revealed nothing but a cluster of wiring and nothing that I could discern inside the hose.  I saw a fly that got stuck in just outside the rod tube - that could have been a disaster it the hook had penetrated a hydraulic line.

When I had it disassembled, I back flushed with the garden hose and the flow seemed restricted then too.  No debris that I could see came out.

Sewer snake next??

• Like 1

Do I need a riser loop in the bilge line?

I went ahead and cut a hole. 

The riser loop has 2 kinks and I can not do anything to relieve them. There is not much room in there for the loop. The hose does an upward loop from the bilge discharge and then goes down to the hull and over to the pump . 

I could cut out the loop and re-attach the section but then I would have no loop.

image.png.78dec0857039162cba847a5f1ab2cffb.png